Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EngineOut

Time to Make the Donuts!
First of all, please allow me to preface this thread with the disclaimer that I’ve performed a search and reviewed the “thousands” of Ameriflight threads prior to posting.

I anticipate relocation to Portland within a year. I am hoping to hang my hat with Ameriflight for 8+ years in Portland. From reviewing the AMF posts, I haven’t been able to get my hands around career progression at Ameriflight. I understand the duty days are long, the equipment operated, and the starting pay.

My priorities (in order) are locale, MX, QOL, pay, stability, and equipment (advancement and upgrade). By all accounts, it appears Ameriflight fits the bill to a tee.

It’s time to return the favor of moving around for my career to my old lady. Oregon is her call – time to come back home and buy a house, start a family, and be in a position to compete for a major/national opportunity in ten years or so. She has a great job, so household income isn’t a factor, but I won’t work for free just because I can.

If any long-term AMF’ers would care to reply, I have some questions:

1) Are there annual raises at AMF or do you increase your salary by upgrading equipment only?

2) Do duty days get shorter with seniority?

3) After five years, assuming a logical progression and ceteris paribus, how much could I expect to be making? How long would my duty days be? What would I be flying?

4) Am I nuts?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Last edited:
PM trybysky. He's been there six months in SEA and in on the 99 already. Six months makes him a long timer at Amflight.

I'm planning on applying to AMF as a PDX pilot this month when I get mins. I was just up in Portland this past weekend to check out the city,, great place. I can't wait to get my application in.

EngineOut,

Yes you are nuts!

EngineOut said:
First of all, please allow me to preface this thread with the disclaimer that I’ve performed a search and reviewed the “thousands” of Ameriflight threads prior to posting.

I anticipate relocation to Portland within a year. I am hoping to hang my hat with Ameriflight for 8+ years in Portland. From reviewing the AMF posts, I haven’t been able to get my hands around career progression at Ameriflight. I understand the duty days are long, the equipment operated, and the starting pay.

My priorities (in order) are locale, MX, QOL, pay, stability, and equipment (advancement and upgrade). By all accounts, it appears Ameriflight fits the bill to a tee.

It’s time to return the favor of moving around for my career to my old lady. Oregon is her call – time to come back home and buy a house, start a family, and be in a position to compete for a major/national opportunity in ten years or so. She has a great job, so household income isn’t a factor, but I won’t work for free just because I can.

If any long-term AMF’ers would care to reply, I have some questions:

1) Are there annual raises at AMF or do you increase your salary by upgrading equipment only?

2) Do duty days get shorter with seniority?

3) After five years, assuming a logical progression and ceteris paribus, how much could I expect to be making? How long would my duty days be? What would I be flying?

4) Am I nuts?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

PDX is a good place for piston pilots to biuld up multi-time, for a turbine you may be in for a long wait.

Pay and increases are determined by equipment flown and years of service.

Most of the runs are PDX based, a lot of the turbine runs are outstationed.

PA-31, C402, BE99, 1900, Metro's are the equipment.

MX is pretty good.

AMF is one of the better 135 companies to work for.

Ameriflight is a good place to build great time. Low timers can go from a piston to a turboprop in a relative short time depending on company need. You will fly mostly nights and will sleep all day, so you won't really have a life throughout the week but you will be building that time, which is a good thing. Most of the people I have met have been great but there are a few exceptions...Be very leary of the San Juan Base. The base MGR (I use the term loosely) is the biggest A$$ in PR. He suffers from a "short man" complex and treats the pilots like SH@^!! Ask anyone that works in PR or anyone that's been here or knows of J.M. (the flight attendant). The opinion is always the same (so don't take my work for it). All in all, Ameriflight is a really good place to build time...

Anyone flight instructed for them? I was maybe interested in building up time that way until I got my 135 mins. But then again night flying sounds tough for my lazy arse.

Pdx

PDX is a awesome base if you don't mind flying a cheiftain for a year or so. I would recommend it. You're home every night, even if it's from 7 pm to 6am. You may have somewhat long layovers but the flight time is generally 2 to 4 hours a day. Just being home everynight would be worth it to me. Dispatch is great, maintenance is great, pay is ok for what we're doing (better than most), and PDX is killing for pilots!!! They need you. We have one of our cheiftain pilots on temp. in PDX right now.

Where are the layovers? Roseburg, Kfalls, North Bend, Ontario, LaGrande, Redmond, Crescent City? As long as it's somewhere with an Abby's Pizza, I can live with it :)

Thanks for all the PMs and info, too. I'm pretty sure this is the right thing to do for us!

Latest resources

Back