• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper

NTSB Identification: DCA05WA073
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 129: Foreign operation of Air Canada Jazz
Incident occurred Friday, June 10, 2005 in Canada/US border
Aircraft: , registration: Injuries: Unavailable

An Air Canada Jazz Bombardier CL-600-2D15, tail number C-FBJZ, was operating as flight JZA8501 from Houston, Texas to Calgary, Alberta Canada, experienced a stick shaker event while at flight level 400 and in the vicinity of the US/Canada border.

The airplane experienced a loss of airspeed and the flight crew pitched the nose down to maintain airspeed. The stick shaker and an aural stall warning sounded. The descent was arrested at flight level 380.

One passenger struck their head on the overhead bins during the descent maneuver. The Transportation Safety Board Canada is investigating and the Safety Board has provided a US accredited representative.​

Last edited:
Apparently these folks aren't reading FlightInfo.com!!!!! We're going to have to insist that all pilots read FlightInfo, and perhaps take a comprehension test, prior to flying each day.

:)

On a serious note... I alluded to this in a post a few days ago... I don't think the lessons fo PCL 3701 are being widely shared, if they're even being acknowledged, by even the training department at the airline where it happened. It's little surprise, then, that it's not shared among other operators of the same aircraft or similar aircraft.

When my wife complains about me "playing" on FlightInfo (OK, she's right most of the time :)) I point out this and other topics of discussion where I believe we gain invaluable benefit from sharing information. We're all potentially much better off for having been here.

I'm glad these guys didn't fight the stick shaker, didn't flame out the engines, and DID live to write the safety reports.

TonyC said:
Apparently these folks aren't reading FlightInfo.com!!!!! We're going to have to insist that all pilots read FlightInfo, and perhaps take a comprehension test, prior to flying each day.

On a serious note... I alluded to this in a post a few days ago... I don't think the lessons fo PCL 3701 are being widely shared, if they're even being acknowledged, by even the training department at the airline where it happened. It's little surprise, then, that it's not shared among other operators of the same aircraft or similar aircraft.

When my wife complains about me "playing" on FlightInfo (OK, she's right most of the time :)) I point out this and other topics of discussion where I believe we gain invaluable benefit from sharing information. We're all potentially much better off for having been here.

I'm glad these guys didn't fight the stick shaker, didn't flame out the engines, and DID live to write the safety reports.

I know we have talked about this here at ASA; so hopefully every operator is
passing the info along to their pilots.

Dudes and especially dudettes need to be careful operating the CRJ at 410. It takes a skilled hand to keep it up there and I've done it before so I know what I speak.

What are the techniques? Besides the usual 'follow the OM', 'don't exceed the certification limits', 'fly the minimum speed for that PA/gross wt'?

Hand-fly is better?

Don't yank it around in general?

Keep the bank under 20deg?

First sign of trouble, put everyone to the roof? ;)

I have been trying to find the ntsb report on the original, fatal one (the abbreviated one, not the 15-pager) without luck. Help?

"dudettes"??

ring the gong--this one is done!

how smurfy
oh smurfette
those dam(n) monkeys and smurfs and dudettes. (mr. heston please take your seat)

john

Tony,

You have mentioned before that the lessons from 3701 haven't been applied......

But the official report isn't out yet..... There was a hearing and facts were released.....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Tony,

You have mentioned before that the lessons from 3701 haven't been applied......

But the official report isn't out yet..... There was a hearing and facts were released.....

I understand your point, and agree.

However...

Some things can clearly be gleaned from just what we know already: the little that was released, and the proceedings that were public. Clearly, some action has already been taken - - altitude restrictions, company procedures on repositioning flights (flight data recorders), etc. There may be some recommendations that the NTSB makes that aren't yet obvious, but there are SOME lessons that seem obvious already. I guess I'm a little impatient, but I would have thought that the training department might apply what has been learned already to better prepare the pilots that are on the line today. It would be tragic if this same type of thing were to happen prior to the release of the NTSB's final report.

I suppose making some changes, though, would be tantamount to admitting a portion of the fault. I'll leave it at that.

TonyC said:
I suppose making some changes, though, would be tantamount to admitting a portion of the fault. I'll leave it at that.

Being at fault or not, some changes need to be made, and that shouldn't be the reason for not making changes so far. It would suck to lose more pilots because of this.

Latest resources

Back