• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

America's Deadliest Jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I doubt that is just professional pilots that fly for a living. I'm sure that includes all the weekend pilots, non-instrument current pilots, and the typical guys that say "yea I'm a pilot too, I got my pilot license".

I have lost a few buddies since my career started but few were from a 121/135/91k flight.

I doubt that is just professional pilots that fly for a living. I'm sure that includes all the weekend pilots, non-instrument current pilots, and the typical guys that say "yea I'm a pilot too, I got my pilot license".

I have lost a few buddies since my career started but few were from a 121/135/91k flight.

I would disagree with your assessment, and world view of the situation. I can think of a lot of dead pilots in just 2009. FedEx MD-11 121 N526FE, A Lear 60 in SC 135, Colgan in NY 121 N200WQ. Those were only the one's that made the news. I also think that figure includes 135 Helicopter Ops, like Air Med Flights. And don’t forget about flight instructing. Just think a little harder and you will see a deadly profession.

Those were Department of Labor statistics for people who died on the job, by definition I doubt they include GA weekend pilots.

Despite the relative safety of air travel, being a professional pilot has been the deadliest (1920's, 1930's time frame) or one of the deadliest professions since it began.

Those were Department of Labor statistics for people who died on the job, by definition I doubt they include GA weekend pilots.

Despite the relative safety of air travel, being a professional pilot has been the deadliest (1920's, 1930's time frame) or one of the deadliest professions since it began.

Do the statistics really support this? I mean when you factor in the amount of hours/miles flown? I think we are way safer than in the 1920/30s.

We lose some 40,000+ people on our highways each year! Still the most dangerous part of the job is driving to the airport.

Do the statistics really support this? I mean when you factor in the amount of hours/miles flown? I think we are way safer than in the 1920/30s.

We lose some 40,000+ people on our highways each year! Still the most dangerous part of the job is driving to the airport.

Those aren't statistics based on number of pilot deaths per revenue seat mile or something just total deaths. Absolutely much safer now then it was in the early days of aviation. Still one of the deadliest jobs though.

In the early airmail days etc there was probably a 50% plus mortality rate for the guys who stayed in it. Nothing close to that now.

Kinda hard to die behind a desk, we will always be at the top of those statistics until the robots take over ;-)

-kingaira90

Deadly profession??...yeah, keep telling yourself that.

You would have a far greater chance of dying in a car crash if you had a M-F office job and drove in 20 days a month.

But hey, whatever justifies that "living on the edge" feeling, Maverick.

;)

Never came close to dying by pushing the envelope or racing F-14s on my motorcycle....but I did forget my Cipro once on a 4 night Mumbai trip....now that there's a dangerous aspect of this "deadly" profession.

Latest resources

Back