• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another Airliner Crash...South America?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wasn't really referring to "bad luck" as the cause of the accidents.

more like referring to the thousands of guys/gals unemployed due to airlines going chapter (fill in the blanks) kind of bad luck.

FN FAL said:
Bring a rabbit's foot with you when you fly.

I think it was bad luck for the nation and more specifically the Kennedy family, that LHO didn't receive his probation officer's requested psychological care before his mother mysteriously moved the family out of that court's jurisdiction...but that's just my opinion. On the other hand, I can't think of any carrier in recent times that suffered a crash because of bad luck. Was there a bird strike incident or collision with a meteor that I didn't hear about?

avbug said:
Ah, so how many quarts did the engine have to begin with?

Presumably you're talking about the -114 engine, and the type certificate data sheet provides a capacity of 2.3 gallons for the oil tank. How about the entire engine? You lost more than ten quarts...the oil tank had to be empty as it was a failed scavenge line...I don't see how the engine could have had any oil or run for an hour and a half. Tough to do when you lose more oil than you have available, after an hour and a half.
Dude...the words as they came out of the mechanic's mouth..."You had less than 4 quarts remaining."

Page 13 of the Pan Am study guide:

Q: What is the system oil capacity?

A: 14 Quarts (Ref pp. 1-5 and 8-15 P.I.M.)

If you're talking warm oil or cold oil, there could have been 12.499 quarts or 13.2349 quarts at departure. For the sake of argument, let's split a hair and we'll say I lost 9.111111123 quarts of oil...or 8.73217990221. Take your pick.

Regardless, had the vis not come up, I would have probably had to have declared an emergency out of the hold and flew an ILS below minimums. Assuming 10 mile legs, how many turns in the hold did I have left before the oil pump would have started to send burps of air past the oil pressure sensor?

TriJet said:
wasn't really referring to "bad luck" as the cause of the accidents.

more like referring to the thousands of guys/gals unemployed due to airlines going chapter (fill in the blanks) kind of bad luck.
If you think that's bad luck, how about the bumped passenger that was on standby and was fortunate enough to have made it aboard any doomed flight...that has to suck worse than suck.

Grumman guy said:
They always come in three's

That's the problem we have already had 3 (A340, ATR72, B737) so is this the beginning of a new set of 3.

Grumman guy said:
They always come in three's

That's the problem we have already had 3 (A340, ATR72, B737) so is this the beginning of a new set of 3?

habubuaza said:
That's the problem we have already had 3 (A340, ATR72, B737) so is this the beginning of a new set of 3?
there's your third....poof!

Latest resources

Back