• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Annoying things your CA/FO does, 2011 version

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The guy I fly with hand-flies to RVSM altitudes nearly every single flight and it doesn't bother me in the least, nor do I feel it increases my workload. Since monitoring a hand-flying pilot induces so much additional stress on you, perhaps you should be the one to resign.

It increases the workload. Once you upgrade and you’re responsible for the flight, then you’ll understand.

I was a 600hr wonder at one time, flying a jet, and had the captain repeatedly tell me how to talk on the radio - down to what to say. That was pretty annoying; the assumption that I didn't know how to talk on the radio because of my TT, with total disregard for the type & quality of flight experience I *did* have.

It doesn’t matter how much time you have or don’t have, or type/quality of flight experience you have. You obviously didn’t talk on the radio correctly. It’s the Captains airplane, he/she is responsible for the flight. Talk on the radio the way he/she says. Consider yourself lucky to be in a jet at 600 hours. I was nowhere near a jet at 600 hours.

A lot of the FO’s seem to be complaining about their Captains. It seems like the cockiest people on the flightdeck are the fo’s, especially the punk twenty somethings with their stupid cellphones always in their hands. You guys base how “good” a pilot is on how smoothly you can land. You bet I’m going to be having a talk with you if you float halfway down the runway to get your “greaser”.
There are dozens of ways to fly these airplanes and every company uses different procedures. However, most Captains I have seen fly the airplane the way their company pays them to fly it.

Just because the book doesn’t prohibit hand flying up to RVSM doesn’t make it ok to do so. If the Capt doesn’t want you to do it, then don’t do it. I can’t totally relax until you put the aircraft on autopilot.
Many fo’s seem to forget that it’s the Captains airplane and they are responsible for everything, including you. The Captain manages the cockpit the way he/she see’s fit. If you’re hand flying and you deviate from a course or fly through an altitude the Capt. gets the phone call. If the passengers are complaining because you’re jerking the plane around while hand flying, it’s the Capt. who has to answer for it. If the Captain doesn't like how you talk on the radio, do it the way he/she says. If it’s your leg, you’re at cruise with discretion to descend and you start down early for no reason, the Capt. has the right to question you on it.

What the heck is up with these kids who think companies “owe” them a pilot job just because they filled out an application...or how they should receive a trophy at the end of the day.
Unfortunately, over the years the Captain has lost a lot of respect. The FO’s are getting pushier and pushier. You may not respect me, but respect my position as your Captain. And loose the attitude!

It increases the workload. Once you upgrade and you’re responsible for the flight, then you’ll understand.

As a part 91 jet chief pilot, I think I understand PIC responsibility just fine.

My colleague's hand-flying does not increase my workload as the PM one iota.

It doesn’t matter how much time you have or don’t have, or type/quality of flight experience you have. You obviously didn’t talk on the radio correctly. It’s the Captains airplane, he/she is responsible for the flight. Talk on the radio the way he/she says. Consider yourself lucky to be in a jet at 600 hours. I was nowhere near a jet at 600 hours.

No, its not that I was talking on the radio incorrectly...its that the Captain made a presumption (incorrectly) that I did not know how to talk on the radio in the IFR system.

While the Captain is responsible for the airplane, the Captain's technique does not have to be the SIC's procedure...especially in a standardized airline environment.

If the Captain wants to fly all the legs because they don't like how the SIC flies, that is their prerogative. Same with making all the radio calls if they don't like the SIC's radio procedure. But as long as the SIC isn't violating procedure or endangering safety of flight, maybe such a captain needs to lighten up a little bit and consider that maybe, just maybe, their way isn't the only way...

No, its not that I was talking on the radio incorrectly...its that the Captain made a presumption (incorrectly) that I did not know how to talk on the radio in the IFR system.

And I'll bet a beer he's the guy who keeps saying, "Any traffic please advice" on CTAF. :rolleyes:

While the Captain is responsible for the airplane, the Captain's technique does not have to be the SIC's procedure...especially in a standardized airline environment.

If the Captain wants to fly all the legs because they don't like how the SIC flies, that is their prerogative. Same with making all the radio calls if they don't like the SIC's radio procedure.

It's the Captain's airplane, most Captains I know operate in a standardized manner. The Cowboy Captain's usually don't last long and eventually get weeded out over time.

Many Captain's fly "technique", while at the same time adhering to company procedures and standardization. If he Captain want's something done a certain way, do it.

But as long as the SIC isn't violating procedure or endangering safety of flight, maybe such a captain needs to lighten up a little bit and consider that maybe, just maybe, their way isn't the only way.

I agree, the Captain's way isn't the only way. Airlines have been operating the same planes for decades using dozens of different procedures, some good & some bad.
I've seen new FO's start to gain confidence after their first year in the seat, then discover they want to reinvent the egg. Jeeze...watch the Captain the first leg, he/she will set the tone, then fly how the Captain flies. It will be standard.

Climb carats aren't a limitation buddy. At least not on the mighty -200.

Only advisory.

Last edited:
When guys feel the need to apply full aileron deflection into to a 3 knot crosswind just after touchdown like you are flying a Cessna 172! Common sense goes a long way!

Latest resources

Back