• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMR sells Executive Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is that a big concern for Executive since they are based primarily in Puerto Rico? They have some flying in Miami too, I know, but I thought that they had a pretty exclusive operation out there in the eastern Carribbean.

It would take a considerable amount of money to set up a whipsaw carrier out there. American, for one, could ill afford that.
How 'bout Mesa/Freedumb perhaps? Oops, Mesa is ALPA.

Yes, it would be more difficult (not impossible) to set up a whipsaw operation in SJU. MIA would be easier.

But It'll be at least 2006 before they'll have to worry. The Executive pilots will be free to negotiate a new contract starting in 2004. Add 18 months or so to reach self help.

....unless of course Baseball-style arbitration is in force.

Indeed, it wont be soon. With all the changes in the industry, it is difficult to project what will be happening in three or four years.

One of the legacies from the Comair strike was the message to management that regional airline pilots have the fortitude to sustain a lengthy job action. The responding tactic of spreading the whipsaw carriers over multiple hubs ensures that a strike would not only affect the carriers primary hub, but all the mainline carrier's hubs.

Prior to last year, regional airline strikes were few, short, and far between. I get the impression now that suddenly the unthinkable is a lot more thinkable. Oh, and by the way, I seem to recall that the Executive pilots did strike some years ago albeit a rather short one.

I am constantly amazed at the apparent lack of respect that some groups have for the resolve of regional pilots.

FCJ,

Perhaps that attitude is left over from the days of PFT. As many regional airlines were PFT, one can hardly blame mgt for not respecting their pilots. After all, those pilots had already paid them big bucks to work for them, hardly a practice that would lead mgt to respect them.

On the other hand, I think what you guys during the strike went a very long way towards changing that attitude. I could not have been more impressed with your group's courage and resolve. You have changed a lot of people's perceptions, especially mgt's.

I've said it many times in the past, and I'll say it again...Great job.

Last edited:
Wow, so now we are discussing Pay For Training? Truly, all these topics are interconnected. I would only counter your point by saying that Pay(ing) For Training only affected a relatively small number of pilots at a limited number of airlines but you might be on to something.

That said, however, we can expect irresistable (to management, that is) economic forces to allow for PFT to raise its butt-ugly head. And that might be the ruse that management might use to keep from hiring very worthy furloughed airline pilots.

Now, if we can work the RJDC into it, we shall have touched on all the hot buttons.;)

No, my intention was not to start a PFT debate (I have my hands full with the rjdc!) bit to attempt to illustrate on possible reason for the lack of respect you mentioned. That being said, I agree that PFT might again be on the horizon.

It would be a real shame if people buy into the scam again. However, it would not be much of a surprise.

Back to Eagle. I might have hijacked another thread, but I am trying to surrender!

Publishers stated:

"You can say strike in 2004, but, remember, you are now talking about a small regional carrier, not American. You shut down and they will have someone else there the next day."

You must not have ever worked in San Juan before. That would be easier said than done. The workers there would make every attempt to shut down the entire airport......

While I was down there, they literally had an island-wide strike in support of one of the utility unions (I think it was the phone company). Now, not every entity took part in it, but I do remember seeing ALOT of businesses closed that day. They even had the main entrance to the airport covered.........

Right on. I flew with a former Executive pilot awhile back and he said pretty much the same thing.

They do not like gringos down there. Imagine the welcome a SCAB gringo would recieve!
:D

Comair

The legacy of the Comair strike was that majors need not be held hostage by their regionals and most of what has happened since is the longer term reaction to that.

You may or may not be correct about SJU but remember that if things hold true to form, American will not be beholden to Executive forever and regardless of what you think, there is always someone else coming down the path.

With all due respect Publishers, you have made an erroneous premise which, of course, leads to your faulty conclusion. The Comair strike did quite effectively hamstring Delta to the tune of $680 million dollars, a figure derived from their annual report. That management will seek a way around future similar situations by spreading the flying around amortizes the risk is an as yet, unproven tactic. More airlines whipsawed against each other in more hubs only increases the chance of a debilitating job action, not lessens it.

Kind of like the old twin Apache I used to fly. Really a split single if there ever was one. Two engines did not make it any safer, my chances of an engine failure followed by a forced landing were twice as great!

The good pilots of Executive do not intend to be stationairy targets. Management is making their move and so will they at the proper time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back