• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

And so it begins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's Darwinian. UPS is the apparent winner and ABX + Astar isn't. I hope the political maneuverings yield a favorable result - if not we're screwed. In the future others will take their turn at being in the barrel.

P22: Frank from 1938? Terry Thomas was closer to the mark.

Last edited:
big station not using DHL as of next week

hello and goodbye to XNA, walmart told DHL that walmart is not using DHL anymore as of next week, UPS does have a brand new sort facility near the airport. Anyone?

If UPS stock goes much lower I think that there is a pretty good chance DP might buy UPS and spin off the airline. The international (non-US) product will be DHL while the domestic product will be UPS, kind of like Exxon and Esso.

Curious.

Was in SDF awhile back and saw 6 to 8 DC-8's parked and winterized obviously parking the gas guzzlers. I didn't hear of any DC8 crew furloughs and expect they were typed in 300's, 76 and 75's? Would not the increased flying under Brown assuming the abx flying require opportunities for the DC8 driver's over there to easily be assimilated under the brown colors as the old DC8 drivers at UPS are on other equipment and unavailable to pickup the 8 flying?

I am guessing the opportunity would be overshadoweed by the loss in seniority?

Or am I smoking krack?

100-1/2

transportation portion of Maersk http://www.maersk.com/en will also be purchased by DHL within 7 years.

Except for one little detail. Well, two actually. Maersk is not for sale, won't be up for sale and have no intention of selling. Why should they? It's the biggest container liner in the world, and reguarly show annual profits on the sunny side of EUR 2 Billion. That's one detail. The other, far more important one, is that 80% of all voting shares of Maersk are owned by a foundation controlled 100% by the Moeller family. Therefore, a hostile take-over is not possible either.

After DHL purchases UPS, FedEx will buy TNT and the Coke and Pepsi of shipping will be DHL/UPS and FedEx/TNT. Schenker http://www.dbschenker.com/site/logistics/dbschenker/com/de/start.html will probably tie up with DHL and the transportation portion of Maersk http://www.maersk.com/en will also be purchased by DHL within 7 years. That's what my Genie says anyway.

I looks like my Genie might be for real! The above was posted on 06-24-2008.
FT.com / Companies / Transport - FedEx in talks to buy Dutch rival TNT

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aJMflfrASFLc&refer=home

Curious.
Was in SDF awhile back and saw 6 to 8 DC-8's parked and winterized obviously parking the gas guzzlers. I didn't hear of any DC8 crew furloughs and expect they were typed in 300's, 76 and 75's? Would not the increased flying under Brown assuming the abx flying require opportunities for the DC8 driver's over there to easily be assimilated under the brown colors as the old DC8 drivers at UPS are on other equipment and unavailable to pickup the 8 flying?
I am guessing the opportunity would be overshadoweed by the loss in seniority?
Or am I smoking krack?
100-1/2
I am not sure what your exact question is but I'll try... UPS has been parking 727s, classic 747s and even DC8s (although slowly) for some time. Nothing new, they announced those 'airplane retirements' last year or maybe even earlier, can’t remember.

727s are now all parked; by the end of this year 747 classics will be gone too. Due to the DHL deal they'll probably bring some previously parked DC8s out of the desert even though nothing specific has been announced yet.

Still confused on your "loss of seniority" comment? Are you saying if we were to hire Astar/Abx pilots? Well, no interviews have been announced as of yet and we don't know if the Astar/Abx crews will get preferential interviews (I and many other brown pilots hope so). I’ve been told nothing has been ruled out yet even though they do worry about hiring potentially pissed off and disgruntled employees.

Any way you look at it they’re facing a tough decision on how to proceed with those interviews… (obviously not as tough of a decision as the Astar/Abx employees will have to make :()

Latest resources

Back