• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ameriflight Part 91 Instructing...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do AMF guys have any jumpseat privileges with other carriers? How is the cost of living in Burbank? Nice town?

Lucky13 said:
A Metro or B-1900 type won't get you a job at a major
Hmm....try telling this to former AMF pilots who are now at SWA, UPS, US Airways, etc, etc.

AMF has j/s privileges with SWA.
As far as Burbank goes, I don't live there, but know its very expensive and difficult to live there on 1st year AMF pay.

JSky26 said:
Do AMF guys have any jumpseat privileges with other carriers? How is the cost of living in Burbank? Nice town?

burbank is in the heart of "the valley" of LA. you are 20-30 mins depending on traffic away from most areas. the beach, the hills, the mountains. you can live in an average part of the valley for around 800-1000 a month for a 1 bedroom. maybe cheaper depending on what area you want to live in. LA is an expensive place, though.

"ME turbine CREW 121 PIC is the key to the big boys"

Getting an interview recommendation is more (most) important. My F/O last week went from Amflight (1000 PIC turbine) to Skywest F/O for two years, to UPS. I've talked to guys before who went from Amflight straight to UPS, though that was a few years back.

Thanks for all the info guys. This job seems to be a good time filler for the guys with around 600-700 hours that don't have 135 mins or want to eventually fly for a decent regional (i.e. Skywest, Air Wisconsin, etc). Plus it gives you options to advance within AMF as well if that is what you chose. I'm sure that PA-31 Check Airman looks pretty decent on a resume...

Why is it that some regional pilots have it in their heads that everyone wants to be an "airline pilot" just like them and everything else is just a means to get there?

-QOL is subjective. "One man's junk is another man's treasure," you know?

-There are much worse places to be than AMF (many regionals, for instance).

-If your wet dream is to become a regional pilot, I would recommend just staying in the PA31 until you get your RJ job. Anything beyond that would make you way overqualified for any regional.

I know it's hard for some of you to fathom, but not everyone wants to be a hot shot airline pilot like you when they grow up. :rolleyes:

No offense to regional pilots- to each their own.

Last edited:
EatSleepFly said:
Why is it that some regional pilots have it in their heads that everyone wants to be an "airline pilot" just like them and everything else is just a means to get there?

-QOL is subjective. "One man's junk is another man's treasure," you know?

-There are much worse places to be than AMF (many regionals, for instance).

-If your wet dream is to become a regional pilot, I would recommend just staying in the PA31 until you get your RJ job. Anything beyond that would make you way overqualified for any regional.

I know it's hard for some of you to fathom, but not everyone wants to be a hot shot airline pilot like you when they grow up. :rolleyes:

No offense to regional pilots- to each their own.

Agreed, well said!

Hootie9750 said:
I would have to agree Skywest is my pick for best regional. In fact ive had my application in with Skywest for over a year and not a peep from them. AMF is a great place to get some real world PIC experience but even I dont plan on sticking it out for 1000 turbine pic. 5am shows every day gets old.

I went to interview and got called for the AMF instructor job at around 600 hours (and turned it down for a COEX interview during the groundschool), but that was back before those big buildings in NYC went crashing to the ground.

I ended up giving dual for another 1000 hours more than I would have liked (and begged to get that class date back at AMF: alas, no dice...), but it worked out for the best as I got on with my first choice regional (SKYW) and have moved up here better and faster than I could have imagined.

Looking back, I cannot imagine a better opportunity at the time for my experience level.

I'd say jump on it. It can only open more opportunities for you..

For the BE1900 and the Metro, do you AMFers fly them single pilot IFR? If so, why is it in 121 world they are required for two crewmembers? I'm confused.

Latest resources

Back