Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CoolHands

Hey guys,

I did a lengthy search but I still have a couple of questions about AMF. I start class with them this coming monday for a pa-31 position at the DFW base. Is it possible to go straight from the pa-31 to the metro without flying the 99? I have about 850 turbine with a couple of types but need to build up my total time. I'd love to fly the 99 but there is only one based in Texas and it never sees Dallas. Also, after completion of basic indoc, is there a chance I will do my flight training in Dallas or will I just finish everything in BUR? I only ask this because AMF's website says training may take place at the domicile you were assigned. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide!:beer:
Scott

well,
you can go from the chieftain to the metro, but i wouldn't count on it happeing quickly. you've got the the turbine time, but you'll need something closer to the minimum total of around 2500. the company can hedge on that some, but insurance requirements won't let them go very far off of it. did you get pampa or vernon? you won't be doing your flight training in dallas, because there are no pa31 training captains or check airmen in dallas unless one of the tdy's fits that bill. most likely you'll train out of burbank flying down to san diego and over to vegas. hope that helps and good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks a lot for the reply Dirty Beech! I kinda suspected I was way short on the total time. I was assigned the Vernon, Texas run. I'm really looking forward to starting training since everything I've read about it says it's top notch. Thanks for taking the time as usual to answer!

:beer: Scott

Vernon TX

Vernon Tx is a hole. Nothing to do and it use to be a disgusting hotel in the hood. I think it was an econo lodge. I did the altus-okc run a few years back. Make sure to bring food, and something to do. When I was there there was no car and the hotel is a good way from the hotel. It is also not a very good time builder unless they added another stop.

On the flip side Ameriflight was a good company. Dallas was having some problems with its mx department at the time I was there but as a whole the company was very good about keeping good aiplanes in the sky. Ususally the people the most flexible are the ones who upgrade the fastest. I originally took the altus run to try to get a foot into the dallas base. Unfortunately it was stagnate with a lot of people who were not going anywhere for a while (people who were in the pool at SWA, most probably gone and their metro spots already refilled) or had seat locks (E120). I had to leave to get the 99 upgrade.

Good luck

Thanks for the info Secret Squirrel. Thankfully Vernon is only about a 2:30 drive to Dallas so I'll be able to head home on the weekends. I definetly agree with you that Vernon is no garden spot :D. I'm happy for now that I'm able to stay in Texas but I think your right, eventually I'll probably have to move outta state to get the upgrade. Thanks for the reply!

Scott

Dallas

Yea, that was my plan also. My wife has relatives in Dallas so I figured the same thing. It would have taken longer than I originally hoped. So is it a monday night to Saturday morning run? Will you drive out to Vernon on Monday night and then drive home again Saturday morning?

If you ever have to divert somewhere go to Altus. Everybody is really nice. Lots of women working at the FBO. Took me almost a week to realize they were on work release from the local womens prison.

vernon isn't so nice, but coolhands won't have to stay at the hotel as he'll be living there. you will get four takeoff's and landings everyday (and usually 3-4 approaches in the winter) as well as about 2.5-2.8 flight time there. get to know the people there very well. some of the guys at that airport are very well connected and willing to help up and comers. the three day weekends don't hurt either. good luck.

DirtyBeech said:
vernon isn't so nice, but coolhands won't have to stay at the hotel as he'll be living there. you will get four takeoff's and landings everyday (and usually 3-4 approaches in the winter) as well as about 2.5-2.8 flight time there. get to know the people there very well. some of the guys at that airport are very well connected and willing to help up and comers. the three day weekends don't hurt either. good luck.
Sounds like he will be living in Dallas. That means 3 hours getting home saturday afternoon and driving back Monday afternoon. I did it and it never works out as good as it sounds. My experience was that delays always happen on Saturday mornings leaving me getting home late saturday night. Plus, that means two residences unless Ameriflight agrees to put him up in Vernon again at the Econo lodge. I hope it works for him but not living in Vernon is going to be TOUGH!!! Almost as tough as living in Vernon.

Secret Squirrel said:
If you ever have to divert somewhere go to Altus. Everybody is really nice. Lots of women working at the FBO. Took me almost a week to realize they were on work release from the local womens prison.

ROTFLMAO!!! Dirty Beech is right, those 3 day weekends are gonna be nice. Jerry Clark told me the run is from Monday night to Friday morning, so I plan on driving out Monday afternoon and driving back to Dallas Friday morning after I land. My family and GF live close to DFW so I'll crash with one of them on the weekends. I'll only have one residence that I'll be paying for and that'll be in Vernon. Hopefully rent is cheaper out there than it is in the DFW area. Good tip on getting to know the people out there DB, thanks. I'm excited about the training and I can't wait to get on the line. AMF has been a goal of mine for awhile.

Last edited:
Monday night to Friday morning is nice. That should work out better for ya. I have been out of AMF for a while but the experience served me well.

ss

Latest resources

Back