Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
US Airways Pilots Lend Support to Striking Amerijet Pilots

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – September 1, 2009 –
The pilots of US Airways, represented by the US Airline Pilots Association (USAPA), wish to lend their support to the pilots of Amerijet, who officially went on strike last week following a collapse in negotiations after five years of contract talks. Beginning today, US Airways pilots will be joining the Amerijet picket line.
“We absolutely give our support to the Amerijet pilots for taking a stand on the issues of aviation safety and common human decency,” said Mike Cleary, president of USAPA. “We understand that Amerijet is refusing to provide adequate sick time and even food, water or in-flight lavatories to its crews while on the job. Further, the Amerijet policy of punitively docking a pilot an extra five hours of pay when he or she is sick can only result in pilots choosing to fly when it may be unsafe in order to avoid losing pay. We have seen our own management, in step with the airline industry, race to the bottom to cut costs at the expense of its crew and passengers, putting the entire American flying public at risk.”
According to Teamsters Local 1224 and Coalition of Airline Pilots Associations (CAPA) bulletins issued earlier this week, Amerijet management reportedly walked out of negotiations last Wednesday after refusing to change its sick time policy or allow more than six sick days for pilots per year. The Local 1224 publication stated that current Amerijet policy provides that if crewmembers call in sick they not only lose flight credit for their trip but also are docked an additional five hours of pay.
Today, USAPA President Mike Cleary, Vice President Randy Mowrey, Strike Preparation Committee Chairman Rick Odato, Media Committee Chairman/Spokesman James Ray and a group of US Airways line pilots, along with Airline Division Director, International Brotherhood of Teamsters, David Bourne, will join the Amerijet pilots’ picket line in Miami.
The US Airways pilots sympathize with the Amerijet pilots’ situation, since they entered contract negotiations with US Airways management in November 2005 under the terms of a Transition Agreement at the time of the US Airways and America West merger. Because those 39 months of negotiations were largely unsuccessful, USAPA in February requested a National Mediation Board facilitator to assist the parties in reaching an agreement. US Airways management instead elected to exercise their right under the Transition Agreement to select a private mediator for the purpose of mediating contract talks. Those mediated talks continue, but no agreement has been reached.

Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., the US Airline Pilots Association (USAPA) represents more than 5,000 US Airways pilots in seven domiciles across the United States.

Press release

M
# # #​

Astar MEC fastread supporting AJT pilots

Good luck AJT'ers!

ASTAR MEC FastRead September 1, 2009

Amerijet Strike​

On August 27, 2009, the pilots and flight engineers of Amerijet, represented by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 769 went on strike.

Nobody from Teamsters has asked the ASTAR MEC or ALPA National for support in the Amerijet pilot and Flight Engineer Strike. However, we understand that communications can be difficult in this situation, and the ASTAR MEC wants to make it clear that we fully support the Amerijet pilots and Flight Engineers in their fight for a fair and equitable contract.

If you are in the Miami area and would like to show your support for the Amerijet pilots, picketing is occurring at the following location;

6185 Northwest 18th St.
Building 716
Miami (Cargo City)

You should go in uniform and introduce yourself to the picketing coordinator.

Below is a link to the article that the IBT has put out regarding the Amerijet strike.

http://www.teamster.org/content/five-years-bad-faith-bargaining-amerijet-results-strike

From the Capital Cargo MEC

September 1, 2009

Fellow Crewmembers,
As many of you know, the Amerijet crewmembers went on strike at 1630 ET on Thursday, August 27. This strike comes after a five-year struggle with Amerijet management to negotiate a contract. Amerijet management was unwilling to agree to meager improvements in wages for the crewmembers despite the fact that the corporation has enough financial resources to make business acquisitions and enter into long term leases on multi-million dollar equipment.
I had the privilege of walking the line with the Amerijet crewmembers on Sunday evening through Monday morning. I was joined by Captain J and crewmembers from several other airlines who volunteered their time to support the Amerijet crewmembers.
The CCI MEC supports the Teamsters Local 769 desire to achieve a fair contract and the Amerijet crewmembers’ legal right to engage in a strike. You can show your support for the Amerijet crewmembers by joining them on the picket line at the following location:
6185 Northwest 18th St.
Building 716
Miami (Cargo City)
Please note the following picketing guidelines:

· ****************************************Introduce yourself and present your ID and/or union card.

· ****************************************Let them know you are there to assist them in picketing.

· ****************************************If you are asked to carry a picket sign, remain within the designated picketing areas.

· ****************************************If the press is on site and you are approached, direct any questions they may have to the on-site strike coordinator/representative.

In Unity

Yeah that John M. was a real piece of work. Really disrespectful to the FOs and FEs. I heard that he is at Qatar Airways but not a 100 percent sure. I just hope that he is going through hell as an FO(it's all about karma, is it)??

So whats the latest on ABX flyng struck cargo??? anyone??

I do not know of one ABX pilot that has flown AJT freight and all that I have spoke with will not. Management however... I don't know how you guys view those things since they are bound by different rules and job protections.

I feel I should also add that the flights that ABX has operated with management crews is NOT additional flying. This is flying ABX was doing for Amerijet well before the strike. ABX does not have the aircraft or crews to fly Amerijet flights. There have been no other routes or flights added than what was there before the strike.

From ALPA national in their Fastread email. 9/1

ALPA Supports Amerijet Pilots

As many of you know, Amerijet crewmembers have been on strike for six days. This unfortunate turn of events is a result of being locked in a bitter dispute with management. These men and women are looking for basic improvements in their first contract while dealing with a company that has shown no respect for them or the negotiating process.
Although Amerijet is not an ALPA carrier, it is imperative that we support all airline pilots in the fight for fair and equitable contracts. To that end, if any of you are in the Miami area and are willing to support the pilots and flight engineers of Amerijet, they will be picketing the offices of the airline 24/7. The offices are located next to the ATC tower in Cargo City at Miami International Airport . The address is:
Amerijet International
6185 NW 18 ST BLG 716-B
Miami , FL 33142

The pilots and flight engineers of Amerijet, represented by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 769, have not yet contacted ALPA for support in the strike. However, we want to make it clear that ALPA fully supports the Amerijet crewmembers in this dispute. A delegation from ALPA’s national Strategic Preparedness and Strike Committee will travel to Miami to offer its assistance to the crewmembers of Amerijet.
Nothing displays our solidarity more than showing support through e-mails or letters of support, or better yet, walking the picket line.

From ALPA national in their Fastread email. 9/1

ALPA Supports Amerijet Pilots

As many of you know, Amerijet crewmembers have been on strike for six days. This unfortunate turn of events is a result of being locked in a bitter dispute with management. These men and women are looking for basic improvements in their first contract while dealing with a company that has shown no respect for them or the negotiating process.
Although Amerijet is not an ALPA carrier, it is imperative that we support all airline pilots in the fight for fair and equitable contracts. To that end, if any of you are in the Miami area and are willing to support the pilots and flight engineers of Amerijet, they will be picketing the offices of the airline 24/7. The offices are located next to the ATC tower in Cargo City at Miami International Airport . The address is:
Amerijet International
6185 NW 18 ST BLG 716-B
Miami , FL 33142

The pilots and flight engineers of Amerijet, represented by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 769, have not yet contacted ALPA for support in the strike. However, we want to make it clear that ALPA fully supports the Amerijet crewmembers in this dispute. A delegation from ALPA’s national Strategic Preparedness and Strike Committee will travel to Miami to offer its assistance to the crewmembers of Amerijet.
Nothing displays our solidarity more than showing support through e-mails or letters of support, or better yet, walking the picket line.

Better late than never............... I guess.

Welcome to the party boys, now national can get with what the rest of the "local alpa line guys" have been doing for almost a week, supporting a fellow union pilot, to help raise the bar for all, not just ALPA National.

(wow who would have guessed I had all that pent up rage from being a former ALPA member, now if I could work throught my Teamster issues I just might be OK :laugh:)

Amerijet pilots hang in there.

Latest resources

Back