• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMF BIL base to close

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who knows, with Alpines record, AMF could stay open and fly adhoc to back them up and be even more profitable...

Kinda' like CVG...

Too bad for the long timers in Montana. You can probably get hired by Alpine though. As far as bad mouthing UPS for finding someone cheaper to bid, you guys need to realize that the whole industry has changed. Heck, Mesa, Skywest are replacing other regionals in a race to the bottom. Air Wisky used to be a classy operation, not anymore. Mesaba was once a coveted job to get. Delta/Nwa/Ual used to pay a decent wage for Fo's to live on. Commuting to your domicle wasn't too bad. Free travel was abundant. Flight attendant were hot and female. Pilots were regarded with high esteem. It's over boys and it ain't coming back. Nothing to do but suck it up and move on or change careers and think about the good old days. Good luck

As far as bad mouthing UPS for finding someone cheaper to bid, you guys need to realize that the whole industry has changed. Heck, Mesa, Skywest are replacing other regionals in a race to the bottom. Air Wisky used to be a classy operation, not anymore. Mesaba was once a coveted job to get. Delta/Nwa/Ual used to pay a decent wage for Fo's to live on. Commuting to your domicle wasn't too bad. Free travel was abundant. Flight attendant were hot and female. Pilots were regarded with high esteem. It's over boys and it ain't coming back. Nothing to do but suck it up and move on or change careers and think about the good old days. Good luck
I think AMF is trying to prove otherwise to UPS. AMF doesn't want to be part of a "race to the bottom" and with shortages of pilots and feeder aircraft having more of an effect on other companies, now is the time to hold strong.

Also, the whole regional analogy doesn't completely fit with cargo. With cargo you fly as few flights as possible, where with passengers you want more options for departure times.

Airlines will always need regionals to get into smaller cities, and use regionals in larger cities to fill in the gaps where economically advantageous. When the advantage goes away they go large, and thus keep the pressure on the regionals to "race to the bottom." Look at what Delta is doing to their regional partners right now.

On the other hand, where cargo feeders are strictly for small cities, you can only have feeders compete with one another. The mainline competion factor is removed, and thus you have a different ball game.

Who knows, with Alpines record, AMF could stay open and fly adhoc to back them up and be even more profitable...

Kinda' like CVG...

GR will not let us back up Alpine ever again. I agree. We have been 'saving their a$$' all year at BFI. We don't back 'em up....they fail service. PERIOD. Ba$tard$!

GR will not let us back up Alpine ever again. I agree. We have been 'saving their a$$' all year at BFI. We don't back 'em up....they fail service. PERIOD. Ba$tard$!

Agreed, let them blow service. let UPS see what they got them selfs into.

They also fly US Mail out in BIL correct? If they don't get Dedicated planes out there for each, and someone is heavy which do you bump?

Agreed, let them blow service. let UPS see what they got them selfs into.

They also fly US Mail out in BIL correct? If they don't get Dedicated planes out there for each, and someone is heavy which do you bump?
Normally I'd say UPS pays better, but it seems like they're starting to prove otherwise.

As I heard it, UPS is in a position where they need to reduce costs in Montana seriously. If Alpine works out, great. If not, Montana gets driven ... no next day air anymore. It doesn't reflect on AMF's service or capabilities.

TransMach

As I heard it, UPS is in a position where they need to reduce costs in Montana seriously. If Alpine works out, great. If not, Montana gets driven ... no next day air anymore. It doesn't reflect on AMF's service or capabilities.

TransMach

Sounds similar to when DHL pulled out of Montana. Only about 5% of the freight going on the planes was actually "air" freight. The rest was just because the plane was there, so they put ground freight in it.

So, not enough work to justify dedicated aircraft.

Latest resources

Back