Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American the place to be in a few years?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Contrast that with a RyanAir pilot in Europe. They spend 50k to get their type, then get hired by RyanAir at 23 years old with 250 hours total time. Pay is 85 Euros per hour for the right seat and 130 Euros for the left with a 5 year or so upgrade. These guys are making over 100k from the moment they join the airline industry. They have already earned approximately 1.5-2 million dollars by the time they reach the average age of an AA newhire. This is the carrier that is the supposed bottom feeder of the industry.

Don't forget that the cost of living in Europe is WELL above that in the US. You can barely buy a park bench in the UK for what you can buy a 2,000 ft2 4bed house in most places in the US.

If you were living on $ and spending it in the US, flying for RyanAir would be a great deal.

Don't forget that the cost of living in Europe is WELL above that in the US. You can barely buy a park bench in the UK for what you can buy a 2,000 ft2 4bed house in most places in the US.

If you were living on $ and spending it in the US, flying for RyanAir would be a great deal.

I love it how someone always find an excuse for the US pilots to be the lowest paid pilots in the civilized world. The Ryanair pilots are some of the lowest paid in Europe and they make as much on their first year captain pay as some of our 12 year seniority legacy captains, but since we have walmart I guess that is ok

Since you guys keep bringing up RyanAir maybe you should spend some time on pprune and check out what people have to say about them. Do they make decent money, some (captains) even quite good? They sure do. BUT, there are SO many things making one not wanting to work for RyanAir.

Not saying things are rosy at US carriers, but RyanAir takes the cake in my, and many other's, book.

I have JAR and the right to live in the EU and I'd honestly rather work at Walmart than RyanAir. I'd be more proud to work for Wally than O'Leary.

I love it how someone always find an excuse for the US pilots to be the lowest paid pilots in the civilized world. The Ryanair pilots are some of the lowest paid in Europe and they make as much on their first year captain pay as some of our 12 year seniority legacy captains, but since we have walmart I guess that is ok

It's not an excuse for anything. People frequently throw around Euro payscales as a comparison, but rarely grasp the serious economic differences between the cost of living in Europe vs the US.

This goes for jobs outside of aviation as well: the average wage for the "same" job pays higher than in the US. You are paid more, sure, but it costs a lot more, too. It has absolutely nothing to do with Europeans having fairer compensation -- it has everything to do with differences in economies and values of currency that have existed for many decades.

Again, look at the costs of housing -- I was recently living in the UK in an 1,100 ft2 house with 3 bedrooms that rented for $2500 a month, and that was one of the biggest houses in the neighborhood. Others were paying a similar mortgage (or rent) for even smaller, older houses.

It's not some panacea over there.

No, but probably better than Usairways.:eek:
AA
Sorry but I gotta differ with you. We may be locking horns in labor battles but our relations with management is still far superior than the labor/management relations at AA. Unless my furlough is imminent I'll take a deferment if/when AA offers me recall. I don't need to leave the frying pan for the fire.

Latest resources

Back