• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMFA/NWA Srike Over?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pw4000... you screw up, I die. I screw up - I die. Not quite the same, is it?

So I guess were not talking about responsibility here, were talking about your mortality. Personally, if my mortality affected how I did my job, I'd probably go out and find different job. You are responsible for only one plane at one time, when you set the brakes and get off, your liability associated to that plane has ended. A mechanics liability continues for months and sometimes years later. The mechanic is responsible for thousands of lives at once. You are responsible for at the most, a few hundred. Not quite the same, is it?

All in all though, our jobs are completely different. I don't care what you make as I am not in your job classification. So why do you think you should have any say in what I make? Maybe you should be in management.

Last edited:
We can talk about this in person, next time I need the bugs wiped off the windshield.

I'll wipe the bugs off your windshield, but it will cost you $50.00 and that's only if it takes less than 15 min. If it's longer than that I'll have to charge you more.

Stal6

Aircraft have automatic pilots. Aircraft do not have automatic mechanics.....

That said, if we (mechanics) got paid as much or more than pilots, there wouldn't be any pilots or mechanics working in US aviation.

As Rodney King once said "can't we all just get along?" lol!!!

I agree.

They have just as much responsibility as the pilots. And when was the last time you saw a mechanic sitting in a cushy chair with a head rest sucking down diet Pepsi's and peanuts watching a computerized wrench repairing the airplane?

And when was the last time you saw a mechanic have to sleep in a hotel bed 15 nights out of the week?

And when was the last time you saw a mechanic lose his job because his blood pressure was "a little out of limits"?

And when was the last time you saw a mechanic die because he screwed up?

I agree we should all be paid well, especially considering the business we're in. But lets call a spade a spade. Pilots have to put up with a lot more than the "cushy chair, give me a diet pepsi" life.

I'd gladly trade a significant portion of my pay if it meant I could be home every night. Hey, maybe then I could save money by actually eating a home cooked meal.

And mechs don't get paid to sit in a fluffy seat at three five oh reading the USA Today sipping a cola, wondering what their stocks are going to do....

...all the while heading to some crappy destination to sit in a hotel room for 24 hours with a crew they hate, only to have one day off then do it all again for another 4 days.

Oh, did I mention your son broke his arm while playing baseball and you're not home for another 3 days? Or your grass needs mowed?

Even while working the crappiest mechanic shift, you can still find time to come home to deal with the mundance aspects of life us pilots yearn for so much.

Hey Bub, you actively pursued and chose that life style, knowing full well what was in store for you.

Not all pilots live in hotel rooms, or are away from the family for days on end. When you were instructing, how many nights away from home did you spend?

If you made a choice, and you are not happy about it, tough it out or change your life style.

Welcome to my world.

I don't think they're unhappy about it, just telling it like it is. I've worked both sides and am happier flying though it does take away alot of time at home. The mechanics make more than pilots here at least for the first few years. The ride on mechanics typically make more than most fo's and engineers.

Then why do pilots act like or were white collar but when then get bad it's oh were blue collar. Mechanics pay should be the same as a pilot

Then why do pilots act like or were white collar but when then get bad it's oh were blue collar. Mechanics pay should be the same as a pilot

Oh this is SO painfull to read, please git spel cehck or granmer chek or sumpin' please yur keelin mi. (do you knoe jon karrey)

Latest resources

Back