Another Airliner Crash...South America?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WMUchickenhawk said:
I heard they plowed through a patch of 4 leaf clovers. And then hit a mirror factory.
I was just joshing with the guy...I guess you can use the word luck in a general sense when discussing air tragedies.

I lost more than 10 quarts of oil out of PT-6 during an hour and a half flight in a single engine turbine once. I didn't find out about it until after I landed and I noticed everybody giving me the 1,000 yard stare when I pulled up to park. Unbeknownst to me, a scavenge line developed a leak at a pinched o-ring. I guess if the wx hadn't came up to 100 and half just before I got there, it would have been my bad luck to have seen the idiot light come on in the hold.

I know you were just joshing him, I was doing the same.
FN FAL said:
I was just joshing with the guy...I guess you can use the word luck in a general sense when discussing air tragedies.

I lost more than 10 quarts of oil out of PT-6 during an hour and a half flight in a single engine turbine once. I didn't find out about it until after I landed and I noticed everybody giving me the 1,000 yard stare when I pulled up to park. Unbeknownst to me, a scavenge line developed a leak at a pinched o-ring. I guess if the wx hadn't came up to 100 and half just before I got there, it would have been my bad luck to have seen the idiot light come on in the hold.

In Caracas right now
The local say it was an MD80, Carribean Star, 160 passengers, Panama To Martinica. First Report say All dead

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/08/16/venezuela.crash/index.html

160 believed dead in Venezuela jet crash
Pilot had reported engine trouble aboard MD-82

BOGOTA, Colombia (CNN) -- A Colombian airliner carrying 160 people crashed Tuesday in a remote area of western Venezuela, aviation officials said.

No survivors have been found.

A spokeswoman for West Caribbean Airways, based in Medellin, Colombia, told CNN there were 152 passengers and eight crew members on board, making it the deadliest plane crash in Venezuela's history.

The MD-82 aircraft left Tocumen International Airport south of Panama City around 1 a.m. local time, headed for Fort de France, Martinique, according to Panamanian aviation officials.

Most of the passengers were from Martinique, according to civil aeronautics officials in Colombia, and the crew was Colombian.

The flight had been chartered by tourists in Martinique, a French possession in the Caribbean.

Venezuelan officials said the jetliner's pilots reported engine problems shortly before contact was lost with the aircraft around 3 a.m. ET.

Tomas Paredes with Panama's aviation agency told CNN in a phone interview the pilots had asked to descend from 31,000 feet to 14,000 feet because both engines were having problems.

That was the last communication from the aircraft, Paredes said.

Some residents in Venezuela's Zulia state reported hearing a loud explosion early in the morning, near the city of Machiques and Lake Maracaibo, local law enforcement officials said. The crash site is not far from the border with Colombia.

Search and rescue crews are at the site of the crash, and Venezuelan military troops have set up a field hospital in case anyone is found alive.

Reporter Jeidis Osechas of the Venezuelan television network Globovision told CNN from the scene of the crash there was still smoke coming from the heavily forested region, and the wreckage appeared to be strewn over a large area.

French President Jacques Chirac released a statement expressing his sorrow about the accident that claimed the lives of several French citizens.

"The president expresses, on behalf of all French citizens, his saddest condolences and his deep compassion for the families and friends of the victims," the statement said.

A smaller aircraft owned by West Caribbean Airways crashed as it took off in Colombia in March, killing eight people and injuring eight others.

West caribbean spun off of the sale of regionals back in Colombia a few years back, they have old but well maintained 80's and ATR's but unfortunately this is their 2nd accident in less than 12 months.
Crews are well trained but not much experience when they jump from a 172 to an MD-80 or an ATR. (mountanous terrain and nasty weather patterns)

Ah, so how many quarts did the engine have to begin with?

Presumably you're talking about the -114 engine, and the type certificate data sheet provides a capacity of 2.3 gallons for the oil tank. How about the entire engine? You lost more than ten quarts...the oil tank had to be empty as it was a failed scavenge line...I don't see how the engine could have had any oil or run for an hour and a half. Tough to do when you lose more oil than you have available, after an hour and a half.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back