Another Near Stall Incident Involving a CRJ at FL400

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JohnE said:
Whats the big deal? Just lower the nose and recover. Sounds like the pilot (HPIC) threw the control wheel forward in a panic and some pax got jostled around a bit. He should learn some finesse.

Would be curious though what sort of pitch attitude they would be using up that high.

This coming from a 350 hour hot shot...

Flechas said:
This coming from a 350 hour hot shot...

LOL! But seriously.. Wouldn't the pilot see the high pitch angle? I ass-u-me that they are basically at the max ceiling and are at a high angle of attack. Still getting a decent TAS, but not IAS. Maybe he could have lowered the nose smoothly.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
The person you talked to was new to MEM? Getting his drivers license I think. Well perhaps he was brand new to the company..... ( can you clairfy your encounter).

IF you are this educated on the issue then why wouldn't we be? Just becuase you ran into ONE pilot, who may have been a new hire?
From what I could tell, the guy I ran into had completed training, and then moved his family to Memphis, and was finally geting around to the administrative details of changing his driver license. (If it had been me, I probably would have waited four years until my current one expired. :) ) My thought - - please don't take this as an accusation - - is that maybe we're more informed for having read this forum than some pilots that don't. I should have made it clear that it's just my perception, and there's a high probability that my perception is way off the mark.

I appreciate you offering your perception, as it is clearly much more valid and relevant. I was just thinkin' out loud - - nuthin' more.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
The pilots I fly with are just as informed as you about 3701. We're current in the jet and we are applying what we know.........
And therefore much more qualified to comment than I - - take my ramblings with many grains of salt.

:)

410dude said:
Dudes and especially dudettes need to be careful operating the CRJ at 410. It takes a skilled hand to keep it up there and I've done it before so I know what I speak.

I have never flown an RJ but know what it takes to keep a Lear up at 490--- The answer is Airspeed-- If the plane cannot climb there at cruise speed then do not take it there! --- It should not take a skilled hand; just enough experience to know that if you don't have the energy to climb there with in .01 mach of normal cruise-----do not go there

Stop frigging taking that damn airplane that high. It is a complete dog in the climb and has no business ever going above FL350. Why people out there don't realize this is completely beyond me. This is not rocket science

clownhater said:
Stop frigging taking that dang airplane that high. It is a complete dog in the climb and has no business ever going above FL350. Why people out there don't realize this is completely beyond me. This is not rocket science
Tuesday I had to fly a couple of loads for my buddy the Drop Zone Owner. His student was in from the west coast and she's a 747 F0 with NWA. She says she heard a rumor that there appears to be a "410" club at Pinnacle.

If that's true, it sounds like people are dying to get in.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
In addition, offer your solutions or suggestions as to how you think something should be done...

Again, how do you want the story of 3701 to shared umongsts the pilots? A formalized briefing from the training dept.?
I realized this morning that I forgot to address this part of your post last night.

Mind you, these are just thoughts...

Official communication to all PCL pilots to "REMIND" ;) them of certain considerations for taking an airplane to an altitude, say, above FL250. Remind them that it is their responsibility to refer to performance charts before accepting a clearance to a higher altitude. Dispatchers can help, knowing planned loads and forecast weather, but only the pilot in the airplane at THAT time can know the actual conditions, and whether accepting a clearance to FL290 would exceed the capability of the airplane.

Official communication to all PCL pilots to REMIND them of procedures or acceptable techniques to be used during high-altitude climb. Emphasize the importance of maintaining a minimum airspeed, and reiterate what that airspeed is, or how to determine it if it varies.

Official communication to all PCL pilots to REMIND them of the proper actions to take IMMEDIATELY upon activation of stick shaker or stick pusher. Inclusion of training module into recurrent events that ensure all pilots know proper procedures and ramifications of ignoring the stick shaker.

Widespread publication of the data provided by manufacturers about the "core lock-up" phenomenon. Reading the information doesn't place blame, but it educates all operators and heightens awareness of a certain risk.

Add a restriction to the company's 121-required flight manual that specifically prohibits swapping seats when only two pilots are aboard. (You'd think this one was obvious, but apparently it wasn't.)

Official communication to all PCL pilots to REMIND them of the need to accurately communicate with outside agencies, i.e., ATC, when there services are required or can be useful to ensure the safe conclusion of a flight. (We might not be talking about this had PCL 3701 glided to land at one of the airports within range when the flameouts occurred.)

Anyway, as I stated before, these are just my thoughts, and deserve no more consideration than just that. I have no aspirations to be management, so I'm not even gonna play that "If I was in charge..." game. I sincerely hope lessons are learned and this accident does NOT have a second chapter. Don't misconstrue my comments as finger-pointing, as that's certainly not my intent.

clownhater said:
This is not rocket science

Um...actually, it is.

Thrust-to-weight, defying gravity, etc.

It's covered in Chapter 3 of my Junior Rocket Scientist's Handbook.

Agree with, though...not too smart to push the envelope with a tube full of humans.

Tony C.,

At the risk of going round and round.... Since there is no official report and official communication to the pilot group would have to be justified and queried as to why. Thus liability.

Any communication about core lock would need coordination with GE. Again liability.

As far as swapping seats and communication to ATC. Is it a problem? Does this happen alot? Often? Occasionally? If a message is put out to the pilots it can been seen as real problem amongst the entire pilot group. Seen by the industry and the press....

Let me turn the tables.... FedEx has had two MD-11/MD-10 accidents... Has anything come from that in terms of landing techinque, training, etc...? (real question here...)

Latest resources

Back