Ameristar, the new Schedule, and Ethics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
honeycomb said:
I would go farther.....ANY PLACE that requires a contract for training is a SCUM-BAG operation.

Why is it unreasonable for a company to ensure if it invests a lot of money in training somebody that they get the benefit of that training? I think it is fair for a company who pays for your type rating to get the use of that rating, not their competitor.

Obviously if the contract or other conditions are unfair to the employee the correct thing to do is not sign it and not work there. But I don't see why it is a wholly evil thing.

Really?

AC560 said:
Why is it unreasonable for a company to ensure if it invests a lot of money in training somebody that they get the benefit of that training? I think it is fair for a company who pays for your type rating to get the use of that rating, not their competitor.

I think you have swallowed the bait, hook, line, rod and reel, bait bucket and tackle box. I doubt you have worked too many places that do and do not require such a document. Though I have never worked for such a company... my opinions are from 20 plus years in a professional aviation observation post.

But, let me give you the absolute minimum on the subject.

There is a reason why they need such a document. And, instead of fixing the problem (work enviornment, pay/qol) they force you to give loyality without any return.

Do you think that these contracts are signed by the employeer? No only the employee. It is a one way street. If you, for some reason, ask to get a guarantee on your pay for that period of time.... What do you think the company would say. If you made them sign a document that read... No provisions of pay and qol will change during my tenure of employment under this contract OR it becomes nullllll and voooooid.

If they want to protect the investment then: ONE, Pay and QOL are the best way to keep a pilot. TWO, Do a better job of interviewing. Find out why or what is motivating the pilot. Does he really want to work here or is he a type rating whore?

It is the company's fault not the pilots'.

AC560 said:
Obviously if the contract or other conditions are unfair to the employee the correct thing to do is not sign it and not work there. But I don't see why it is a wholly evil thing.

Like I said Never Under-Estimate a Pilot and his/her ability to take a BAD Job!

Nature of On-Demand

Thanks honeycomb for having all the answers, I sure all of us in the on-demand business now feel a lot better about the whole situation. You can go back to your perfect world of QOL and pay with a sense of having served the greater whole of the aviaiton community, and let those of us who had to sacrifice QOL for eating get on with our miserable existence.

Last edited:
PilotYIP,

Sir, I don't know you. I would venture a guess on a few things about you...but I will not go so far as to tell you I know you.

But, I do wish to tell you this.... you make me SICK everytime you post. You may have one to two posts I can agree with.

This hiring boom..... you are all over the place! And, you are everywhere saying how great things are going to be.

Though, you are a mgmt type.

Your profile says it all. You are an Amateur! And, nothing more Sir.

The rest of us Professionals (look up the difference in the dictionary) are tired (I for One am sick and tired) of your assualt on the pursuit of a PAY CHECK AND DAYS OFF in this profession!

Do me a favor the next time you don't like my post PM me Sir (and I use that term lightly).

I have refrained from any public comments but you have left me No other choice with your now public comments.

You sir would not know a quality job if it hit you over the head. So, I doubt you'll ever know.

Last edited:
Unite http://www.ibt1108.org/index.html

Professional Aviators with Strong Union Representation

The International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 1108 is dedicated to professional union representation for professional aviators. Our mission is to remove pilot job security, wages, benefits, and working conditions from the competitive consumer market by advocating a “safety first” work environment and establishing professional collective bargaining agreement standards across the industry. Strong Union representation neutralizes management pressures that focus on profits at the expense of safety. Professional career opportunities attract the best pilots, and only professional collective bargaining agreements provide stable professional career opportunities.​

Last edited:
BINGO...good post!

Funny how even though the "official word" has been circulating since Monday, I have yet to hear from anyone at the CP office. Ever hear of a memo? So much for communication...

Wiggums said:
The word is official, Ameristar's new schedule is 5 on, 2 off, plus every fourth weekend you have to work through Saturday and Sunday, making that week a 12 day straight stretch. This basically works out to 32 days more work per year, with no increase in pay or vacation to compensate. This is on top of already working more days per year for less pay then anyone of our other competitors.

I used to think Ameristar was a decent place to build your time and experience to move on to bigger and better things. I even recommend some friends of mine for jobs there. There are very few faster ways to build your turbine time, most importantly your turbine PIC time.

However, it turns out that the management there is completely unethical and treats the crews like they are indentured servants. Every pilot there is signed an eighteen month, non-prorated contract. The way the contract is written Ameristar could require you to work every day of the year and there would be no relief. There is basically an implied understanding about Ameristar's schedule and bases policy. To go and change the way things have been done for over a decade in one fell swoop is very unethical. Pilots have structured their lives around this implied understanding. Everyone who is commuting is in a very difficult situation, especially if they have families. Could you imagine having to tell your wife and kids that you in a few weeks you will have to move hundreds of miles, or you will only see them three days a month?

Even pilots that already live in their bases are getting treated badly. Crews get to pick their schedule for the entire year and many have bid particular groups in order to have certain days off. Now that is all completely thrown out the window. How wrong is it cause someone to miss a special event that they may have been planning all year for.

Now if that isn't enough, the schedule changes are not even the whole story. A couple of crew members have been downgraded from captain to first officer. This is legitimate, the amount of captains needed varies with the needs of the business. However, what is completely unethical is changing someones seat and pay, but then holding them to their contract they signed when they upgraded. Sure it is completely legal according to the contract, but is that the right way to treat your people?

So this is how if you work at Ameristar you are basically an indentured servant. If they were to just lay you off, at least you would be released from your training contract and be able to look for other work. However, lets say you quit because you want to see your kids and don't want a divorce, you are on the hook for $18k plus legal expenses. They could require that you work everyday of the year and it would be completely legal.

Ameristar pilots are some of the hardest working pilots in the business. They get the job done under tough conditions with poor equipment. To try to solve the companies problems on the backs of the 135 pilots is a terrible thing to do. What about new schedules for the 121 pilots? What about pay cuts for other departments? How about cleaning out some of the inept people in dispatch, crew scheduling, and maintenance? Ameristar already has the advantage of very low crew costs, if the company cannot make it on the original pay and schedule then there are other problems.

This is the time for Ameristar pilots to stand up and say enough is enough. Wether it be outright quiting, refusing trips (max safety), or calling in the teamsters, something must be done.

Photoflight said:
Thats an easy fix man. Just start writing up every single thing, keep a list, photos, video, transcriptions of conversations. I'd say a month would probably do the trick at most cargo places.

If your fired for writing everything up...sue....get money back for contract + expenses.

If you quite you can clearly show how they were endangering you and your career...sue..get out of contract + every expense and expense of training fora new position

I had heard good things about ameristar.....thanks for the insight.

Hate to see good people treated badly.

Why aren't you doing this already? You bitch about not being treated as a professional. Professional pilots don't fly around in broken airplanes, nursing them along to save the hassle of not getting to where they want to go.

Mr. Wiggums, you are misinformed. The new schedule has the exact same number of days working, not 32 more, as you alleged. It is my understanding that the recent upgrades will continue to receive captain's pay regardless of what seat they are flying in.

honeycomb said:
I think you have swallowed the bait, hook, line, rod and reel, bait bucket and tackle box. I doubt you have worked too many places that do and do not require such a document. Though I have never worked for such a company... my opinions are from 20 plus years in a professional aviation observation post.

No I have never worked anyplace that engages in pilot training contracts. I have worked though and signed contracts guaranteeing my employment for a period of time in exchange for moving expenses, education expenses, etc. What benefit is it to the company to spend $50K to train me and now because I am more valuable asset lose me to a competitor before they can recoup their investment?

honeycomb said:
There is a reason why they need such a document. And, instead of fixing the problem (work enviornment, pay/qol) they force you to give loyality without any return.

Because there aren't pilots that would take a job from a good employer, with good QOL, and fair pay to get a type rating and then 6 months later leave for a better job leaving the company out a lot of money?

honeycomb said:
Like I said Never Under-Estimate a Pilot and his/her ability to take a BAD Job!

Piloting a modern aircraft and knowing the various FAR's isn't done by stupid people. I am constantly amazed at the knowledge exhibited by most posters here. If you can past the ATP written, you are smart enough to read a contract.

If its a bad deal don't sign it, don't take the job, but certainly don't blame the company for your poor decision.

Desk bound, from what I hear, piltos have gone from 8 days off every 28 days to 6 days off every 28 days, how is that not working more?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back