Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RefugePilot

Paperwork Proficient
I am looking to get of the Jo' and examining my options. I am looking for any advice about the Billings base.

I have done some research here and have talked to a few other AMF pilots, just looking for as much info as I can get. Bitter ex-employees need not respond.

Thanks

Good group of guys up there. Most runs are outstations. Gettin' cold! Ops manager......well.....ummm......good businessman!

Not sure I am going anywhere yet, but the NW is very top heavy in Seniority so I am just testing the waters elsewhere.

So Citabria what runs are they looking to fill in SLC and what's wrong with them?

what runs are they looking to fill in SLC and what's wrong with them?

There's only one BE99 run out of SLC with a good amount of time: 411 SLC-VGT-BUR which will get you roughly 6 hours a night. It takes a good amount of seniority to get that one.

The rest are roughly 2 hours a day, and you spend your entire day at the outstation. Plenty of cold ones there too: RXE and JAC especially.

Don't let TimeBuilder make SLC sound like an awful place. Yes, JAC is cold, but its also a great place to spend the day. Skiing, hiking, great western style town, etc. I plan on skiing Jackson Hole the entire month of Dec.

411 is a high time run, but does go to the highest seniority 99 driver. You'd probably be in a 1900 or Metro before you could get 411... Personally, I'd rather have the better pay then to fly all night long in a 99. Besides, not too many 99 runs in the entire AMF system over 2.5 hours.

SLC is not an outstation base like Billings, so they aren't looking to fill any particular run. We have one outstation (Idaho Falls) that may be coming open pretty soon, but I don't know much about what they are going to do with it.

Mostly we just need pilots for staffing and to maybe get back to a better schedule. We had a big exodus to Skywest not too long ago and a few have left from the Metro and 1900 ranks for NetJets and corporate gigs.

Plan duty day from 5am-8pm m-f. Long day, but management and the pilot group make up for it. Not to mention the most excellent snow on earth for skiing... Lot's to do, just have to make the best of it.

I average 2.2 a day in the Metro, most of the 99 runs will be a tad longer. 2.3-2.5, pushing 3 or 3.5 when the weather turns to suck.

Last edited:
Refugee- Aren't you in PDX? Seems like most of SLC is former PDX pilots, myself and Citabria included. We have an awesome group of guys here, including the ACP and ops manager. It's a totally different atmosphere than PDX (in a good way). If we had enough 99 pilots, they would have a 4 on, 3 off schedule. SLC is a great area to live if you like outdoor stuff. Best skiing in the U.S. in the winter, best mountain biking in the summer. Lots of hiking, camping, etc. Also, I think upgrades to the Metro/1900 are likely to be quicker here than in BIL... but just from what I've seen, never can say for sure what the future holds. I'd definitely consider SLC, it's a great base. System-wide, runs are short with few exceptions... its the nature of the business. Don't listen to time builder, he doesn't work here, never did. PM myself or Citabria if you want, we'd be happy to answer any questions.

It takes a good amount of seniority to get that one.

Why don't you post about something you know? Like renting Be-99's....

411 was awarded to the most junior pilot here this bid.

Last edited:
Wow, eatsleepfly, you've got me figured out. I'm just a rich kid who rents BE99s on the weekends. Do a little research, my background isn't that hard to figure out.
BTW, I wasn't doggin on SLC, just giving him an idea of what the routes are like. SLC would be my first choice of bases, and RXE would be my preffered route (its cold, but I like the route, you pick up a lot of "specials").

Never mind, after having to scrape ice off of my plane and then car at cold/dark:30, San Juan is looking like my choice for quick turbine advancement. I am seriously wondering if I could survive the Rockys as cold as I was on the PDX ramp this morning.

I know all about the Rockys and SLC. I have skied Park City since the 80s (yes I'm that old) and lived in JAC for 8 years. Citabria if you would give up the JAC run, I will start packing my bags and call your ACP in the morning. I am just starting to put out feelers for an upward move. I know how good the snow is around SLC, that is why spending 12 hours in a hotel in Pocatello would be very hard, knowing you are dropping into Corbets while I waste away just over the hill.

I have come to the conclusion that QOL and freight doggin are not compatible terms, but the QOFlying make up for it. If I am going to be gone all day I am looking to log enough hours to make it worthwhile. SLC may be my best option, but 15 hour days for 2.5 logged is not optimum, do they put you in a nice hotel at least?

A joke for SLC pilots:
Why do people come up to Jackson Hole to party?

Because God can't see over the Tetons.

There's some nice hotels (another reason I like RXE, for all the free breakfasts I've enjoyed there), JAC has a company apartment. I'd better stop acting like I know what I'm talking about before eatsleepfly gets on my case again, I moved from SLC a few months ago, so I'm not "current."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back