• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anderson to align capacity with demand

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A certain well known individual to the scope battle is making a presentation on scope to a these people. I would love to get in to the room, but I have other pressing matters.

A certain well known individual to the scope battle is making a presentation on scope to a these people. I would love to get in to the room, but I have other pressing matters.

Is Dan Ford up their trying to "dictate" everyones scope language again? Neither Dan or National dictates scope, it is up to each MEC to establish its own negotiating priorities.

GL, I believe that is all deliberately manipulated expectations on the part of management. Been hearing the same line for the last 5 years over at N. "We are studying, waiting...".

The fact is no manufacturer is going to commit without a major order, and we are saying there is nothing out there. In the mean time the Scope keeps getting looser and the 76 seaters keep coming. We'll be at 2012 and management will say we need a 100 seater, but there is none, gee, can we put 10 more seats in the E175's or CRJ900? Otherwise we'll lose money and have to furlough and it will be presented as loosen Scope to preserve jobs :(.

Forget all the SLI arguments about the DC9, it can fly for another 10-15 years as is and you can throw in a $7K GPS if they ever get around to actually modernizing navaids. Fact is right now the DC9 (if the S contingent on the MEC embraces it) is going to save our butt from further Scope erosion.

Yes it is old, cold, but would you rather see it flying in DAL colors or more of the 76 seaters in Connection colors? I'll bet you a bottle of your favorite beverage that if the MEC were to actually draw the line on Scope and say over our dead bodies (intead of take that junior guy) the DC9's life span would miraculously extend.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather being flying a comfy, cool, glass replacement, but right now that old DC9 and a few words in section 1 are all that stand between us and 1500 furloughs.

Trust me, I would vote to keep those DC9s as long as possible. Just because I personally don't want to fly one, doesn't mean I don't want them around. There are plenty of us who do want to fly them, and we don't want any more 76 seaters coming our way. Also, I don't see many of us voting for 100 seaters going to DCI. Sure, the top crowd sometimes have a "give me more pay" attitude (regardless of the consequences), but the majority don't want to see another RJ. Lee Moak is getting criticized for the last deal he made with the company, and that will likely be his last give-a-way or he will lose his job in an uprising. We all know where this is going, and the vast majority will stand up and be against it. Regardless, we may need some tougher DAL-N negotiators, though.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Is Dan Ford up their trying to "dictate" everyone's scope language again? Neither Dan or National dictates scope, it is up to each MEC to establish its own negotiating priorities.

I believe it is his presentation.

We all know where this is going, and the vast majority will stand up and be against it. Regardless, we may need some tougher DAL-N negotiators, though.
Bye Bye--General Lee

Don't count on that - the remainder of the DAL-N MEC that got jobs (other than elected) did so by kissing LM's ring and keep their positions at His pleasure. The resistance to any Scope change will come from the direction the Reps give the Neg Cmte, and MEMRAT vote.

Don't count on that - the remainder of the DAL-N MEC that got jobs (other than elected) did so by kissing LM's ring and keep their positions at His pleasure. The resistance to any Scope change will come from the direction the Reps give the Neg Cmte, and MEMRAT vote.

He is right. If you are counting on LM and the current MEC to hold the line on scope, you are living in a dream world.

You have come correct.

And why exactly are they even going to allow this clown in the room? All this is going to do is make him and his followers feel they have a seat at OUR scope table. I hope they make it clear to him that he works for a subcontractor and has no rights to any flying.

I believe it is his presentation.

It is my understanding that it is for all of ALPA. Not just us major guys.

The neat thing is you can listen to what he has to say, see where he is coming from, get his game plan, and then decide to use the information or dump it. I would just like to be sitting in the room to hear what he as well as everyone else has to say.

Latest resources

Back