Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SpatialD

Fed up
I think I mentioned this on another thread, but thought it was worth starting a new one for anyone not following along there.

Article originally posted at FedUpFlyers.org:

FLL – 11/4/10 – Pilot Ann Poe

On Thursday November 4th TSA prevented me from taking my commuter flight to EWR to work my BOM (Mumbai) trip. I was detained by TSA for two hours. I have an artificial hip.

I had the choice of either going through the body scanner and subjecting myself to radiation and violation of HIPPA laws (medical privacy laws) or being sexually molested. I have adjusted as much as I could since my pelvic area was violated by TSA in April 2010. That event affected my job performance, personal life and health for months.

I don’t wear a bra, company or union pin, earrings, watch and wear pull up pants without a zipper. The pilots I’ve seen going through secondary screening and a fellow First Officer on my last trip had never had their chest, butt, and groin area inappropriately touched. I made a decision on November 4th as a professional pilot that safety of flight could be compromised as a result of being physically violated by TSA today and as a result I would be overstressed and fatigued for my flight to BOM. TSA is now affecting my livelihood.

I just found out from a friend today that even if there is just a metal scanner at the check point in FLL all passengers alarming are aggressively molested. TSA is no longer wanding and patting down only areas that alarm. Until November 1,2010 TSA was only molesting the women that had to go through secondary screening. Now anyone going through secondary is being groped.

The FAA is involved in a major fatigue study. I feel the largest impact on fatigue is stress. Pilots are subject to physical, mental and emotional stress everyday they get on an airplane caused by going through TSA security. We have all had background checks and have been fingerprinted and yet I cannot go to work now because of an artificial hip. I could carry a gun and not be molested but not just carry my artificial hip. I and any other pilot should not have to submit to physical molestation to do our job. Pilots are on the front line of security.

I greatly appreciate the support of everyone I have flown with and shared what I have been going through. I know none of you would want this happening to your wives, daughters, sisters and mothers. Now everyone, men, women, and children who have artificial joints, shrapnel, petal plates and screw will be groped everywhere, not just where they alarm.

Subjecting ourselves to additional radiation with the body scanner and its invasion of medical privacy (if anyone has a pace maker, IUD, radiation implant for prostate cancer etc. etc. ) or being sexually molested should not be part of our job. TSA is now actively groping the breasts, butt, pelvic and groin area, and running hands up thighs until they stop. It is a hugh stressor, contributes to fatigue and safety of flight. Now it is costing me my livelihood.

TSA approved the crew pass some time ago but it is up to the company or union to implement it. A short time fix would be to continue using the wands and only pat down the area that alarms. I was told by TSA that would not be happening as there is too much big money involved with the body scanner.

A friend of mine yesterday saw TSA run their hand all over an elderly women and then pull the front of her pants out and run their hand on her skin between the passenger’s stomach and pants.

Subjecting ourselves to additional radiation with the body scanner and its invasion of medical privacy (if anyone has a pace maker, IUD, radiation implant for prostate cancer etc. etc. ), or being sexually molested should not be part of our job. TSA is now actively groping the breasts, butt, pelvic and groin area, and running hands up thighs until they stop. It is a hugh stressor, contributes to fatigue and safety of flight. Now it is costing me my livelihood.

TSA’s response is they are just doing their job. Sound famliar?

Thanks for listening and your support and please send you complaints to the following address.

[email protected]

Thanks

Ann Poe

Ann Poe has been in the airline industry for 37 years. She is a 777 pilot at Continental Airlines and was one of the first 100 female commercial airline pilots in the United States.

Last edited:
but but but they have a thurvey comin' out AthAP!

these are low class scum bags ( low paid beaurocrats). These are the same people that will be rationing your health care in the future

Where can we get pull up pants???

No we shouldn't have to do this, yes, I think she is a bit over the top!

Even the most "vivid" pictures I have seen does not shown internal organs or implantations.

Two hours for a patdown?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back