• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another MD-11 bites the dust

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
39 year old CA and 29 year old MD-11 F/O?

Here we lucky if the F/O is less than 39 and the CA is less than social security collecting able.

Maybe in europe pilots aren't as greedy and actually have interests that make them want to retire

Here we lucky if the F/O is less than 39 and the CA is less than social security collecting able.

Maybe in europe pilots aren't as greedy and actually have interests that make them want to retire

Lufthansa hires guys right out of high school into their cadet programs, this 39 year old captain has most likely been with them for over 20 years. It is not uncommon to see captains at this age with cadet program airlines, happens at ANA as well

Reports indicating a fire started during flight in the cargo compartment. The crew did a good job getting it on the ground and getting out.

ps-next post must have a nice bum as their avatar...

would like to take a bite out of that apple!

OR, they could be like pilots at Omni where CAs make $130/hour for flying a widebody.

Cargo operations have been and always and always are a disaster waiting to happen......

What an amateurish thing to say. Are you new to the industry?

So far that's not what it looks like. It landed right on the money on 33R and rolled about 9000 feet down the runway. It left the runway at about a 30 degree angle and came to a stop in the sand just off the left side. It looks like they made a good landing and were almost stopped when they left the runway...

We took off 33R and they gave us a left turn on course and went over it at about 5.30 this evening, and it was still smoldering. But, you can clearly see where it went off and stopped...

Who gives a rat's ass about the landing? They got an airplane that had an in-flight fire on the ground and they will live to fly another day. I couldn't care less if the airplane left the runway.

Excellent job by these LH pilots. I just feel bad for them that they couldn't end their day with a few beers.

Originally Posted by BrickTop
Cargo operations have been and always and always are a disaster waiting to happen......

Waka said: What an amateurish thing to say. Are you new to the industry?

It's entirely possible that some have had good (i.e., professionally-managed) cargo experiences, while others have been pushed into the worst of cargo experiences. I wouldn't be so bold to call someone an amateur, based on that comment. Perhaps ask for their explanation first.

I will say this: there is no -- I repeat no -- good reason that any HAZMAT-hauling airplane should not have full fire-supression capability installed. But, the cargo carriers have petitioned the government to exempt that critical safety feature. As a result, many cargo aircraft routinely fly HAZMAT with no ability to put out a fire. The UPS DC-8 that landed in PHL on fire is one such example. Given this glaring priority of dollars over human lives, I'd have to agree: cargo operations can very much be a distaster waiting to happen.

Can cargo be hauled safely? Mostly yes, to a high degree. But not when critical safety controls and capabilities are absent, and not when pushed by poor management.

Latest resources

Back