• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another MD-11 bites the dust

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What an amateurish thing to say. Are you new to the industry?

There are two sets of safety standard for cargo vs passenger ops.. that is a fact. The idea that upper (main) decks of modern cargo jets have no fire suppression is but one.

Time in industry: 19 yrs both in cargo and pax operations...

Who gives a rat's ass about the landing? They got an airplane that had an in-flight fire on the ground and they will live to fly another day. I couldn't care less if the airplane left the runway.

Excellent job by these LH pilots. I just feel bad for them that they couldn't end their day with a few beers.

Waka, the good landing comment was directed to the post above mine (or a couple above mine) that said it looked like they got in a hurry to get on the ground and made a bad landing. Judging by the scrape marks down the runway (starting right in the touchdown zone) and off through the sand, I was refuting that guess. That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

And, I would assume a good many people care about how the landing was (mainly the investigators, the insurance company, and the customers...). What good is getting a burning plane on the ground if it results in an accident and kills everyone on board?

As for the beers, the newspaper here (for what is worth) says they are (or will be soon) out of the hospital and be able to head back to Germany ASAP. So, they had to wait a day or two, but they can go enjoy their beers soon.

not so fast

I am not so sure about those LH pilots enjoying their beers anytime soon. I do know that the f/o in the HAM x-wind incident got her license revoked for a long time. Everybody @ LH has had sealed lips about it, and (not surprisingly) the BFU (German equivalent of the US NTSB - consisting of mainly retired LH guys) officially blames the Airbus AOM. I still don't know if she has returned to flying status. Official version: bad AOM, behind the screen - don't even ask.

I'd be very scared to scratch the surface at this company ...

Last edited:
Waka, the good landing comment was directed to the post above mine (or a couple above mine) that said it looked like they got in a hurry to get on the ground and made a bad landing. Judging by the scrape marks down the runway (starting right in the touchdown zone) and off through the sand, I was refuting that guess. That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

Fair enough

And, I would assume a good many people care about how the landing was (mainly the investigators, the insurance company, and the customers...). What good is getting a burning plane on the ground if it results in an accident and kills everyone on board?

If you read the report, nobody was killed. Like I already said in my previous post, the point is that nobody was killed. In-flight fire = get airplane on ground first. If it involves the gear getting ripped off, airplane breaking it in 2 or 3 pieces, scarred runway, who cares? The fact that they survived and that nobody on the ground was killed makes it a great work day for them. I don't care about the insurance company. Collecting premiums and paying for claims is the nature of their business. As for the customer, their freight is insured. Besides, what kind of pilots start thinking about the cost to the customer or insurance company when the airplane is in flames? So you can be there to answer questions (or even to tell people to f*** off) later, saving your own ass (and the asses of your crew) is the first priority.

Perhaps we have a semantics disagreement? If that's the case, I digress.

Last edited:
I am not so sure about those LH pilots enjoying their beers anytime soon. I do know that the f/o in the HAM x-wind incident got her license revoked for a long time. Everybody @ LH has had sealed lips about it, and (not surprisingly) the BFU (German equivalent of the US NTSB - consisting of mainly retired LH guys) officially blames the Airbus AOM. I still don't know if she has returned to flying status. Official version: bad AOM, behind the screen - don't even ask.

I'd be very scared to scratch the surface at this company ...

What does that botched landing and go around have to do with this accident? I don't see any indication of incompetence on the part of the crew in this accident. My bet, they'll be enjoying their hefeweizen when they get back to the Fatherland.

Latest reports are hard landing and post impact fire

aero.de - Luftfahrt-Nachrichten und -Community

Translated with google:

Investigators: Lufthansa Cargo MD-11F caught fire after landing

RIYADH - The investigation after the accident, a cargo plane from the MD-11F Lufthansa Cargo will slow in Riyadh. Flight LH 8460 was an accident on Tuesday at the landing. The spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority, Khaled al-Chaibari told the Saudi newspaper Al-Iqtisadiyah ":" The aircraft was placed in the landing with such force that it drifted to the left of the runway, then broke fire on board. "

He went to earlier reports from the airport to meet the Saudi capital, said to have been seen that even before the impact, a cloud of smoke on the plane. Even a spokesman for Lufthansa said on Thursday that they had no evidence of a fire prior to touchdown of the machine. The cause of the accident but was still open.

The cargo aircraft type MD-11 was labeled D-ALCQ started on Tuesday in Frankfurt and merged with the landing in Riyadh in flames and broke in two. The two pilots had been on an emergency slide to safety. They were in good health, it was said from Riyadh.

According to Lufthansa was the 39-year-old captain of the machine uninjured, the 29-year-old co-pilot had to be operated. Both should still return this week to Germany.

Latest resources

Back