Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ameriflight vs. a regional (like QX or Skywest)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captainover

I'm weighing my options and would appreciate any input regarding this. I just about have the mins for 135. I'm curious about ameriflight and how going with them for awhile compares to working for skywest or Horizon. I like amflight's bases and the fying sounds like a blast. I undersatnd it's a great way to get turbine PIC in a hurry. They list the starting pay for pilots, but no further mention about how much it sweetens over time. I would love some input about this if anyone has it. Also, I have heard that southwest, FEDEX, and UPS hire directly from them. Is this true? Looking forward to what y'all have to say about this. Thanks!

There are a lot of pilots out there with 1000's of hours in the left seat of an RJ with apps in at all the majors. Don't get too hung up on the idea of 1000 turbine PIC in a 99 or Metro equals a seat in groundschool at WN. You may end up staying a while. I'm not saying it won't happen but I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

Not sure if any Part 135 single pilot flying really "sounds like a blast." I've got a fair amount of 135 PIC in some pretty areas of the country but there's a lot to be said for a Part 121 crew environment. I don't know your quals but judging from your profile AMF might be a good place to gain experience before going to a good regional.

Meeting the minimums is just that...minimums. To be selective, you will need to be competitive and not just meet the minimums. Keep being optimistic...but more importantly...keep flying...and keep sending out resumes! Start preparing for interviews...now. Obviously focus on the ones that you will think will be a good choice...SkyWest would be a good choice for a commuter (the only commuter I'd recommend). Commuters used to be a good stepping stone to the majors, but corporate (not charter) would be a more comfortable route to get to the bigger planes. Right now the best salaries are corporate pilots (other than FedEx, SWA, UPS). I fly a very small private jet...yet I make more money then some captains who fly wide body jets all over the world...and more than I ever did...even in the majors! Shocking and disgusting, but true. There are options...that's the good news. Hope that helps you out.

I worked at Ameriflight for 7 years. When I first started I thought I would get some experience and get on with a commuter/regional. Well by the time I had some competetive experience I was making enough $ that it was difficult to take a pay cut to go back to 1st year FO. I stuck it out and years later left to fly for small jet national airline(737). Anyway finally got hired by Southwest. Had over 10000tt 5000 multi turbine.

Here's my point. It is difficult to go straight from Ameriflight to Southwest.
I know there are some who have done it but I believe they were some charming mofo's.

Flying for a regional vs flying frieght, to me there's no comparison. Flying for a passenger carrier is so much more fun. I wish I could go back and change the past. You have so many more opportunities to network flying for a regional. At Ameriflight you will be meet other pilots but you will rarely fly with them. You all will meet at the sort hub or layover apartment. At a regional you will fly with many different pilots as a first officer and captain thus increasing the chances of making friends and future references.

grain of salt

I worked at amerflight for awhile, and it was a pretty good job. PM me and I can give you the lowdown.

Having flown for a regional and now at AMF, I can tell you it is a lot harder flying a Metro single pilot than it is to fly anything any regional flies. Consequently, you'll get a lot more respect from your interviewers and you'll actually have enough money to rent an apartment or buy a car. Forget the regionals, they are bad, there is no such thing as a good regional or commuter.

My friend flies for AM Flight. It's better than flight instructing but boy do you work. You fly early in the morning and late at night - you rest period is during the day. No A/C in the Cheiftan which makes it a bit warm from time to time. Pilots help load the aircraft.

You do get PIC time but it might take awhile to get to the 99. My friend has been there for over a year and still hasn't touched a 99. I don't believe the money is very good there either.

SkyWest is a nice place to work... maybe even spend the rest of your career here. You won't make millions, but personally I think it's enough to be happy. Good people, good equipment and for the most part, they take good care of us. No ground schools until at least January though and I've heard there's a pool....

I think its all what you make of it. There are pilots from all different backgrounds who are getting on with UPS, SWA and the like. I have heard of guys who were well above minimums who didn't get hired and others who were right AT the minimums who did. Personality, references, etc. all come into play. As for time to a 99...I know a guy who was in my class who had a 99 in two months. I'm right at 6 months. It depends on the base and if you are willing to move around. Either way, I don't think either one is necessarily the "best" choice... Do what you can and enjoy the journey.

Apply at both, go to the first one that offers a job. I've flown with guys at SkyWest that have spent many years at AMF or Airnet and have plenty of PIC turbine that have now come to fly at a regional to get some 121 time. Perhaps they'll never need any 121 PIC time to move on to their dream job.

Stability and decent pay are the two main reasons I decided to stay at Ameriflight and not pursue flying for a Regional. I've never had to worry about being displaced or furloughed from Ameriflight. In addition, management is decent, there are no pilot contract issues, and in general you dont have to put up with a lot of the instability issues you would at a Regional. We have a pretty good pilot group, most of who seem to be quite happy with their jobs.

The flying is easy but is overall good experience. Some of our bases have 3 or 4 day work week schedules which beats most schedules at the Regionals. Plus, being home every night is a big plus.

Upgrades can be very quick depending on your base and or if you're willing to move around. Not all people come to Ameriflight with the hopes of flying for SWA or UPS. A lot of our pilots are leaving for really good corporate jobs. I know of two people who have left within the past year that are now flying Gulfstream GV's.

As citabria pilot stated, it is what you make of it. If you want to fly with people and interact with people, then Ameriflight might not be the place for you. If you want good experience at a stable company with the opportunity to built turbine PIC time rather quickly, then this is a company I'd definetly look into.

Latest resources

Back