Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VW Pilot

MMM...PIGEON CASSEROLE
Ok here is the deal. I have been working on my ratings, currently instrument. My Instructor was a Furloughed AA type rating ground and Level D sim Instructor. Well he got called back to work and now is teaching 737-800 and I have kept contact with him. He's trying to push me to get all the required flight time and ratings because he said he could assist me into American Eagle and if Time persists...into the cockpit of an AA MD-83 right seat of course....my question is...do you guys recommend American Eagle? I've heard some not so good things about them...I mean...we all know a regional is a 'Regional" carrier....you shouldn't expect much anyways.....Anyword on these guys? Pros? Cons? Thanx....August 2009 is a long way away.....

Ok here is the deal. I have been working on my ratings, currently instrument. My Instructor was a Furloughed AA type rating ground and Level D sim Instructor. Well he got called back to work and now is teaching 737-800 and I have kept contact with him. He's trying to push me to get all the required flight time and ratings because he said he could assist me into American Eagle and if Time persists...into the cockpit of an AA MD-83 right seat of course....my question is...do you guys recommend American Eagle? I've heard some not so good things about them...I mean...we all know a regional is a 'Regional" carrier....you shouldn't expect much anyways.....Anyword on these guys? Pros? Cons? Thanx....August 2009 is a long way away.....

You must be out of your damn mind. First of all, Eagle is no prize to "get you in". You're better off going to SkyWest off the street. Then let him "get you in" at AA.

Now regarding that point, do you really believe he, a "level D sim Instructor", is going to succeed in moving you ahead of THOUSANDS of more qualified applicants when AA starts hiring again? If so, I have a very long bridge between Vaca Key and Little Duck Key to sell you.

Why don't you use the search function.

Also, I'd like to offer you the chance of a lifetime. Why sell yourself short and settle for a S80? I mean, aren't you worth more than that? You almost have your instrument done for crying out loud. I'm a level D2 sim instructor and for a few thousand dollars can get you into the right seat of a 757 at AA. My name is Cash and all I need is for you to write a 5 thousand dollar check in my name and send it to me.

When AMR spins off Eagle, who knows whats going to happen. They have ATRs, CRJ-700s, and the real money maker, the 35 seat ERJ. Save his networking abilities to help you out at American, but I wouldn't count on him getting you into the first new hire class next year.

Pennekamp, you do not own a bridge.

Being at AE when AA eventually starts hiring could turn out to be a poison pill. If you want to get to AA you should go somewhere you can upgrade ASAP and start building the PIC turbine time. I would recommend Skywest, CHQ, xjt, somewhere like that. If your friend really has any influence it wont matter what company you work for, so just go build up the PIC time.

Apparently back in the days when AA was hiring last time (late 90s-2000s) if they came across an AE applicant off the street they would contact AE HR dept and have their personnel records sent over and if there was one blemish, sick call, missed assignment, etc then there was no way they were getting hired. Even guys with perfect records were passed up due to increased training costs for AMR as a whole by hiring someone from AE.

So your friend is a type rating instructor, ground instructor, AND level D sim instructor too? If he is all three of those, then you definitely should have no problem getting hired at eagle.

What do you mean by him "assisting you into the cockpit an md-83, right seat of course." Like there's ever a question that a newhire would start anywhere else other than the right seat at AA. LOL

good luck anyway, just have your backpack and ipod ready.

You forgot to add in Tom Arnold. Big mistake. I'd look over your shoulder if I were you.

Latest resources

Back