Ameriflight Part 91 Instructing...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AdolphOlivrbush said:
Get on with a good regional...I can tell you from experience the QoL is much better. ME turbine CREW 121 PIC is the key to the big boys. I flew for AMF and the idea of skipping the regionals by logging 1000hrs PIC in the B-99 is a little far fetched...Folks can go from AMF to the majors, but the numbers are small. JMHO. Good luck.
I agree a hundred hours of turbine in a BE99 may not get you a job in the majors, but neither will 4000 hours of SIC in an RJ. There is an opportunity to get into a Metro or Be1900 in under 18 months at AMF. A 1000 hours or so of this type of time can get you into the majors. There are plenty of people having flown for regionals for over 5 years without any turbine PIC. How higherable are they with the majors?

If you work for Ameriflight you will work hard and many hours, especially if you work for the training department. You will not be able to make the kind of money you could make at this low time at many other places, or have as many growth opportunities. You will be expected to fly extremely well and work very hard. Think of the pace a UPS driver works at, plus flying single pilot, hard IFR.

A good regional? Those seem hard to come by these days, with more and more people flying for crap wages. I hear Air Wisconsin isn't too bad....

Ameriflight does seem like the place to be for a low-time guy. I asked this before but I'm curious what the differences were between an Airnet SIC and an Ameriflight part 91 instructor? These guys basically starting in the same place in the 135 world....?

Later

PS...******************** man, its 4:00 am and my buzz is wearin off...plus I came back from the bar empty handed....anyone else know that feelin?...im feelin it pretty bad right now....anyways...why else am i postin at FI at this godly hour?

SkyWest is a "good" regional. I've flown for AMF, and now I'm at SKYW and I have never questioned my decision. AMF is a good place to get some good IFR experience flying bigger ME a/c before persuing something better. I enjoyed my time there and if I had 600 hours, I think it would be a pretty good gig to get into.

I seriously doubt I'll spend 5 yrs in the right seat here...

AdolphOlivrbush said:
Not at skywest, but upgrades at Horizon and American Eagle are 5+ years. I know of someone who has been with Eagle since before 911 and is still sitting in the right seat.

I am not sure of the SIC program at Airnet. But the part 91 instructor for Ameriflight makes you a PIC and training captain. While you can't fly the line until you have the 1200 hours, you are already getting PIC, and more pay than average, as you are getting paid for instructing. Once you have the 1200 hours you are a line captain and a training captain, and possibly next in line for a Be99. Its a good headstart on a career.

The biggest difference I have seen between them is West coast(AMF) vs East(airnet), and that you get to wear shorts and a collared shirt at Airnet and got to wear a captains uniform for AMF, which has its advantages.

AdolphOlivrbush said:
SkyWest is a "good" regional. I've flown for AMF, and now I'm at SKYW and I have never questioned my decision. AMF is a good place to get some good IFR experience flying bigger ME a/c before persuing something better. I enjoyed my time there and if I had 600 hours, I think it would be a pretty good gig to get into.

I would have to agree Skywest is my pick for best regional. In fact ive had my application in with Skywest for over a year and not a peep from them. AMF is a great place to get some real world PIC experience but even I dont plan on sticking it out for 1000 turbine pic. 5am shows every day gets old.

It's awesome! You get to start your seniority when you do your right seat checkride. That way you can piss of all the line pilots when you get enough time to fly PIC and take their runs away because you're senior. Also, you'll get typed really fast because you go out to lunch with management. And, oh yeah, you deserve it! I mean, flying the line is easy, not like working 9 to 5 instructing. And oh yeah, make sure that the SOP's are followed exactly because with all your experience on the line you should know the dire consequences! Oh wait....well, you get the point.

I kid, I kid, its a good gig to build time.

Last edited:
If you go to AMF as a line pilot or an IP, just stay long enough to log the time you need to get on at a regional and get out. Don't get sucked in by the fact that you make more money to begin with. Last thing you want is to get stuck in a job because of money. A Metro or B-1900 type won't get you a job at a major (Doesn't hurt). But getting typed in an RJ or ERJ at a 121 carrier and having crew time under your belt will. More guys from the regionals are getting on with Southwest than guys from Ameriflight. The bottom half of the 200 plus pilot at AMF turn over pretty fast. Be one of those guys!

Flying at AMF will teach you to be one hell of an IFR pilot. If it doesn't.....your dead.

I left a regional to come to AMF and fly the Metro. The days ARE long and 5 days in a row can burn you out...but the pay is pretty good, they treat you pretty well, the job security is good and I like my job now soooo much better than where I was at. There's no way I'd leave AMF to go back to the regionals...not worth it at all, least for me. And at the rate this industry is going all of 121 pax ops looks iffy to me too (except for a select very few carriers). There's just something to be said for being home every night and having weekends and holidays off...4 day trips, no thanks (course I'm picky...I like being home and I pretty much refuse to move eastward). I think this is a good place to be. Good luck with your decision.

Latest resources

Back