• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American's Jumpseat Policy???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know how it feels to be left at the gate by an AA agent and a half filled a/c!! But, J32, go the extra mile for a fellow pilot. I think they are changing their policy. Always welcome as many JS's as you can!

And, please everyone go the extra mile to get someone on! I have changed altitudes, alternates, even route of flight to get the burn to accommidate everyone. All summer I did not bump one rev or nonrev/JS! And, if I can do it I know you all can;)!! Wil

I agree with Wil 100%. J32driver, not allowing some guy a ride home or to work does nothing to solve the problem. I commute on AA from Florida and have been turned away by the gate agents a bunch of times, so I know your discontent. But again, to keep the pilot group unified is the only way to help the situation. Give a guy a ride, and the favor will be returned. Fly Safe.

Frank

English.... You DA WOMAN!!!! Drink offer still stands!

Guys/Gals..... I too have done everything possible to fill every seat including the jump seat. And I will continue to do whats necessary to get people home.

The fact still stands though, AA's jumpseat policy is supposed to be based on reciprocity. They give what they receive. Well.... why shouldn't I do the same. Maybe when that AA jumpseater watches my little barbie jet push off the gate with 5 empty seats, they will pick up the phone, call their Union Jumpseat Coordinator, and maybe SOMEONE will finally give the AA gate agents the information they need to CORRECTLY interpret the AA jumpseat policy.

AGAIN... I will not enjoy leaving an AA jumpseater behind, but if this problem isn't fixed... I certainly will.

J32driver said:
AGAIN... I will not enjoy leaving an AA jumpseater behind, but if this problem isn't fixed... I certainly will.
Jumpseat denials to some poor slob trying to get to work (or home) accomplishes nothing. Well, maybe it may make you feel better. You don't think you'll get the same result talking to the guy directly after letting him on?

It seems to me that jumpseat policy for an airline comes from the management of the company, not from the line pilot. As a line pilot you try to do everything in your power to get everyone on every time. While working for a carrier a number of years ago, AA pilots and Delta pilots used to show up on a regular basis and ask for the jumpseat. I always gave it even though they did not have the ability to reciprocate because of their company policy of no OAL jumpseaters. Its been awhile ago, but I think Delta pilots could not even ride their own jumpseats except for deadheading, my memory fades.

Everyone has to use their own judgement and gut feel for what is right and what is wrong. I personally will not deny the jumpseat to anyone (within my companies policy), not even the new LCC pilots whose companies intent seems to be the destruction of the piloting profession that was once a great choice for a career. The pilot is just a working stiff trying to get somewhere for whatever reason and has no ability while he is standing there asking for a jumpseat to change his companies policy.

J32driver said:
English.... You DA WOMAN!!!! Drink offer still stands!

Guys/Gals..... I too have done everything possible to fill every seat including the jump seat. And I will continue to do whats necessary to get people home.

The fact still stands though, AA's jumpseat policy is supposed to be based on reciprocity. They give what they receive. Well.... why shouldn't I do the same. Maybe when that AA jumpseater watches my little barbie jet push off the gate with 5 empty seats, they will pick up the phone, call their Union Jumpseat Coordinator, and maybe SOMEONE will finally give the AA gate agents the information they need to CORRECTLY interpret the AA jumpseat policy.

J32DRiver,

AA's jumpseat policy IS based on reciprocity. The problem is, they haven't gotten to all the carriers yet. So far only 4 are on board - USAir, Horizon, Southwest and Comair. Our jumpseat union guy and management have both confirmed that "more will be coming on board."

I do understand your frustration with the lack of reciprocity going on right now. I'm sure you'd be a lot more understanding if you worked over here and realized just how little control we flight crews have while at the gate. "Captain's authority" has diminished to absurd levels. Believe me, as a lifelong commuter I would be more than happy to carry ANY commuter from ANY airline in every seat if I could.

If I could make a suggestion... Please don't take out your frustrations on fellow commuters trying to get home / to work because of a Management decision that is out of our hands. You will see that treating others the way you wish to be treated will pay off handsomely in the long run. Unfortunately, you are not being treated the way you should when commuting on AA because of s-l-o-w change. Nevertheless, it is a change in the right direction and eventually, all reciprocal carriers will be welcome at AA with unlimited jumpseats.

I will personally look into the Air Wisconsin agreement and pass on what I find out. Just so you know, a few weeks ago I tried my best to help one of your AW captains get onto the DFW-ORD 777 jumpseat with a full flight. He was listed as a D6L, but with CASS agreement. What that means is that AW is not an "Unlimited jumpseats" carrier yet, but he can sit in the actual j/s. I had to ask the agent to please consider letting him speak to the captain - as she was getting ready to close up - and she let him on. As you can see, you have to get past the agent here at AA, and that's usually a hassle- we are renowned for that. Hopefully that will change too.

Best regards,
aa73

Here is the deal. Bottom line if you have questions or problems you should speak with your jumpseat coordinator.

As far as Air Wisconsin goes, unfortunately the computer says you are not CASS approved and you are not on the unlimited jumpseat list. This tit for tat thing that you plan on is nonsense, the agents and pilots are just following what is printed. You must direct your problems and frustrations to your jumpseat committe if you want change. Good luck.

I am with the Air Wisconsin guy...... Return the exact reciprocity that you receive from each carrier........ That is how things get changed..... not by some J/S coordinator who probably has never commuted in their life...... Base chief pilots get enough calls from stranded guys then they will get off their butts and get it fixed.. Period... All this pilot brotherly love is a bunch of bull anyway....Do you really think very many AA guys give a rats hind end about about Air Wisconsin

I am not sure which airlines that take unlimited jumps that operate with the CAS system. I am aware that even if they say they do the captains still control everything. I was jumping out of ORD on a United 737 and the gate agents let me on even though there was already a jumpseater ahead of me. I was told because our carrier was in the CAS system it did not matter to them. However the captain did not allow me on the airplane even though there was 5 open seats in the back and the one up front. He said the usual response of he can only allow the # in back that there are up front. So all in all the CAS thing does not do mean crap if you are dealing with fat headed captains on an ego trip.

dogg said:
I am with the Air Wisconsin guy...... Return the exact reciprocity that you receive from each carrier........ That is how things get changed..... not by some J/S coordinator who probably has never commuted in their life...... Base chief pilots get enough calls from stranded guys then they will get off their butts and get it fixed.. Period... All this pilot brotherly love is a bunch of bull anyway....Do you really think very many AA guys give a rats hind end about about Air Wisconsin
Dogg,

You obviously believe in an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Fine. Sorry to say, that is NOT how things get changed. That is exactly how you RUIN a jumpseat agreement. Get enough guys to turn down AA jumpseaters, who in turn will turn down AW jumpseaters, and you can see how the story will end. Not good for long term agreements.

I don't care what airline you work for. I don't care if you believe that you need to retaliate. What I do know is that if you want a ride to work on my aircraft, I will do my best to get you on. Because I am also a lifetime commuter, and I know the hassles of commuting.

Turning down jumpseaters because of decisions out of our control is not only unprofessional - it's immature, and it accomplishes nothing but animosity towards each other's pilot group. It definitely does not change the agreement and probably hurts it in the long run. Especially if that particular airline is on its way to gaining "unlimited" status.

aa73

Latest resources

Back