Another incident for Avantair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captkramer

Looks like Avantair had another gear mishap today, this time at TEB.

The unofficial word from tower was that one of the tires blew but the controller wasn't there to witness the incident. The plane ended up pointing north right in the middle of runway 24. Closed down the runway for at least an hour and forced TEB to use runway 19 for arrivals and departures along with everyone's favorite, the Dalton 19 departure.

Here's what I managed to get for a pic:
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i130/nhpilot01/p180.jpg

Anyone have anymore details? Seems to be becoming a common occurrence in the Piaggio.

So the last time something happened they made some knee jerk rule that FO's can only fly during certain times. Now they going to say the Capts cant fly either that only the pax can land the silly thing???

Looks like a gear design issue.

As a fly on the wall listening to Ops/Line svc. the SL was cleared for takeoff at the same time as a cirrus (i think) was cleard for takeoff on the other runway. The SL crew saw the plane as they came up on the intersection and screached to a stop blowing tires, etc... As always no one is talking. Probably not enough bent metal to justify a major write up but it must've been hairy from the look of how the plane was sitting on the runway.

As a fly on the wall listening to Ops/Line svc. the SL was cleared for takeoff at the same time as a cirrus (i think) was cleard for takeoff on the other runway. The SL crew saw the plane as they came up on the intersection and screached to a stop blowing tires, etc... As always no one is talking. Probably not enough bent metal to justify a major write up but it must've been hairy from the look of how the plane was sitting on the runway.

Yeah, sounds like it was probably the FOs fault... Probably shouldn't fly within Class B ever again...

Glad to hear everyone was alright. :)

No gear failure at all...and absolutely NOT the FO's fault!! Tower cleared both airplanes for takeoff and they aborted to miss the cirrus which resulted in 2 blown tires...that's it....no gear collapse or anything else wrong!!!

OK now, not to piss on this plummeting of Avantair which shouldn't surprise anyone, but the last post is right. It would appear to be a error by the tower controller that almost resulted in a catastrophe. Only the quick action of the crew averted a disaster. I haven't heard anyone in that office even talking about taking action against the crew, unless you mean patting them on the back.

Latest resources

Back