• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another MD-11 bites the dust

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reports indicating a fire started during flight in the cargo compartment. The crew did a good job getting it on the ground and getting out.

ps-next post must have a nice bum as their avatar...

This thread is outstanding simply for those avatars!

You can't really blame the MD-11 when the incident starts out as a cargo fire. Those guys should be commended for just getting the beast on the ground.

I have a few hours in the MD... it's a challenging airplane to land (in as far as most are very easy to land, and this requires a bit of precision), but I tend to think it was a hard landing due to being in a hurry to get down if it is a fire... time will tell.

but I tend to think it was a hard landing due to being in a hurry to get down if it is a fire... time will tell.

So far that's not what it looks like. It landed right on the money on 33R and rolled about 9000 feet down the runway. It left the runway at about a 30 degree angle and came to a stop in the sand just off the left side. It looks like they made a good landing and were almost stopped when they left the runway...

We took off 33R and they gave us a left turn on course and went over it at about 5.30 this evening, and it was still smoldering. But, you can clearly see where it went off and stopped...

Latest resources

Back