Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

J32driver

Strokin it...
I was under the impression that American now extended unlimited jumpseats to carrier's that did the same to them. Is this not so?

I am an Air Wisconsin Captain. I have happily extended unlimited jumpseats to the American Pilots for almost the last year. I just watched 3 MD80s depart with empty seats because your computer says "Restricted" for Air Wisconsin. On the other hand, your gate agents are putting mulitiple United pilots onboard because it says "Unrestricted" next to them even though UAL does not extend the same courtesy to an American Pilot.

NOTICE: As of today, I will no longer accept multiple AA/Eagle jumpseaters on flights that I operate. If one of you shows up, welcome aboard. If more than one needs to catch a ride, one of you better plan a different way to get to work.

I will not enjoy denying a ride to anyone, however I feel that this issue will not get fixed until it presents a problem for the AA pilot group. My pilot group has already made the request through our Union Jumpseat Coordinator. I thought the problem was fixed... apparently not.

Signed:
Just another stranded commuter.

I believe "unrestricted" for UAL means they can sit in the cockpit, not unlimited seats in the back.

Will check when I go to work.

AA pilot

J32driver,

Sorry this sort of thing has to happen. As for SWA and AA, we just signed a multiple jumpseat agreement with AA and I’m sure AA and UAL did the same. It appears they left the little guys out...not sure. Even at SWA we don’t have multiple jumpseat agreements with everyone, it just depends.

It all boils down to reciprocity … if they don’t let you get on there MD-80 (S-80 for AA folks) when plenty of seats are available then you shouldn’t let them get on your aircraft when you have seats available. Not sure it will send any message to the top, but you could go out and talk to the others you plan to leave behind and let them know your thoughts on the situation. I think that's what I'd do.

RJ

viking737 said:
I believe "unrestricted" for UAL means they can sit in the cockpit, not unlimited seats in the back.

Will check when I go to work.

AA pilot
Thats what I thought as well. I tried to offer that up to the gate agent and he would have none of it. I asked if I could speak with the captain, the gate agent said "Sure, do whatever you want... But the captain won't and can't overrule me on this".

Talked to the captain, and he wasn't sure of the rules himself... so I got left behind. The other 2 flights, I didn't get a chance to talk with the captains. It was different gate agents all 3 times.

Viking 737... Thank you for looking into this. All of us commuters sincerely appreciate any effort you put into it.

RJones.... you can bet that If I have to leave anyone behind, they will be aware of the reason. I'm not the type to bump somone and not explain why. I sincerely hope I never have to bump anyone. I know its not the fault of any individual pilot.... I'm just tired of spending an extra 5 hours at the airport when I could have been home on the 1st flight.

Write this down...these are the codes you need the next time you are refused a jumpseat at AA or AE. Have the gate agents look up these STARS (in RES) and you'll get the straight scoop.

N*APS04052
F*PSM/CASS
F*PSM/D6/LIST
F*PSM/D6

These records display everything a gate agent needs to know to accomodate CASS and non-CASS jumspeaters, including the D6U (unlimited) and D6L (limited) jumpseat classifications.

You can buy me a drink later...

Last edited:
Can I still have the drink anyway? ;)

I wouldn't proceed to tell an AA gate agent what codes to type in to her machine. They are WWII Germans and everyone knows it. I was summarily dismissed because it was a "super 80" with only one jumpseat. My airplane has one jumpseat, and we're supposed to welcome as many jumpseaters as we have cabin seats open. All I could say was "thank you anyway..."

The crew were standing right there and didn't say a word. Unhappy I was, and unhappy you'll be AA, when you come to me for a ride...

Last edited:
I know what you mean, Oakum boy. But, I've found diplomatic ways to do it anyway, and helped several offline pilots get the jumpseat.

Latest resources

Back