• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ed Harley

American, JetBlue partnership takes off

Dallas Business Journal - by Kerri Panchuk Web Reporter

Send this story to a friend

Email address of friend (insert comma between multiple addresses): Your email address: Add a brief note:

Enter words from the security image above: Get new image | Image verificationAudio verification | reCAPTCHA™

Related News

Find Executives

American Airlines said Monday its partnership with JetBlue will begin Monday, allowing the two airlines to connect customers to 18 domestic markets where they previously did not compete.
JetBlue passengers also will be able to connect to American flights out of Boston and New York to international destinations, including Barcelona, Spain, and Tokyo, Japan.
Additionally, the two companies have agreed to a frequent flyer deal in which JetBlue TrueBlue fliers will be able to earn miles through American’s AAdvantage program, and American fliers can earn points from certain JetBlue flights.
The partnership between the two airlines will operate primarily out of New York’s John F. Kennedy and LaGuardia airports and out of Boston Logan International Airport. Fort Worth-based American (NYSE: AMR) also will transfer eight slots it has at Ronald Reagan National Airport and one slot out of White Plains, N.Y., to JetBlue.

Read more: American, JetBlue partnership takes off - Dallas Business Journal

Interesting if the DOT allows this slot transfer after they told Delta/UsAirways no way.

Meanwhile, JetBue pilots think they don't need a union.....

mmmmhmmm sure

Meanwhile, JetBue pilots think they don't need a union.....

mmmmhmmm sure

You didn't put a lot of thought into this post, did you?

The American pilots have a union. On the APA site, they are mostly P..ed off and fear that their company is shrinking their flying/bases and giving flying to Jetblue. Nobody thinks they have the advantage because they have a union. They are writing emails to their union and hand-wringing because they think their company pulled one over on them. They think Jetblue (and their pilots) are going to benefit at their (APA's) expense.

Also, there is a goodly amount of us at Jetblue that think we need a union. The vote failed last time but there will be another one. Hopefully it passes this time around. Also hopefully if ALPA is voted in, our pilots will have real expectations of what having a union can and can't/won't do for you.

Jetblue and American will never merge, but will codeshare. Its the best of both worlds, not putting high costs on the jetblue operation and still providing high quality feed to American's international operations. I expect to see a comprehensive code share agreement in place by Q4 2010 or early 2011.

AA just giving up on domestic routes out out BOS and JFK. Why would they merge, they'd only be paying for flying they've already given to jetBlue. BOS used to be an impressive focus city, with 5 west coast cities daily, 4 or 5 Caribbean, 2 777s a day to London, a 76 to Paris, and a 757 to Manchester England and Shannon Ireland. They've given so much domestic to jetblue they cut a lot of the international.

They don't want to cut the international, hence the codeshare. And until recently AMR gave nothing to jetblue, jetblue took it by providing a better more competitive product then amr could or was willing to provide. There is no doubt that jetblue is an innovator, and American's higher costs did not help them, but in the end it still comes down to the fact that jetblue simply (first class withstanding) provides a superior product at a lower price.

Diamondd,

No knock on you.....I used a broad brush painting all of you as the guys who voted no.

You are absolutely correct with everything you said.

Diamondd,

No knock on you.....I used a broad brush painting all of you as the guys who voted no.

You are absolutely correct with everything you said.

Way to "man up". Respects to you, my good sir.

Jetblue and American will never merge, but will codeshare. Its the best of both worlds, not putting high costs on the jetblue operation and still providing high quality feed to American's international operations. I expect to see a comprehensive code share agreement in place by Q4 2010 or early 2011.

So, it's like a merger with a permanent fence around the A320/E190 flying and vice versa. I guess it is the best for the company, it's a merger without a messy SLI.

It's the "best of both worlds" alright, just not sure if it is for the pilots or management. I guess if you can't beat'em, join'em.

Latest resources

Back