• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

whymeworry?

Posted on Avweb last week. Discuss.

AVMAIL: NOVEMBER 16, 2009
Letter of the Week: Whining Pilots

In a given week, my career responsibilities may take me to two or three cities across the US. On more than one occasion, I've seen both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts on the same itinerary. Airline travel is not without annoyances, but in recent weeks, a particular thing has started working its way to the top of my list of travel peeves; whining airline pilots. I can guarantee with 95 percent certainty that if two or more people with white shirts and epaulettes are chatting together in an airline terminal, they're probably complaining about their jobs.

Airline flying is among the most respected of all professions, and the outwardly negative demeanor I see detracts tremendously from the well-earned image. As a private pilot who strives to maintain the utmost professionalism in my flying, I'm heretofore going to do my own part to restore prestige to the role of commanding the big iron. From now on, whenever I see pilots complaining in the terminal, their names and an account of their actions will be sent to airline customer service at my earliest convenience. I'd encourage the rest of my travel companions to do the same.

Airline pilots, I know the job ain't what it used to be, and it's not likely to change for the better. Ruminate all you want in private, but when wearing your uniform in view of passengers who entrust their lives to you, provide the modicum of professionalism the people expect. If that's too much to ask, please turn in your stripes and earn your pay on the ground like the rest of us.

Matthew Sawhill

Then a great follow-up letter.....

Letter of the Week: Pilot Complaints Send Signal

I invite every airline passenger to follow Matthew Sawhill's lead and write up all airline crews to their employers' customer service departments immediately. That's a great idea, actually! Maybe THAT will get management's attention, since nothing else seems to work.
I know this is an argument I cannot win, but here's my two cents.
The attitude displayed by Mr. Sawhill is just another data point to add to the already burgeoning pool a data points that clearly illuminate just how troubled the industry is: all parties are unhappy. That is the grand achievement of deregulation.
I know it may seem puzzling, Mr. Sawhill, that people with such a seemingly enviable job as flight crew actually feel a need to complain. Maybe the level of negativity you refer to is a valid indication that something is deeply wrong in the industry. Maybe, Mr. Sawhill, you should spend a year riding around with crews, living their work lives, and listening to their accounts of the insidious destruction of a once-prestigious industry before issuing such a foolish edict. It sounds to me like you need to listen more.
Maybe unhappy employees at any company are the proverbial miner's canary.
Larry Wertsch

Know it all Private Pilots.. Cute how he's a private pilot and professional in his flying. Big difference between work and play.

Sawhill is probably the same jackass I flew a few years ago. He walked up front as we were taxiing out in the 1900 and said, "You forgot to start the other engine."

:uzi:

Sawhill is probably the same jackass I flew a few years ago. He walked up front as we were taxiing out in the 1900 and said, "You forgot to start the other engine."

You gotta be kidding me! It would be hard to respond nicely to such an idiotic statement. Gotta love the weekend warrior.

Did he call you out on forgetting to do the magneto check as well?

One morning,we had to de-ice due to frost.At the gate at the destination,the gate agent says "A passenger has a question,is that ok ?" Yeah,sure.This doofus with thick glasses and a bad comb-over says "I want to know why we de-iced when there were no clouds ? "...

Guys like that ruin it for everybody. I was written up by a passenger for showing another passenger the flight deck. Not like they had anything on me but I had to waste my precious time off explaining why I left this young aviator see the cockpit. For the next month every time someone asked to see the flight deck I said NO. Just didn't want to deal with the bs. Now I've backed off and let anyone up there on the ground but still. It takes one guy to ruin it for everyone.

A buddy told me how he was written up by a passenger for announcing a FAs b-day on the PA. Was told to call the CP and explain within a half-hour of landing. Now he doesn't do any more PAs. So who was the tool who had a problem with his announcement? We'll never know.

Latest resources

Back