American Airlines Payscale

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money

I'll make 126K at Eagle this year, but I sure work harder than an Super 80 pilot. 401(k) match is dollar for dollar at 8%, which is better than many non-airline company.

How many hours did you have to work to make that money? I'm sure you worked a lot harder for that paycheck than a lot of us out there.

Lets not start comparing W2's, it could get embarrassing:pimp:

No APA did what they get paid to do...represent the best interests of their pilots. ALPA said screw the TWA guys because they knew the dues money was going away. Don't be pissed at APA be pissed at ALPA.

well they are suing ALPA........

Since this thread was a little "flame-ish" to begin with, I'll take it further off course...

APA had NO duty to represent the TWA pilot's interests in the integration. "Fair and Equitable" means as much in an integration as it does in negotiations for buying a used car. Anyone who believes anything different is criminally naive.

ALPA did NOTHING to support the TWA MEC at the time (other than giving directions to the attorney behind the MEC's back). The other carriers litterally turned their backs on the TWA MEC at the BOD meeting. There could have been great pressure brought to bear on APA to encourage them to produce a better deal. It would have been ugly but it would have set a precedent and defined ALPA as a union rather than an ASSociation.

There is plenty of blame to go around. TWA's CEO passed on another deal from an outside party because it would have cost him his job (and $1M signing bonus that AA paid). The TWA MEC had violent infighting before, during and after the talks. The merger committee had the wrong people at the wrong time (by the time we got the right people, it was post 9/11 and a done deal).

If I was an AA pilot in the bottom 1/3 of the list and 9/11 happened, what would I expect from my union? Throw me under the bus or throw some other schmuck from another airline under the bus? Someone was gonna get run over.

As a pilot on the AA seniority list in the bottom 1/3, post 9/11, I'm expecting nothing less from here on out. We've paid our dues. TC

"Could it be that you're projecting your internal anger at yourself outward, making others guilty instead of you ?"

Yes. That is it exactly. Now that I have calmed my Inner Child I feel better.

Thank You.

Now, the sad fact remains that you are whoring yourself out. Why? Wouldn't you like to spend more time with Family and Friends?

"Forgiveness is the key."

I agree. You are forgiven.

"Kumbaya My Lord, Kumbayaaaa..."

Merry Christmas,

YKW

Last edited:
I take a contrarian view and say good for you. IMHO, you only have so many years to feather your nest while you're young and healthy. While I [too] attempt to maximize my time with family I try to balance that with stuffing as many acorns away for winter as I can while the trees are full!

PS Allah willing I will attempt to beat your total in the next 12 months! :D

BBB

May you be successful in your goals !

How many hours did you have to work to make that money? I'm sure you worked a lot harder for that paycheck than a lot of us out there.

Lets not start comparing W2's, it could get embarrassing:pimp:

If one were to fly 83 hours/month, one would fly the maximum of 1000 hours/year.

Plenty of 16-18 day off lines at approx. 83 hours/month at Eagle, if you're senior.

One must also note, that hours payed do not equal hours flown. My least number of days off in any month has been 12, but a 4 months with vacation it was 14-16. Remember, many ways to get paid for hours not actually flown.

But again, I don't commute by air, which would make my pay somewhere in the low to mid 90K range, because then, yes I would have no life.

I'm just about at the point, that I wont need a pension............I've already got it, market and diversification willing.

I plan to coast in a relaxed and peaceful state for my last 20 years, but still making a decent buck. If I should lose my ability to fly (for whatever reason), then I should still have a good pension in 20-25 years. That is because the beautiful Green flower needed then will have been planted carefully 25+ years prior.

Live modestly, save early.

"Could it be that you're projecting your internal anger at yourself outward, making others guilty instead of you ?"

Yes. That is it exactly. Now that I have calmed my Inner Child I feel better.

Thank You.

Now, the sad fact remains that you are whoring yourself out. Why? Wouldn't you like to spend more time with Family and Friends?

"Forgiveness is the key."

I agree. You are forgiven.

"Kumbaya My Lord, Kumbayaaaa..."

Merry Christmas,

YKW

Ah, but you have only played to the ego. An attack against your brother or sister is really an attack against yourself. You only feel better BECAUSE you've justified the ego's importance.

But, you see my dear brother, I am not sad.

I am happy.

How do you know that I don't spend time with family and friends ?

How do you know my life or the content of my daily existance ?

These are assumptions rooted in your own self-anger projected outward to make ME guilty of something and not you.

Neither of us are guilty of anything.

Neither of us are "whores".

If someone chooses to work a little harder now for benefit and peace in the future, I say "bravo" and so should you. Many do that all over the world and it doesn't mean they're whores.

Those who condemn others for doing so have not recognized the subconcious reasons they condemn and attack others.

Merry Christmas and a happy 2008 to you, my dear brother.

May you find peace.

"Live modestly, save early."

Here, we are in total agreement.

It is basically your opening statement concerning how much your W-2 is where I take umbrage.

Really, who cares? It's just money. And, IMHO, it's how you earn and use that money that counts.

I do take issue with SO many of us in this Industry that whore themselves out, and step on their fellow Pilot's backs in their endless quest for the God Almighty Dollar.

They do so to further conspicuous consumption so that they might impress their friends and neighbors with all the accoutrements of being an "Airline Pilot".

Apparently, from the quote above, it seems that you are not one of those types.

Great.

But why do you feel the need to tell us how much you make?

Yes, I made an assumption about you ( apparently erroneous ) that you were like so many others I have seen in this business. My apologies if I missed the mark.

I have seen too many of our so-called "Brothers" in this business pick up huge amounts of open time in their thirst for money/posessions, while other members of their Seniority List stand in the unemployment line.

That's just not right...and YES, it does anger me.

So, I see that Eagle has no furloughees and that you are just trying to "make some hay while the sun is shining" so that you can control your own destiny in this business to some degree.

Good for you. I try to live the same way.

Unfortunately, it seems you might be an exception to the general rule.

Again, Merry Christmas,

YKW

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back