Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yup. That's what I said:

" Move the cargo/payload/paperwork around until it is correct and legal..."

There are about a thousand ways to do that as we all know.

The problem with all these hypothetical , black-and-white scenarios IS the authors want to put you in a " are you going to break/bend the rules" absolute, situation.

There are usually several solutions that will leave you an out that is a safe, logical, and legal path of action.

Whiner

You're not wrong. However, you would have taken a delay and would've gotten a call from the CP. Some guys aren't scared of that, others are. The chickenball CA I was with that day bumped a PAX. I'm sorry but I think there are better ways to get it done.

I like talking to Chief Pilots...they are my friends, and they are "there to help me" ( :) ) utilize ALL the tools that the FOM/MEL has provided me with.

I like using those tools, in the aforementioned documents, especially when they benefit ME and allow me to play by the rules.

Some of you may call me a "tool" if you wish....I don't really care.

I just try to keep the job safe and sane, simple and legal.

El Whino

Last edited:
Maybe there's something else that can be removed?

My previous company carried a mounted spare tire in cargo in case it was ever needed at an outstation. When faced with a similar situation (about 10 pounds over max zero-fuel weight), I got authorization to have that tire removed at the outstation so we could take everybody and their bags. We picked it back up next time through that outstation when the loads were lighter.

Of course, that was when everybody was getting along. Things like the above pretty much stopped when they instituted the "get sick 3 times in six months and you're fired" policy. And they wonder why they got a union. :rolleyes:
That depends on how the Operating Empty Weight is calculated and whether the tire is considered. Otherwise you need a different OEW to start with.

"I don't think many Officers would write a ticket to a panicky husband trying to get his wife and unborn child to an emergency room ASAP by driving 10-15 MPH over the speed limit."

So it's okay for a Police Officer to exercise some judgement and discretion about "bending a rule", but not an airline captain - Yea, I get it now.

So, let me get this straight...
In the context of an interview question (not on the line, but being asked a question), you would say "yes, I would go" (and violate the FAR's in doing so)?

What the heck do you guys do when nobody is watching?

"I don't think many Officers would write a ticket to a panicky husband trying to get his wife and unborn child to an emergency room ASAP by driving 10-15 MPH over the speed limit."

So it's okay for a Police Officer to exercise some judgement and discretion about "bending a rule", but not an airline captain - Yea, I get it now.

No.

Obviously ...you don't.

:)

YKW

Latest resources

Back