• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Annoying crap the CA/FO does

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
3. I'll buy the first round, how drunk you get beyond that is totally up to you.
But at least call crew scheduling from the jail so I don't have to get up early for the duty in.

Today in age there are just tooooo many "right seat captain" idiots that think they know better. Wether you like it or not the Captain is still in charge and you are HIS FO/Second in command. He/She is still your superior. Grow up. Oh an by the way, don't run a checklist, call the airport insight, or call traffic insight until you have looked to your left and said "ready for the check list/You see it? I've got the traffic, do you see it?"
nonsense! If you are in MY right seat, you should know when a checklist is due......do it already. If you see it, I see it....

Just don't be in such a damn hurry to do stuff...relax, slow down and enjoy yourself.....

Damned hyper kids.:)

nonsense! If you are in MY right seat, you should know when a checklist is due......do it already. If you see it, I see it....

Just don't be in such a damn hurry to do stuff...relax, slow down and enjoy yourself.....

Damned hyper kids.:)

You nutsack! :laugh:

Flew with a FA who freaked out because I used her name in the PA announcement ("Mary, prepare the cabin for takeoff.") Said it was inviting men to flirt with her.

So I stopped using FA's names.

A week later, another FA freaked out because I didn't use her name. ("Jeez, like, saying 'Flight Attendant' sounds so sterile, impersonal")

Any ideas here? I;m ready to go Postal on the next FA who b*tches to me about anything!

hah! I'm too lazy to read the rest of this thread, gotta rake some leaves in the sunset. But that's good!

Actually time has taught me to ASK the FA whether it's OK (what do they prefer) for me to say her/his name on the PA, it works, they'll tell you if they're opposed to it.

Also, I try to vary my brief to FO's based on how the first few minutes of interaction with them are.

Today in age there are just tooooo many "right seat captain" idiots that think they know better. Wether you like it or not the Captain is still in charge and you are HIS FO/Second in command. He/She is still your superior. Grow up. Oh an by the way, don't run a checklist, call the airport insight, or call traffic insight until you have looked to your left and said "ready for the check list/You see it? I've got the traffic, do you see it?"

Amen, I second those motions.

Amen, I second those motions.

Third!

Calling traffic has always been a personal pet peeve of mine...

ATC: PDT 4000, traffic 10 O'Clock 10 miles an airbus southwest bound at 15,000.

FO to ATC: (Staring into a night sky positively FILLED with blinking lights) Traffic in sight!

ME: Chill out there eagle eye. Do you have any actual idea which one of those blinking lights is the airbus in question?

FO: Uhhh...

Hint of the day:

Never call traffic in sight unless:
1. You are absolutely sure you have the airplane in sight and can maintain visual seperation.
2. You are absolutely sure that the other pilot (CA or FO) also has the traffic in sight and agrees that visual seperation can be maintained.
3. There is some operational advantage to be gained by you (or the traffic in question- It is good to be courteous after all) by assuming the responsibility of keeping yourself seperated from the aforementioned traffic.

That is all!

1. I am not "your FO". Please do not refer to the guy you are flying with as "my FO". Same goes to FA's.

Hundreds of years ago the Spanish navy figured out that if a captain took "ownership" of the vessel and crew they took better care of them. My ship and my crew builds a sense of connection to them and the captains made better decisions. The concept spread to every facet of command and leadership around the world and quickly worked its way into the airlines when the majority of pilots began coming from the military.

When the captain refers to the airplane as "that hunk of junk" and the FO as "the dbag who sits next to me" you need to know that when the sh!t hits the fan you are expendable to the captain. Its the captain who refers to you as "my" that will not only have your best interests in mind during the evacuation but will stick with you through the civil suit.

Enough time has passed, it's ready to start a new CA vs. FO thread.​

To the CA's:
1. I am not "your FO". Please do not refer to the guy you are flying with as "my FO". Same goes to FA's.
2. When you call for a Checklist, you should actually be ready to respond to it. Me: "T/O data and Speeds", CA: fumbles around for 2 minutes trying to set speeds....then, "Set".
3. Quit centering the heading bug when I am flying. I promise you, the plane will not veer violently off course if the heading bug is 3 degrees to the left.
4. I could care less about your church or your kids. Seriously... Religion and Kids can stay at home.
5. Don't leave your friggin flight case on the floor behind the center pedestal. Put it in the damn place beside your seat. No, I don't like scrambling over your bag every time I step into/out of the cockpit.

6. Are you wearing cowboy boots?​

If you were a captain then you could dictate all of the above...however, you're not...so,

1. You ARE the captain's FO. Whether you're the FA's FO is up to you (after the captain has "dibs").
2. The captain calls for the checklist when he wants it...maybe he calls early anticipating that by the time YOU are ready, he will be!
3. Why aren't YOU keeping the bug centered? That's professionalism, and at our carrier, SOP.
4. Have you told the captain that you are a godless pagan with no children, or are you just hoping he'll see this and you won't have to grow a set and speak up?
5. The entire airplane is the captain's while his/her name is in the book...the chart bag placement is his/her call...maybe he/she wants you to trip over it and sprain your ankle so he/she can get an FO whose easier to be around.
6. The question would be, if you ever flew with me..."are you wearing a cup"? 'cause I'd have kicked you in the stones well before item #6!

Latest resources

Back