• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMFA/NWA Srike Over?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Bub, you actively pursued and chose that life style, knowing full well what was in store for you.

When you were instructing, how many nights away from home did you spend?

If you made a choice, and you are not happy about it, tough it out or change your life style.

Welcome to my world.

You're right, I did pursue this job. However, the realities of it really sink in once you get in it for a few months. Kinda like the high school student that wants to join the Navy for the adventure, yet finds he stuck in the bowls of a ship for months on end as an Electricians Mate.

While I was instructing, I was home everynight, but also made 14K my best year.

I wish I could change, but since I am a part of your world, once removed, my skills don't transfer. So I'm stuck! Yours do, I'd imagine. If you wanted to take night school to be an ASE mechanic at your Ford dealership, you could. I don't have the luxury of taking night classes...I'm gone!

However, I do enjoy many aspects of my job, but I don't agree that we have an equal lifestlye.

(DISCLAIMER: I've never been a mechanic, just like I'm sure you've never been a line pilot. I'm just pointing out my point of view.)

You're not stuck, you're not motivated enough to something about it. You are only limited by the size of your cojonies. You might be thinking "Do I have enough seniority to bid my kids birthday off", or "A couple of months more, and I can upgrade". The answer is never. By the time that you're senior enough to get those days off, it'll be time to upgrade and then you'll be a junior captain, and can't get those days off. And by the time that you're a senior captain, you'll want to go to another carrier with bigger equipment, and the cycle starts all over again. You have to answer your own question, is the money worth the quality of life issues? It looks like you are on the road to the former, but you are not happy with your decision.

You must have been a victim of shiney jet syndrome. "Ooooh, aaaaahh, I get to fly a jet, where do I sign?" Don't feel bad, I get the same feelings when I step on the Snap On truck.

Just like most pilots, you're not happy unless you are biatching about something, doesn't matter what, but you have to biatch about something.

Just like most pilots, you're not happy unless you are biatching about something, doesn't matter what, but you have to biatch about something.

Yes, I was the victim of Shiney Jet Syndrome, just like all of us when we were 6 (in my case, in 1986) and saw Top Gun for the first time. Except I decided to do something about it.

The realities do not always match up with the dream.

And for the record, I've just graduatued from a university with my MBA while I was flying the line....So yeah, I've been motivated enough to make a change. Oh, I also just bought my 2nd rental property.

Don't tell me I'm not motivated, ass hole. I'm just trying to point out what goes on from the other side of the field.

More to come later, dinner with my family awaits!

Next week on As the Propeller Turns....

Yes, I was the victim of Shiney Jet Syndrome, just like all of us when we were 6 (in my case, in 1986) and saw Top Gun for the first time. Except I decided to do something about it.

The realities do not always match up with the dream.

And for the record, I've just graduatued from a university with my MBA while I was flying the line....So yeah, I've been motivated enough to make a change. Oh, I also just bought my 2nd rental property.

Don't tell me I'm not motivated, ass hole. I'm just trying to point out what goes on from the other side of the field.

More to come later, dinner with my family awaits!

OK Jump on My Pole d!ck he@d pile it, if you were motivated, you wouldn't be here b!tching about your crappy life style, you would have done something about it, your friken loser.

Now you can go back to your Hungry man tv dinner and cry in your ginger ale.

Quotes from jump pilot:
I wish I could change, but since I am a part of your world, once removed, my skills don't transfer. So I'm stuck! Yours do, I'd imagine. If you wanted to take night school to be an ASE mechanic at your Ford dealership, you could. I don't have the luxury of taking night classes...I'm gone!

And for the record, I've just graduated from a university with my MBA while I was flying the line....So yeah, I've been motivated enough to make a change. Oh, I also just bought my 2nd rental property.

So jump pilot what are you saying? You don't have the luxury of taking night classes to further your education, because you're flying the line. But in your next post you say you just received your MBA while flying the line. One post you say you're stuck, the next you say you've been making a change. What exactly are you trying to say? You can't have it both ways.

Quotes from jump pilot:

So jump pilot what are you saying? You don't have the luxury of taking night classes to further your education, because you're flying the line. But in your next post you say you just received your MBA while flying the line. One post you say you're stuck, the next you say you've been making a change. What exactly are you trying to say? You can't have it both ways.

I'm stuck, in the sense I can't make a traditional career switch. As any pilot will tell you, the only way you are going to get ahead and diversify is by 1) getting an additional degree online and 2) get a second trade by reading a lot of books.

You're right, you can't have it both ways. I can only hope to better myself by getting an online MBA (when I'd rather be taking a computer programming class at the community college) and learning how to buy and sell realestate through my own hard work.

I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. What it boils down to, is I hate being away from home so much. Yeah, I chose it, but until you experience it, you'll have no idea how much it sucks.

Last edited:
The sooner we all figure out.. Management loves this kind of 'unrest' amongst work groups... the soorner we a figure this out, the better off all airline employees will be.

I believe AAR is now doing some NWA's checks... Oh... great benefits and wages.. grind corrosion till the cows come home for half the rate.. geez that sounds great.. and the vacation is great too, health care is to die for, and retirement is fantastic !

Sad day indeed ...

Latest resources

Back