• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well I'm sure management will understand when pilots can't make it to work because the jumpseat wasn't available even though the rest of the plane was wide open.

As will yours, too, when the domino effect of denying j/s goes both ways. Trust me, friend, this is not the way to go about it. Everyone loses.

As will yours, too, when the domino effect of denying j/s goes both ways. Trust me, friend, this is not the way to go about it. Everyone loses.

aa73--I understand your comment and it would be valid IF we weren't fighting AMR for the jumpseat.

I totally understand why the other carriers are upset with our system--they negotiated to gain access to empty cabin seats and don't understand why we can't do the same.

Many other airlines have aggressively anti-pilot management. AMR takes it to a whole 'nother level. I'd like to think JH will change the tone and the practice WRT jumpseats. I REALLY hope it happens. Until then, we're stuck with our current arrangement and are at the mercy of other carrier's response to that policy.

TC

I two and three leg commuted for about 7 years and there wasn't a day of it that didn't suck. Having done so, I bend over backwards to accommodate commuters and am very happy to now work for an airline that was one of the first to allow as many jumpseaters as there were open seats. With that said...

AA created a reciprocal agreement with UAL to allow unlimited jumpseating, even though they didn't bother to extend that agreement with other airlines that already were offering them the same deal. My question to you is, what did YOU do about that? How many of your peers have written letters to the Director of Operations? How hard has APA publicly pushed the issue? Yes, everyone loses when the jumpseat is used to make a political statement, but guys from MY company lose because as AA717 says, "we're stuck with our current arrangement". What possible reason does your company have to change it?

I'm in NO WAY saying I wouldn't take a plane load of AA pilots today, tomorrow, and forever regardless of how you answer the question, but the "geez I'd love to help but my management is stingy about that" doesn't help OAL guys get to work.

*AA, if this sounds personal, it's not. I just think it's kind of a raw deal for OAL guys.

I know why everyone's ticked off, and join the club - we all are, none more so than the AA pilots who want it changed. I'm just saying that the way you guys are thinking about is the very worst way. Please be patient - it will get worked out in the next contract.

aa73,

What APA should do is publicly relay to all other pilot groups nationwide to do the same. No unlimited AA jumpseaters. When AA is forced to cancel flights this will change asap. This should not be something your neg. comm. should have to worry about, nor negotiate for. Let other pilot groups do the work for you.

Yes, everyone loses when the jumpseat is used to make a political statement, but guys from MY company lose because as AA717 says, "we're stuck with our current arrangement". What possible reason does your company have to change it?

I'm in NO WAY saying I wouldn't take a plane load of AA pilots today, tomorrow, and forever regardless of how you answer the question, but the "geez I'd love to help but my management is stingy about that" doesn't help OAL guys get to work.

*AA, if this sounds personal, it's not. I just think it's kind of a raw deal for OAL guys.

I agree with get2flying. It sucked when the gate agent one day refused to list on an empty flight because there was already one jumpseater who had showed up before me.

Jumpseat is a reciprocal courtesy. How is that reciprocal when sometimes 3-4 AA pilots commute on us and when in similar circumstances they refuse to take more than 2???

I think we should change our computers so that only one of them could be listed. That's not vengeance, that's just fairness.

Sometimes you have to cause a little pain for the greater good. A similar thing was happening at DL a few years back. They could sit in the actual jumpseat on our flights, but us lowly regianal pilots were being left at the gate. It was always the same excuse..."I'd like to take you, but the company...". So a group of senior pilots got together and said no mas.

We didn't weasel out of it. We explained to everone who got denied, why they were being denied. They didn't like it, of course, but they went to their MEC, and the MEC went to the company, and guess what? It took less than two weeks to fix the problem!

Latest resources

Back