• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ANG ART vs Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand that but you had single-seat time. What are the odds that, with "T's" and Lear in his resume that the bulk of the flight time will be PIC?

Just trying to look at it from an HR perspective (not that I've taken enough drugs to be able to do THAT!) and maybe temper his hopes. He'll get blown away by an RJ captain with 5,000 hours w/1,500 PIC. Doesn't hurt to get in the game early and try, though. JMO. TC

Sorry AA, I've got to raise the BS flag with you. The big falacy folks have is how much quantity is important as opposed to quality. It couldn't be further from the truth. Specifically talking to senior capt's at my current airline (who also do some of the hiring boards) and others, they view a guy with 1000 hour T PIC in F-16, F-15's etc...as valuable or even more so than 4000 hour T PIC in an RJ. Almost every airline is going to realize; depending on your background; what your standard average is supposed to be for competency. I can name fighter guys that got hired at every airline right after their first interview (probably about 12 with SWA in particular) that were on average 30 something with about 1200 hours TPIC in fighters.

You might think that there is some sort of equalization with hours. HR also looks at past experience. Like the 121 guy coming from a structured environment knowing he can fit right in versus less hours, and previous commitments.

Sorry AA, I've got to raise the BS flag with you. The big falacy folks have is how much quantity is important as opposed to quality. It couldn't be further from the truth. Specifically talking to senior capt's at my current airline (who also do some of the hiring boards) and others, they view a guy with 1000 hour T PIC in F-16, F-15's etc...as valuable or even more so than 4000 hour T PIC in an RJ. Almost every airline is going to realize; depending on your background; what your standard average is supposed to be for competency. I can name fighter guys that got hired at every airline right after their first interview (probably about 12 with SWA in particular) that were on average 30 something with about 1200 hours TPIC in fighters.

You didn't read what I wrote. I know they value single seat time more than RJ. That was my point. The original poster doesn't have any single seat time other than trainers in his list of aircraft flown (you can bet if he flew fighters, he'd let EVERYONE know... ;) ).

I'm guessing he's flying Lears for the AF and not in the private sector. That's why he's low time for a lear pilot and asking for info about the airlines.

I'm saying that, in his CURRENT situation, he's going to lose out to the thousands of RJ guys out there who have a bunch more time than he has.

He needs to do something to get competitive. Ask your captains how competitive a lear pilot with 2000 hours is v. all the RJ CA's out there. TC

You didn't read what I wrote. I know they value single seat time more than RJ. That was my point. The original poster doesn't have any single seat time other than trainers in his list of aircraft flown (you can bet if he flew fighters, he'd let EVERYONE know... ;) ).

I'm guessing he's flying Lears for the AF and not in the private sector. That's why he's low time for a lear pilot and asking for info about the airlines.

I'm saying that, in his CURRENT situation, he's going to lose out to the thousands of RJ guys out there who have a bunch more time than he has.

He needs to do something to get competitive. Ask your captains how competitive a lear pilot with 2000 hours is v. all the RJ CA's out there. TC

Gotcha, sorry for the minunderstanding. Unregard my first post - I'm in agreement with you.

It couldn't be further from the truth. Specifically talking to senior capt's at my current airline (who also do some of the hiring boards) and others, they view a guy with 1000 hour T PIC in F-16, F-15's etc...as valuable or even more so than 4000 hour T PIC in an RJ. Almost every airline is going to realize; depending on your background; what your standard average is supposed to be for competency.

Oh pulease! Scrapdog!

I have to disagree. That is all VFR time, and the airlines require much more severe/low IFR flying than you are used to flying in that single seat fighter.

I am sure that a regional jet pilot flying the same schedules that the major is flying is much more valuable during the interview. Hence, why so many regional guys and girls are now piloting the major airliners.

Your job flying the fighters isn't any harder than 6 legs a day in and out of Houston during August.

Nice try though LOL.

Last edited:
Oh pulease! Scrapdog!

I have to disagree. That is all VFR time, and the airlines require much more severe/low IFR flying than you are used to flying in that single seat fighter.

I am sure that a regional jet pilot flying the same schedules that the major is flying is much more valuable during the interview. Hence, why so many regional guys and girls are now piloting the major airliners.

Your job flying the fighters isn't any harder than 6 legs a day in and out of Houston during August.

Nice try though LOL.
FYI, since you haven't done both...and I have (twin otters in Bethel and CV-580's in Alaska and the lower 48, F-16's stateside, Korea, and Iraq, and 737's Alaska and lower 48) I can safely say that you don't know what you are talking about. You are presuming that you know what flying a fighter is. I can tell you that it is infinitely more challenging than flying airliners and GA. Deal with it. oh yeah, LOL too.

I started out flying C-21's out of Air Force pilot training. Upgrade to PIC could happen as fast as a little over a year. He could easily have 800+ hours PIC in the lear as I did by age 26.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back