• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pc12_driver

Here's the scoop:

-Part 91 Pilot/ Manager in the SE
-BE200 (30 yrs old), C402 (20 yrs old), PA32 (new)
-Salary 57k plus benefits, vehicle, no 401k
-8 days off per month, not guaranteed
-Most flying Wed thru Mon
-6 owners (all want to ride right seat)
-CFI, II, MEI required to give instruction during flights and give 2 owners their PPL, instrument etc
-was told extra money could be made "chartering" when owners not using a/c
-never had a "corporate pilot", so there are no provisions for expense account, petty cash, etc

Question: Is this fair pay or should it be higher? I know there are "sluts" that would take this pay, but what is it REALLY worth for a professional?

PC12,

I was offered a similar position in the southern Chicago area. The aircraft was PC12 and everytime I met with the main owner the number of parterns went up. I asked for 90,000 based on the work schedule and the fact that they wanted to do 135. The owner just lauged at me and proceeded to find someone that would do it for cheaper. Guess what, he was able to find someone only days later. Fight the good fight, but be able to deal with the outcome. Something better will come along if it doesn't work out.

Good luck,

ewarning

Another pay question
Here's the scoop:

-CFI, II, MEI required to give instruction during flights and give 2 owners their PPL, instrument etc
-never had a "corporate pilot", so there are no provisions for expense account, petty cash, etc

Question: Is this fair pay or should it be higher? I know there are "sluts" that would take this pay, but what is it REALLY worth for a professional?

Last edited:
pc12_driver said:
Here's the scoop:

The six owners are the bigest problem here. You almost certainaly will be run ragged with schedule conflicts.

Charter? Do you have a certificate? What about the insurance? When would you do it on the eight unguaranteed days off?

Don't walk away from these guys run very fast.

Just my opinion.

I would think at least 90K for a 135 "manager". And that doesn't include what they will have to pay you for your services as a flight instructor. I would demand 8 hard days off. Will they be paying for your health/dental/vision, etc? If not, then ask in the 110K range.

If it were a b200 only, and one owner, just flying with no mgmt duties it would be on the low side of OK.

Sounds to me like they are looking to fill 3 positions for one salary.

Pilot
Fleet manager
Flight instructor

This description looks like a hornets nest to me. As far as flying for 6 owners sharing 3 planes, just go outside and slam your hand in a car door. I think that pain will go away sooner than what they are proposing.

Holy crap, that sounds like a pretty crummy situation at any price, let alone 57K.

Very bad deal! Very bad deal!

Also, sounds like another 134.5 charter unofficial/illegal/operator, but I guess we all already suspected that

Working 23 days a month, flying and most likely managing 3 aircraft? Only one person?

That is a $100K job, that will most likely be impossible for one guy to do. The $57K wouldn't even be good pay for flying and managing the KingAir alone.

I would get crystal clear with them on a job description, on charter (ie where is the certificate, I want to meet the DoM and DO), and how they can take away "hard days off". I would ask them upfornt whether or not salary is negotiable. If it isn't, you will have a tough decision. This sounds like one of those "bet your certificate" type jobs, so make sure you get paid.

Latest resources

Back