Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ANA Flight makes emergency landings cause pilots had to fly manually. haha!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flightjock30

WOW; you mean to say that an airplane can be flown without an autopilot?????

Subject: Unbelieveable, the pilot had to actually fly the airplane

Emergency at ANA

Oh, NO ! ! ! :)

No Autopilot what a crises!

ANA(ALL NIPON AIRWAYS)jet lands manually after autopilot fails

OSAKA -- An All Nippon Airways (ANA) passenger jet bound for Itami Airport in Hyogo Prefecture was forced to land using manual controls on Saturday after its autopilot system failed, officials said. Airline officials said the problem occurred on ANA Flight 502 as the Boeing 767-300 aircraft was traveling between Miyazaki and Itami on Saturday morning. The jet reportedly contacted the air traffic control tower at Kansai International Airport at about 8:45 a.m. on Saturday, saying, "We've lost control of the autopilot."

The pilot switched over to manual controls and made an emergency landing at Itami Airport about 10 minutes later. None of the 155 passengers and crewmembers on board were injured. ANA officials said that the autopilot stopped responding accurately while the aircraft was in flight. Although the plane was forced to make an emergency landing, there were reportedly no problems with the flight or landing after the pilot started using the manual controls. Land, Infrastructure and Transport officials at Itami Airport said a problem was found with the plane's speed indicator after it landed. They are continuing to investigate the incident. (Mainichi)

Where do we get such men ? ? ?

This is what happens when someone with an absolutley straight family tree sits on a retads "special" sock by accident.

That is a fabricated news report with a reporter writing what ever the hell they wanted to. I guarantee that crew didn't declare an emergancy. Probably and SOP that says if the ap fails to land and the nearest airport. Not an emergancy, just media trying to make a worthless story sound exciting.

Petrov said:
This is what happens when someone with an absolutley straight family tree sits on a retads "special" sock by accident.
That is quite possibly the most disgusting thing I have read on this board, while at the same time being one of the funniest.

Nice one Petrov.

Lrjtcaptain said:
That is a fabricated news report with a reporter writing what ever the hell they wanted to. I guarantee that crew didn't declare an emergancy. Probably and SOP that says if the ap fails to land and the nearest airport. Not an emergancy, just media trying to make a worthless story sound exciting.

Sorry, try again. No Boeing QRH would ever say, " Land at Nearest Suitable Airport " for an autopilot failure. Airbus, perhaps, but not Boeing. Boeings are designed to be flown manually if need be.

TP

I'll bet it's a company SOP to do so. Would you trust those guys hand-flying? Judging from a few pics I've seen of them landing at Kai Tak, it is justly so.

ReportCanoa said:
I'll bet it's a company SOP to do so. Would you trust those guys hand-flying? Judging from a few pics I've seen of them landing at Kai Tak, it is justly so.

ANA mainline has excellent pilots, and a flight ops. culture that supports "hand flying" of their aircraft. I would venture to say that these guys could out fly you any day reportcanoa. Stick to your B1900, with your attitude you will fly no place else.

Last edited:
How can you judge someones attitude by a comment like that? Just my opinion..Just a little out side the lines opinion...Chill out alittle bit and let the man express how he feels about some ANA's pilots...

Center...no pun intended but who are you to judge weather ANA guys can out fly ReportCanoa? Sounds like you just made a the same comment to him as he did about ANA guys?

At the end of the story it ststes there was "a problem with the (air) speed indicator". Perhaps theres more to the story.

Maybe some sort of pitot static or air data malfunction?

I can't imagine two trained pilots would say the "e" word simply for a busted autopilot.

I'd like to see the source for the article. It's sounds sort of like a "All Your Base Are Belong To Me" translation.

Anyhow, If they had an wierd ADC failure, or something that was giving them conflicting sets of data, that would warrent the "E" word. I kinda doubt it was just an AP failure.

Latest resources

Back