Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

xjhawk

American Airline Jumpseat Agreement [toc]
At the MEC meeting in October, your representatives passed a resolution to work with the American Airlines jumpseat chairman to try and gain unlimited jumpseat benefits with American, like we offer their pilots.

The resolution stated if we were unable to achieve reciprocal benefits, we would modify our agreement to allow American pilots only one jumpseat to preserve a fair and reciprocal agreement.

American Airlines has decided not to allow unlimited jumpseats to the Mesaba pilots, and your MEC has decided to act upon the resolution to limit our jumpseat policy to coincide with the American Airlines agreement.

At our last MEC meeting, your MEC passed a resolution directing our jumpseat chairman to work with management to limit the American Airlines pilots to a single jumpseat. The Pinnacle, Colgan, Compass, and AirTran MECs are all considering the same resolution.

We believe 6000 pilots standing together restricting their jumpseats to AA pilots will have a large impact on the American Airlines operation. This impact will encourage them to rethink their position and offer similar jumpseat benefits to what all five of our airlines offer them today.

We will keep you informed when the changes take effect. Please note this change will restrict ONLY American Airlines, NOT the pilots of American Eagle.

I had no idea the American MEC thought so highly of themselves. Why would they not give what they are getting? But then again I had an American 777 Captain in Spokane try to steal my Jump seat by talking his friend (the gate agent) into refusing to let me have it. I had some nice threatening words promising to get her fired unless I got the jump seat. I was hoping that one idiot was not a representation of all AA pilots........

AirTran has been in talks with the AA pilots for a long time. We have requested unlimited as well as international agreements with no succes.It is my understanding , however, that it is management that holds the jumpseats hostage and not the pilots.
Unfortunately management has to sign off on any agreement and they use this during the "forever" ongoing contract negotiations as leverage... This info came from our jumpseat coordinator. If true, noone can really ask AA pilots to give up anything just so they can go get laid in southamerica (or commute to work of course)...

okay, I will cut them some slack. Negotiations are tough-except that one guy from Spokane :)

Most pilots at AA are unaware of the policy. I gave an AA guy a ride a few months back and told him about their limited jumpseat policy with several airlines and he didn't know anything about it.

The only way it will change is if the AA pilots get involved or the AA operation is affected by the inability of people to get to work. I had heard that an airline was able to limit their jumpseats and within a week it was fixed.

You guys don't understand. APA doesn't control (or, for that matter, have ANY influence on) jumpseat policy at AMR. We rely on the benevolence of AMR for our jumpseat policy.

Please do not direct your ire at the AA pilots (there's plenty of other issues to save that for... ;) ) over the single jumpseat issue.

And, you're right, most AA pilots live in a bubble. It's changing but, for the longest time, most AA pilots lived in base and traveled exclusively on AA.

The AA pilots are changing. I don't not EVER expect AMR management to change so do what you have to do WRT the jumpseat issue.

TC

then next time a guy is at the gate go give him a buddy pass.....otherwise, why do you leave people at the gate and then beg that we don't do the same.

If every carrier banded together and gave 60 day notice that every carrier would do the same and they got worried about there pilots getting to work or them canceling flights this would get resolved. Just like trying to list for there jumpseat between the hours of 8am-2pm Central time monday through friday as the gate agents will not list you.

What TC (AA717driver) said - we are trying our best, but the company is not budging right now. And they own the jumpseat, not us. We hope to get it fixed in our next contract.

AMR tries to make it as difficult as possible for offline to jumpseat.

He!!, they make it difficult on us, too! They have bred a culture of animosity between the employees that may never change.

It is a toxic environment.

TC

What TC (AA717driver) said - we are trying our best, but the company is not budging right now. And they own the jumpseat, not us. We hope to get it fixed in our next contract.

Well I'm sure management will understand when pilots can't make it to work because the jumpseat wasn't available even though the rest of the plane was wide open.

Latest resources

Back