Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ameriflight vs. a regional (like QX or Skywest)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just wondering what AMF minimums are and are they allowed to lower the minimums for people who get LOR from people within AMF?

Thanks

Another thing to consider -- what if you can't get hired somewhere good in 3-5 years. Where would you rather be stuck, RJ captain or .. ? Like Dave said, I know guys here at SkyWest with 6-7000+ hours, multiple types, and years of 121 PIC experience that haven't been able to move on

Here's what blows my mind...someone mentioned that they want crew experience and like that the RJ has an FMS which pilots would be familiar with. Well, I may not know everything, but it seems like a new RJ and new B737 are basically the same type of machine. Very automated, nice FMS's, etc. etc. One just carries a smaller load. Same automation, same concept.

So...how can a regional pilot with 600 hours and NO crew experience and no glass experience get trained to fly the RJ. Same way a B737 FO from Ameriflight can do it.

Seems to me like all the "other" requirements other then turbine time are just a way for big companies to limit their hiring or what not. Know the right person and be in the right place at the right time. Seems like that's the only way no matter what.

I think the real question here is about lifestyle. Looking down the road 2-5 years, both places will get you to the same place - PIC turbine.

If you like ameriflight's bases, work there. If you want to live somewhere else and commute, work for a regional.

Who cares if you get to a 'major' 1-2 years faster via ameriflight. If you hate the job and hate where you live, it's not worth it IMO.

~wheelsup

citabriapilot said:
Here's what blows my mind...someone mentioned that they want crew experience and like that the RJ has an FMS which pilots would be familiar with. Well, I may not know everything, but it seems like a new RJ and new B737 are basically the same type of machine. Very automated, nice FMS's, etc. etc. One just carries a smaller load. Same automation, same concept.

So...how can a regional pilot with 600 hours and NO crew experience and no glass experience get trained to fly the RJ. Same way a B737 FO from Ameriflight can do it.

Seems to me like all the "other" requirements other then turbine time are just a way for big companies to limit their hiring or what not. Know the right person and be in the right place at the right time. Seems like that's the only way no matter what.

Its easy to adapt with only 600 hours but when you fly round dials for a few thousand hours it sometimes can be harder to adapt to the automation.

Hey just curious if anyone out there can give me an idea of what life would be like, and if it were possible to get on at AMF in SEA. I recently left QX for a cargo carrier flying heavy iron. So far what I am seeing it is not for me. I was at QX for about 3 years when I need the move and would like to get on with Alaska at some point. Hopefully sooner then later. The life style of being away from home for over 2 weeks straight has me stressed and needing a change. Any suggestions?? Also Any word on the SEA base and times to get to PIC there?

skid said:
Hey just curious if anyone out there can give me an idea of what life would be like, and if it were possible to get on at AMF in SEA. I recently left QX for a cargo carrier flying heavy iron. So far what I am seeing it is not for me. I was at QX for about 3 years when I need the move and would like to get on with Alaska at some point. Hopefully sooner then later. The life style of being away from home for over 2 weeks straight has me stressed and needing a change. Any suggestions?? Also Any word on the SEA base and times to get to PIC there?

Sorry to hear your current position is not what you were expecting. In regards to AMF BFI, it is a very senior base, your best bet might be to call our ACP at BFI (Brent Love) and talk to him about being "part time on call". However right now we are a bit fat with pilot's at this time.

I made over $47,000 this year at AMF, but I took every TDY trip I could! Yippie! And I've been here just over 2 1/2 years.

Superpilot92 said:
Its easy to adapt with only 600 hours but when you fly round dials for a few thousand hours it sometimes can be harder to adapt to the automation.

So....more flight time makes it harder to push the AP button?

Latest resources

Back