American pilots weren’t allowed to strike, so instead they did something clever

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The simple truth here is this:

In the given scenario, and my response to it, the probable outcomes would be simple...

- Crew deferral of the item and departure.

- Contract MX shows up and defers/fixes the problem with subsequent departure.

It is highly unlikely that a company would not provide the contract maintenance required or not call out their own maintenance to return to the field and fix the problem.

But, in some extreme scenario, where a legal departure would not be possible....unless the crew "bends the rules"...aka: departs in willing, violation of FAR's....Well have at it. That's up to you.

I'm a little short on cash this month. I might just write a check on an empty account to cover some expenses.

Just a lil' "bending" of the rules ya' know....for good reason.

YKW

Well... darn I guess x-mas is F-ed.

Its Oct, I know Thanksgiving, Xmas, New Years, and most of the futures holidays will be spent in a Holiday Inn, or something similar, the past 15 years support that prediction.

What do you do? You tell the pax they're not too bright!

When was the last time you connected at an outstation!

HA!

Uh, maybe you don't get it.

It's at an outstation, full of connecting passengers. That is to say, the passengers connect when they reach the destination [hub].

And now for the Devil's Advocate..

Are there times when a fella' MIGHT just say "to Heck with it ....I'll take the risk and worry about it later" and leave with a non-deferable, un-corrected, MX issue ?

Absolutely.

Maybe you find yourself in a Desert where a lot of angry people like to wear "hats" made out of towels and colorful pieces of cloth, and they like to shoot rockets and stuff on days that aren't even the 4th of July.

And maybe, this MX item is going to cause you to ground the aircraft and stay in a hostile environment, subject to rocket attacks, or you'll wind up in a local hotel in a country that apparently was founded by some guy named "Stan". A place where your lily white Arse is a shining beacon ( aka: "Target ) for all to see.

Well yeah, maybe, just maybe....a guy might weigh his options in a different manner.

:)

Having to spend a night in a Ramada in PHL on X-Mas eve really isn't worth the possible repercussions.

However, the prospect of having to spend a lifetime ( which may be very short at that point ) in a cave/cell with a bunch of heavily bearded fellows asking you questions all day and night might weigh in differently in the decision making process.

Yes...That could be an " EFF' the nav. light, and the bent antenna, and the (whatever the hell else is wrong ) let's get OUT of here and figure that out later !! " scenario.

Besides, there aren't a lot of FAA folks in most of the "Stans" anyway.

:)

WL

That's a tough call. I've stayed at that PHL Ramada and think staying in a war zone might be a little safer! ?

This is the thinking in middle class America that will ultimately doom middle class Americans. Look at Romney's (and his ilk) history. They hate unions, they outsource jobs, they lower wages. Get a clue, you won't HAVE a union to "get a better contract" if Romney wins this election. Their ultimate goal is to make unionism illegal, they may say otherwise because they still need some of what little union vote is left, but why do they keep proposing legislation that makes it harder to organize and harder to remain organized?
People making just enough money to put a roof over their heads and feed their kids don't buy airline tickets, and Romney and his kind are flying their own jets or being flown around by Netjets, Options, Flexjet, etc. Trickle down is the biggest hoax ever perpetrated on society, yet people still believe it when there's 30 years of proof showing its only trickled UP.

I am VERY conservative and anti union. I don't know anybody who wants to make unions illegal. Nor have I heard of anyone who wants to make unions illegal.

The simple truth here is this:

In the given scenario, and my response to it, the probable outcomes would be simple...

- Crew deferral of the item and departure.

- Contract MX shows up and defers/fixes the problem with subsequent departure.

It is highly unlikely that a company would not provide the contract maintenance required or not call out their own maintenance to return to the field and fix the problem.

But, in some extreme scenario, where a legal departure would not be possible....unless the crew "bends the rules"...aka: departs in willing, violation of FAR's....Well have at it. That's up to you.

I'm a little short on cash this month. I might just write a check on an empty account to cover some expenses.

Just a lil' "bending" of the rules ya' know....for good reason.

YKW

OK Captain Cain Mutany, I think we know where you stand. What if your pregnant wife is in labor and you have to take here to the hospital, you gonna exceed the speed limit? Against the law you know.

OK Captain Cain Mutany, I think we know where you stand. What if your pregnant wife is in labor and you have to take here to the hospital, you gonna exceed the speed limit? Against the law you know.

No he wouldn't because he doesn't know when it's appropriate to go a little outside of the box and bend a rule.

I just would have said it was working when we left the gate (even if I knew it wasn't) flown to the hub, and drinking egg nog w/ canadien must w the fam shortly after. Problem solved, we ain't making swiss watches out here.

This thread just shows how spot on the "Last of the dinosaurs" thread is. Two different mentalities. People who are captains and think and act like a captain, or people who are robots and think and act like the feds and their DO are across the fence with binoculars watching them on Christmas eve at an outstation.

Spoken like a man who's never had to work under the Albany FSDO... :laugh:

On one fine holiday evening, our POI walked around our plane for ten minutes, and finally had us ground one of our airplanes because a D-ring in the middle of the cargo bay was missing. Nevermind that our operation never used that D-ring for anything, and that our W&B program allowed loose cargo anywhere in the bay. It wasn't in the MEL, and if we didn't put a hard writeup in the book for that D-ring, violations would be handed out.

Just because your fed isn't hiding in the bushes, don't assume someone else's isn't. Some of them really, truly don't have anything better to do.

Latest resources

Back