• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another Reason to Avoid the Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Right, because Islam is the only religion with insane zealots who give the mainstream followers a bad name.

KKK members,
The "god hates fags" and "god hates soldiers" crowd,
Abortion Clinic Bombers,
Catholic Priests who touch little boys,
Slave holders who used the bible as justification,
etc.
etc.

Are they all islamic too? Or is it possible that there are insanely bigoted christians who have no good contribution to make to society too?

As someone who is not religious at all, I really get a kick out of it when people look at other religions as if they're somehow less valid than their own- as if out of the hundreds of organized religions in the world, they're the chosen few who have figured out the "real" one.

Do you know many muslims? I know quite a few, and every one of them is every bit as normal as the catholics, jews and protestants that I know. The terrorists that we're all rightly worried about are no more muslim than the groups I mentioned above are christian. As long as religion exists, there will be bad people who exploit it and twist it to justify their own personal hatred- the religion is just a convenient cover for a deeper problem.

Oh so the catholics are the only ones who had that problem? Buddy, you need to pull your head outta yer arse...

I guess it is time to play cowboys and muslims.

FBI: Extremists seek school bus work
By LARA JAKES JORDAN, Associated Press Writer Fri Mar 16, 7:07 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Suspected members of extremist groups have signed up as school bus drivers in the United States, counterterror officials said Friday, in a cautionary bulletin to police. An FBI spokesman said, "Parents and children have nothing to fear."

"Have nothing to fear"

OK you guys are missing the point here. This goes beyond the Democrats and Replublican thing.

Oh so the catholics are the only ones who had that problem? Buddy, you need to pull your head outta yer arse...

My head is frequently in my ass, but it's not on this issue.

Those groups that I mentioned aren't all Catholic. Most were protestant. Doesn't matter though, I was just using it to illustrate that Islam isn't the only religion guilty of things that they should be ashamed of. I'm not supporting any one religion above another, I don't follow any of them, my point was that no one of them has the moral high ground over another.

There's something that sociologists talk about called "ingroup bias" where people see themselves as better on any number of levels than people of another group. It's a natural part of human nature, but bad people in each and every religion use it to exploit certain followers to lead them down a divergent path from the true, well-intentioned teachings of that religion. This is where you get extremist terrorists from, as well as all those groups that I mentioned which you indicated that you thought were all Catholic. In no way do I think that any of those groups represent the mainstream of the religions, nor do extremists suicidal terrorists represent the mainstream of Islam. I don't think it's right to hold the worst examples of any group up as the models for the entire group.

Aside from all that, one of the first posts in the thread, and the one that prompted my response, said that we should eliminate all Muslims from the face of the Earth because they don't contribute enough. Sounds to me like something Adolf Hitler would have said and I think the overwhelming majority will agree that Genocide is generally not a good plan.

My head is frequently in my ass, but it's not on this issue.

Those groups that I mentioned aren't all Catholic. Most were protestant. Doesn't matter though, I was just using it to illustrate that Islam isn't the only religion guilty of things that they should be ashamed of. I'm not supporting any one religion above another, I don't follow any of them, my point was that no one of them has the moral high ground over another.

There's something that sociologists talk about called "ingroup bias" where people see themselves as better on any number of levels than people of another group. It's a natural part of human nature, but bad people in each and every religion use it to exploit certain followers to lead them down a divergent path from the true, well-intentioned teachings of that religion. This is where you get extremist terrorists from, as well as all those groups that I mentioned which you indicated that you thought were all Catholic. In no way do I think that any of those groups represent the mainstream of the religions, nor do extremists suicidal terrorists represent the mainstream of Islam. I don't think it's right to hold the worst examples of any group up as the models for the entire group.
While I don't disagree with most of your points I would submit that radical Islam contributes by far the largest portion of the violence in the name of religion. And that the moderate muslim community does little or nothing to condemn or curb these actions. Yes, you can find a few examples, but not many. Alternately the Catholic community at large was absolutely furious about the molestations, and the abortion clinic bombings were soundly condemned by nearly everyone. These people are marginalized at every opportunity by everyone else that shares their religion. You don't see that in the muslim community. They are running scared instead of standing up to these animals.

Latest resources

Back