Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An up note

Guys,
I just got phone call from the Chief P. with some good news. Things are looking up for commuters a bit. More later...

Jim H.

honeycomb said:
My point is that you are not equiped to make such a call of Pilot intellect. Sorry.

I have worked with a lot of pilots in my years shipping boxes (which I assure you adds up to a lot more then 750hrs), why do I have to fly with one to know if he is smart or not? Are the pilots I know in the real estate business (aren't to many of those are there) to stupid to read a contract, or the ones that run their own business?

If the basis of this discussion was debating the finer points of flaring a 747 at MTOW out of CG on fire in six feet of snow you would have a point. The discussion though has nothing to do with flying.

Perspective.

Right I agree.

You have been around the more brain-y of the pilots. I have had to fly with the not so sharp.

And, to prove my point, ALPA is a shining example of Pilots Negotiating Contracts. Like I said, Pilots make great Pilots....They don't make good contract negotiators.

And, please stop hogging all the smart pilots. Let them go back to the airplane where they belong. :beer:

Windsor said:
How do you figure? we get 6 days off a month. 6 x 12 = 72
throw in the " 9 "days vacation 3 times a year. 9 x 3 = 27
which gives us a grand total of 99 days off

Anyone know if the "9 day vacation" will be 9 days off, or one 5 day rotation off, with the 2 already off-days on either end included?

AC560 said:
I have worked with a lot of pilots in my years shipping boxes (which I assure you adds up to a lot more then 750hrs), why do I have to fly with one to know if he is smart or not? Are the pilots I know in the real estate business (aren't to many of those are there) to stupid to read a contract, or the ones that run their own business?

If the basis of this discussion was debating the finer points of flaring a 747 at MTOW out of CG on fire in six feet of snow you would have a point. The discussion though has nothing to do with flying.

:confused: Go away AC560 and Cynic-adults are talking. Someday when you get a job besides UPS ramp rat you will see that training contracts are used by regionals, fractionals and even the military.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the "9 day vacation" will be 9 days off, or one 5 day rotation off, with the 2 already off-days on either end included?
Also don't forget that in the old plan you have seven days of vacation each year.

So you need 117 days off in the new plan including vaction to break even. Or 39 addition days above the basic 5-2-5-2-5-2-12-2 pattern.

Mr. Wiggums, you are misinformed. The new schedule has the exact same number of days working, not 32 more, as you alleged.
According to the numbers you post later, there are still more working days in the year. Plus when does the nine day begin and end? How does it intergrate into the rotations?

I know the chiefs solicited opinions because they wanted crews genuine input - not to start a flame where someone alleges 12% pay cuts and, effectively, an extra month per year of work!
I know that some people were never asked their opinion. These were people who are going to be affected to most, being that they are commuters NOT based in Dallas. Why is everything always done word of mouth, and those that are not in the "inner circle" or on the BNN always get left out? Why not put out a memo or email with the PROPOSED changes and ask for written feedback?

My intent is not to make anyone personally look bad. However, I am trying to point out that the company makes the pilots feel like they are essentially expendable. Even if this is NOT how management views the employees it is how they are comming across in this situation.

The thing with the 7 on and 7 off schedule is it wouldn't offer enough coverage of pilots to aircraft. They would have to hire additional classes and additional upgrades to captain and we all know they aren't going to do that. With the vacation time its going to be 5 days off every 4 months....BY SENOIRITY. So if you back that up against 2 weekends its 9 days off every 4 months. So you get 15 actual vacation days every year. As for thanksgiving i've heard that everyone will be on call or manning aircraft that day even though if you are you will probably sitting in base or at an aircraft for at least 4 straight days or more because there isn't crap that is going on over that weekend. As for the company getting christmas off i'm not sure. Again it would make no sense for anyone to really be on call anyway and be a waste of money. I would assume since christmas is on a monday it would be easy to give the company the whole day off. Apparantly the memo should be issued on friday and nobody can call crew schedule about vacation or getting days owed to them until this schedule is finalized. As for notice tug the CP was supposed to be calling everybody on tuesday but apparantly that did not happen.

It's looking like we are gonna have 4 groups and a rotating schedule of 5/2, 5/2 and 12/2. As far as the guys that currently commute the "CP's" are FIGHTING to allow you guys to be able to go on and off the road from/to your home. nobody is gonna be displaced now. they will remain a c/c until a position opens for them. Some guys/girls have been asked to move to another base to even up the crews. not sure how much AJI will help with the costs but they appear to be working on that. There are alot of people to blame over this but its not the cp's. I wish one time Mgmt would ask the entire pilot group for an opinion or a suggestion on something and keep us informed!!!! It's our company too!!. need to save money and cut costs? ask us!!! we see and know whats going on. We all know who deskbound is so be careful guys ;)

BNN!

Anyone need a room in YIP? I may have one for ya. PM me if ya have a need.

flyinloki said:
So you get 15 actual vacation days every year. As for thanksgiving i've heard that everyone will be on call or manning aircraft that day even though if you are you will probably sitting in base or at an aircraft for at least 4 straight days or more because there isn't crap that is going on over that weekend.
I still calculate that you are working 24 more days per year. Right now you get 117 days off including vacation. Under the new plan you would get 78+15 or 93 days off per year.

What about the issue of not being back at home on time? Under the old plan travel on your day off was never repaid. Now that the pilots will be traveling almost twice as much will time spent traveling beyond 6am be made up by the company?

If there is a new plan that makes sense and is fair then great, I would support that. Working an extra 3+ weeks for the same base pay is not a fair plan.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back