ANG ART vs Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh pulease! Scrapdog!

I have to disagree. That is all VFR time, and the airlines require much more severe/low IFR flying than you are used to flying in that single seat fighter.

I am sure that a regional jet pilot flying the same schedules that the major is flying is much more valuable during the interview. Hence, why so many regional guys and girls are now piloting the major airliners.

Your job flying the fighters isn't any harder than 6 legs a day in and out of Houston during August.

Nice try though LOL.

Pocono,
Find a fighter guy or gal you know and trust and ask them their perspective on which is more difficult (six legs a day in / out of HOU or flying a fighter). Your post has some assumptions in it which show a lack of exposure to just what a fighter pilot does on both a day to day basis in normal operations as well as during combat.
How's the saying go, "Don't judge someone until you have walked in their shoes".
To those who have done or do both your remarks come across other than the way you intended them.
Biff

Oh pulease! Scrapdog!

I have to disagree. That is all VFR time, and the airlines require much more severe/low IFR flying than you are used to flying in that single seat fighter.

I am sure that a regional jet pilot flying the same schedules that the major is flying is much more valuable during the interview. Hence, why so many regional guys and girls are now piloting the major airliners.

Your job flying the fighters isn't any harder than 6 legs a day in and out of Houston during August.

Nice try though LOL.

pocono,
Spoken like a true 12-year-old. I thought we agreed on another thread that I would send you two Hillary Duff concert tickets if you would spare us all your immature, uninformed, and laughable opinions.

hopefully you're flame-baiting (or flirting), but I think you have lost whatever shred of credibility you think you might have had by belittling the experience of fighter pilots, who are, by the way, logging combat time in some ridiculously challenging conditions. (and no, I am not a fighter pilot.)

But what am I saying, you clearly know it all after all your C-152 and EMB time.

Last edited:
I have 1550 hours PIC

Thanks for the vaste response, by far my best response yet. As far as the long discussion on how much PIC time I have; I was a first assignment instructor pilot FAIP and was logging instructor time 35 hours after I graduated pilot training and upgrade to AC in the Lear after 150 hours, since I already had previous flying experience. I know I have enough hours to meet all the mins for the majors. Some of the airlines show how many hours they give you in the military conversion. Delta airlines gave me 2700+ with 2300+ being PIC and Southwest uses the straight .3 per sortie so with over 1200 sorties I got credit for 2300 hours.

As far as leaving for a specific major, do you think I should hold out for anyone specific or use the theory that you should apply to all and the winner is whoever hires you first?

Cheers

As far as leaving for a specific major, do you think I should hold out for anyone specific or use the theory that you should apply to all and the winner is whoever hires you first?

I would highly suggest the former option you listed, rather than the latter. I was never an ART, but In my case I took the first job offered and couldn't be more miserable, largely due to a cross country commute and inflexible schedule. I also took a 60 grand pay cut to boot. It's not really a "dream job", which is one reason I'm hoping to actually quit in favor of an ART job, rather than move. Time will tell if it pans out and I've made the right decision. Remember, the grass is not always greener - I would think the guys in your unit would be telling you this.

As has been stated above, you now have the luxury of holding out for a job you actually WANT, rather than taking the first available - an option not open to someone who's not currenly in a flying job due to flying currency issues. In your current job, you're building PIC/IP time, remaining current, can be in town any time you like, and making around 6 figures doing it. I don't know how things are at your unit, but ARTs in the C-17 community who fly trips can earn enough comp to have the monthly time off to almost equal most airline guys. And, you can use those days when you actually want the time off, rather than trying to bid for them based on your seniority.

I'd say stay put for awhile, build your time, save some $$ for later options, and hold out for the job you want. It may even turn out to be the job you already have!

Run some numbers - under many CURRENT contracts, most everywhere except FDX,UPS, and SW, you'll have to make captain in order to surpass your current salary. This may take 2 years, or it may take 20 (ask a USAir guy).

Good luck with your decision.

Tedspal,

Obviously you should apply at US Airways and not worry about the rest.

On a legitimate note, DO NOT let the fact that you may not meet the minimums for a particular airline keep you from applying. Some airlines will look to someone below their posted minimums if they want that pilot.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back