• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ameriflight EMB 120 bases?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I worked for a regional. I know exactly what the captains duties involve. I stand behind my statement and would put any 135 captain's decision making up against any 121 captains decision making any day.

And exactly how long were you a 121 captain?

I thought so. Lots of FO's think they know it all until they have to do the job themselves. Like the other poster who thought your statement was stupid I have quite a bit of left seat time in the 135 and 121 world.

In the 121 world much of the busy work is done for you. You don't call for wx or file flight plans. The FO can fill out a manifest if you're on the phone with MX trying to solve a problem. You still have a lot of decisions to make and they get far more complex in the 121 environment. For example you can divert pretty much anywhere with boxes. Not so easy with passengers. There's a lot to keep you busy. Trust me. If you ever make it to the left seat at a 121 carrier you'll be wishing you had never opened your piehole and said what you did.

What I saw in the 135 world was a lot of cowboys and guys doing stuff that would get them fired from any reputable airline. I was glad to get away from flying boxes.

Last edited:
I guess I'll chime in....Thats a really high horse for a throw away jet!! Try flying a Gulfstream or bigger across oceans international...now thats harder than 121

Last edited:
Well now, all of you ... flying a G-String across oceans and internationally is not very tough at all. I do it all the time and I'm not the brightest crayon in the box. It does take a different set of skills than flying a Jungle Jet PHX-BUR-PHX-LAS-PHX-ABQ-PHX day-in and day-out.

For my money, the guyz/galz flying a PA32R-300 or PA31-350 single pilot IFR in the weather and at night has to demonstrate outstanding judment and superior skills as an airman simply to stay alive. AMF does a GREAT job of teaching these skills. They have for more than 35 years.

Flying a G550 acrosss the arctic on a High Polar Route is a snooze, until something goes wrong, then it gets dicey. In the PA32R or PA31 ... night IFR/single pilot ... things are going wrong and getting dicey ALL THE TIME!

Now what does all this have to do with AMF EMB-120 bases?

Cheers,

TransMach

I guess I'll chime in....Thats a really high horse for a throw away jet!! Try flying a Gulfstream or bigger across oceans international...now thats harder than 121

I can't imagine being able to set up for an approach with only 6 hours to brief it. Good thing I will have an FO, autopilot, weather radar, and FA to help ease the work load.

Amf

very well put Transmach....thanks for the support.

And exactly how long were you a 121 captain?

I thought so. Lots of FO's think they know it all until they have to do the job themselves. Like the other poster who thought your statement was stupid I have quite a bit of left seat time in the 135 and 121 world.

In the 121 world much of the busy work is done for you. You don't call for wx or file flight plans. The FO can fill out a manifest if you're on the phone with MX trying to solve a problem. You still have a lot of decisions to make and they get far more complex in the 121 environment. For example you can divert pretty much anywhere with boxes. Not so easy with passengers. There's a lot to keep you busy. Trust me. If you ever make it to the left seat at a 121 carrier you'll be wishing you had never opened your piehole and said what you did.

What I saw in the 135 world was a lot of cowboys and guys doing stuff that would get them fired from any reputable airline. I was glad to get away from flying boxes.

I know you don't know KSU aviator personally, and therefore some of your ignorance and snobbish attitude are understandable. I, however, do know the man and he has plenty of time left seat flying both pax and boxes. His Thundercat tendencies aside, the man's knowledge and experience are nothing to sneeze at. I would fly with him anytime, anywhere, in any weather. You can disagree with his opinion all you want. Just try not to show your ass so readily so often.

Btw, totally agree with Transmach. The boys and girls flying PA31's single pilot IFR are earning their paychecks. They have and deserve all my respect. Except for when I get stuck behind one.

Latest resources

Back