• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Flyers Online CFI Renewal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm in the middle of the AF course right now, seems pretty standard to me. I completed my CFI renewal 2 yrs ago using the Jepp course. The two are basically the same. I think the Jepp course was a little more $$.

I think AF is just trying to corner the market on folks like us, just trying to keep the dang thing current, not really utilizing the ticket. Very smart in my opinion. Probably have gotten more "one time" payers like me than they would have ever gotten just doing the standard thing.

On a side note get this: I got a letter in the mail a couple weeks ago from Jeppesen. Letter basically said that their computer system, the one that stored all my personal info (including my name, ssn, address, etc.) had been hacked and data had been accessed without authorization. Luckily my credit card data is encrypted on their servers so according to Jeppesen, it should be safe. However I'm one of those people that still used my SSN for my certificate numbers. Jeppesen does not know what info was accessed or taken but basically the letter gave me the names and phone numbers of the three credit agencies to call and set up a credit watch on my name in case someone tries to apply for credit in my name. I have since changed both my pilot and instructor certificate numbers via the FAA's website. It only takes a couple of minutes. change your certificate number I suggest everyone take this opportunity to change their number now if you haven't done so. Unfortunately it took this circumstance to motivate me into action.

Last edited:
Chalk me up as another endorsement for the American Flyers course. Yes, you have to do something to refresh it every 10 minutes, and yes I'm sure there are better systems out there. Who cares. I don't. The objective is to keep current and American Flyers does the trick.

I'm getting ready to renew for the third time and it's more satisfying every time I do it. I enjoy watching that $100 investment keep on giving. For those who say $150 every two years is no big deal--well, to each his own. To me, a hundred fifty bucks is a hundred fifty bucks. I can think of better things to do with that money every two years than watch slick CFI renewal animations online.

Contrary to what some say, the Am Flyers course really doesn't take much time and I personally don't find it be a hassle. I usually do it in one or two days in between other things.

If you like spending more money every two years, go with with Jepp or
Gleim.

Lebowski said:
If you like spending more money every two years, go with with Jepp or Gleim.

I agree, if I was a CFI as a career, I'd want to be the sharpest that I could. I'd gladly pay more for something that was better quality, after all it's a tax writeoff.

However, I'm not a CFI anymore, but I do want to stay current. To me, AF is great. Yes, the presentation sucks and I don't really learn anything, but it's just checking a box. I paid $100 4 years ago, and every time I renew my CFI it costs me nothing. To me that's a great deal.

When u are taking the section quizes for American Flyer you can open up two browsers and sign in twice. One browser would have all the text and the second when you sign in would be the test. So you can go back and review if you don't know an answer. You just keep minimizing back and forth. Test are the same every year for the last 6 years with just 1 or 2 question changes every other section.

Latest resources

Back