• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another MU2 down...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 172 doesnt become an unstable uncontrollable brick if it losses an engine like the MU-2 does
If its soooo unstable like you say then why are there pilots that do get it on the ground when a engine fails? And how do you know its a unstable brick when a engine takes a dump? Ever had it happen? The one I get to fly around in is a bada$$ plane. I know they did a few things to the engines and had to go up with the FAA and shutdown the left engine. Now did it fall out of the sky? NO its still flying. The guy that owns it showed me a few pics they took. Put 2 turns of rudder trim in and it did just fine.

Last edited:
All right, I said I wouldn't post anymore on this thread, but, I couldn't help myself.

You guys are so quick to criticize "the company"! And then skyking1976 has the nerve to rag on corpflunkie for stating facts!

None of you know the details of any of the investigations--you have no clue, you just guess, and speculate.

These pretzels are making me thirsty!!!!

I can't really say what I think, or feel, cause it'll just misteriously disappear!

You people need to get a life. You have no idea!

Posting on flightinfo sucks, since the goddamn moderators censor your $hit!!!

Go W admin!!!

Screw you guys, I going home.

Hmm found a good article with some good quotes, here they are:

"The BWI crash marked the 184th MU-2 accident in the United States over the last 38 years. The latest crash brought the number of fatal accidents to 77, in which 246 pilots and passengers have been killed, according to the National Transportation Safety Board"

"Sanger compared the accident rate of the MU-2 to the Beech Super King Air 200, another twin-turboprop of comparable size, in terms of accidents per 100,000 hours flown. By this measure, the MU-2 accident rate over a 38 year period, 1964-2002, is nearly five times higher than the King Air, and about seven times higher in terms of fatal accidents."

Accident Rates Compared 1964-2002 Accidents per 100,000 flight hours
Airplane Overall accident rate Fatal accident rate
MU-2 4.62 1.95
King Air 200 0.97 0.26

What would deceased pilots, those who died in crashes have to say?

I think it would be rare to hear "Beloved family, find a lawyer and hunt down those responsible for making me fly that POS airplane which took my life."

It is my personal belief that most would be more likely to say,

"Family and friends, you know I loved flying. Let me tell you if I have not before: I knew the risks. Whether they were because of the machinery itself, or because the human interaction was risky; but I knew and accepted those risks beforehand. Please honor my memory by not pursuing any action that will further restrict or regulate aviation. Such action, to me, would be shameful.
Now, I realize that you have experienced a loss; my presence on this earth. And you feel cheated because you did not have any say in accepting those risks; and as such my death is an unacceptable shock to you. But please remember that it was my life, my choice, my risk to accept, no one else's.
Consider that any action you undertake that restricts aviation in any way will prevent future pilots from experiencing the joy that is flight, the same joy that you know aviation gave me. Please let others chose for themselves as I did for myself."

I think the deceased pilots would not have an issue if it could prevent further lives from being taken. Yes you know the risks when you go flying but if something can be avoided then do something about it. I know the risk everything i go on the road driving, but yet i have to wear a seatbelt? why? because people who lost family members and close ones who died because they werent wearing one pushed for it to be a law so other people wouldnt have to go through the same pain of loosing someone.

23 years ago I spent 3 years flying an MU2 exclusively. We went to FSI every six months and took it to Garrett in Springfield, IL for Mx regularly.
With the luxury of hindsight I would say that this acft has too many shortcomings to make it a good choice when deciding on a job or an acft. It is as has been described here. There are other alternatives. It isn't a plane I would defend the way some have always been compelled to do. Some things never change. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck. The MU2 is one noisy duck.:)

Last edited:
"Sanger compared the accident rate of the MU-2 to the Beech Super King Air 200, another twin-turboprop of comparable size, in terms of accidents per 100,000 hours flown. By this measure, the MU-2 accident rate over a 38 year period, 1964-2002, is nearly five times higher than the King Air, and about seven times higher in terms of fatal accidents."

One can make statistics paint anything you want to see if one uses such a ridiculous comparison as shown above. Compare the MU-2 to the King Air? Apples to Mangoes. Such ridiculous comparisons only cloud the issue, when meaningful discussion could take place...if one is going to make such comparisons, then compare the experience, training, background of each pilot involved, too. Compare the type of mission, conditions of occurence, etc.

In my line of work, we see a very high fatality rate for the number of pilots involved, and the number of aircraft, and hours flown. Does that mean the aircraft are unsafe? No. It happens to be the mission. One could bend the statistics to make any point appear valid, but it still doesn't make it the truth.

AAAh...America....Blame someone...everyone else, it's the only way !
An entire structure of law is based on this premise !

" My Mcdonalds coffee was too hot and I burned the sh!t out of my crotch, gimme my money"

Hmm frying the heck out of that particular crotch was nature's application of survival of the fittest in that case, but hey...they won the lawsuit !
Now I gotta have a label telling me my coffee is hot, no-one cares if I roast myself on some Miccy -D's coffee now, cos you know what? If I do, then hey, I shoulda read the frickin label !!!!

These forums are really something, just when I thought the only good thing about aviation were the cool cats involved in it I am proved wrong.

No, not just a little bit, I am appalled that for 15 plus years I have been so blind to that, fooled myself into believing I was part of something unique, special, part of an elite.....I've upheld that belief, hugged it to my chest, dedicated my life...sacrificed EVERYTHING !!! Except myself, in the endless quest for the perfection and steel exemplified by those who blazed their way through the infancy of aviation to today.

Know what? It's gone........ The bubble has burst, how I feel about what I read here and what I see breaking through my wall of denial one brick at a time on a daily basis is depressing beyond measure.

Some guy with 56 hours feels he actually has something of value to add ??

Some other guy with 3000 hours post insults, the list goes on and on.

I mean we're almost to the point where the forums need to be locked with access granted to only those for whom a particular thread holds some relevance.

Ya know....I think I'm just going get out, I'll leave it to the silver spooners like, oh yeah, Klingon-whatever to pick up the torch and ride it into the ground at 300 plus knots because he and a bunch of other posters here are part of the clueless, won't take responsibility for anything, have had everything handed to them, wave of the future.

Yep, I'm drunk..the numbness feels good and I pity the pax of tomorrow....unless......they automate the idiots I have seen here right out of commercial aviation.

Post away.......

GH, Your guess and last wishes would, based upon my experience, be in the company of a very small minority. This is one of those situations that actually is one you cannot "feel" until you've been there, or at least close.

If someone other than you (OPS, Mx, ATC, another A/C, the manufacturer) caused the accident, my belief, and actual knowledge, is that you would more likely be hoping your family would be compensated for their loss. The post accident "restrictions" you fear are not put in place without merit. They are there to protect you from yourself and others. They are one of the reasons aviation is the safest mode of transportation there is...period. It wasn't always that way. Tombstone regulation does stink, but only because it is usually too little, too late.

You ignore the fact that after you are gone, while a component of the compensation might be for your pain and suffering, more is for your family. If you think insurance or workers comp has the bases covered for your survivors, especially at the regional level and below, much less night freight, think again.

I've met dozens and dozens of people who lost their loved ones in crashes. Some were the families of the crew. I've also known people, including pilots, some 121 pilots at that, who survived serious crashes...ones where they did not think they would live to tell about. Not a single one felt all "mushy" about their choice, or their loved one's choice, to fly. When the cause was not pilot error, not a single one said they accepted the risk. Just the opposite. When the grieving process is over, they want to be compensated for their pain, suffering, physical, psychological, and emotional damages which may get worse, not better with the passage of time. The ones I really admire are those who want to prevent the same thing from happening to someone else. That is something to be proud of.

Taking responsibility for something you had no hand in is false pride at best. You cannot agree to the unknown. Most pilots I've flown with all have at least one instance they can recall where something occurred in flight beyond their control, that, had they known it was going to happen, they never would have left the ground. In other words, they did NOT assume the risk. I may leave the ground knowing an engine could sling a blade that slices right through me, but you can bet the overhaul shop that skipped the inspection is going to be hearing from somebody about it, and they will pay my dear widow dearly.

The assumption of PIC responsibilities does not mean giving everyone else whose actions touch and concern the safety of your aircraft a license to kill.

PS- I was waiting for someone to bring up the McD hot coffee case. The media has created more misconceptions about that case than they do each time they open their collective mouths to speak about an airplane.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back