• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Airlines - Like Sinus Drainage,

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
American Eagle doesn't fly ATR's to MSN anymore. If you're riding on an ATR, than it has to be Trans States, but that would be a long ride from STL.

EagleATR

Wow! I was just wondering if Eagle or Trans states started flying into EAU, chill dude.

But actually, since you offered I will take the itinerary.

Here's proof positive, though, that the public doesn't care about our problems (incompetent crew scheduling, etc.). They just want results.

Why would the customer care about crew scheduling, deregulation, RJDC, code sharing, contract negotiations, outsourcing, flow backs, flow throughs, FARS, duty time issues, flight time issues, ceilings, visibility, TFR's, whether or not you can make your rent payment...etc etc etc? That's not the customers job description.

When you go into wallmart and buy a gas grill, do you ask the salesman how long he was on his feet that day or how come his tech employer decided to downsize, leaving him to fend for himself as a sales associate at a chain store?

It'll be a sad day in hell, that I gotta go into a restaurant for dinner and have to sit at my table and listen to my waiter/waitress whine on incessently about how bad it is to work there. Nor do I want to go into the kitchen and see how they peel potatoes.

Last edited:
I guess the real question from the first post is does Jetblue, Aitran, SWA charge for liquor in coach? I thought they did so what is the point?

If you do not want to pay for liquor in coach then take JB or SWA to Mexico City. By the way was that the crapy customer service?

Did the plane depart and arrive on time?

Was the plane clean?

Were you treated well by the FAs and gate agents?

Are you accumalting miles on the AA loyalty program?

Or arey ou pi$$ed you had to buy a beer, and you are going to let everyone know because of that AA is horrible airline.

I believe Greyhound goes down to Mexico city since JB and SWA do not. It is about a 24 hour drive, and you still have to pay for your beer.

AA

WrightAvia said:
Why would the customer care about crew scheduling, deregulation, RJDC, code sharing, contract negotiations, outsourcing, flow backs, flow throughs, FARS, duty time issues, flight time issues, ceilings, visibility, TFR's, whether or not you can make your rent payment...etc etc etc? That's not the customers job description.
:confused: Uh, yeah. That was my point. Thank you for emphasizing it.

A better example would be, for example, a waitress coming to my table and teling me they've run out of pistachio ice cream, and I respond by berating her incompetence and declaring Waffle House "like sinus drainage...with silverware."

The general public is too stupid and spoiled to realize that there are certain realities that all airlines deal with.

Last edited:
The general public is too stupid and spoiled to realize that there are certain realities that all airlines deal with.

Remember that is your customer you are talking about, the same people that pay your pay check. My buisness would fold if I thought that about my customers, they can be as spoiled and as stupid as dirt for all I care, as long as they pay the bill, I am happy.

SD

SDdriver said:
Remember that is your customer you are talking about, the same people that pay your pay check.
Please. :rolleyes:

I do everything I can to keep my passengers happy because I want them to keep coming back to my company. I shake hands, kiss babys, explain and apologize for delays, help with carry-on bags, etc, etc.

That doesn't mean I'm going to get on "The Hangar" at Flightinfo.com and talk about what a genius the average U.S. airline traveler is, okay? I'm not going to praise the nimrod who tries in vain to stuff his fifty-gallon duffel bag in the overhead bin muttering "it always fits on ____ Airlines." I'm not going to applaud the folks who think it's a good idea to have eight or nine beers and then get on an airliner. I'm not going to talk about those wonderful folks who would rather risk their toddlers' lives than put them in a car seat. I'm not going to tell you how much I respect the man who accuses me of being a lousy pilot because I won't launch into a level five cell (LTGCCCCG) with a gusty forty knot wind. ("That Piper Cub with 'Freight-Dog Air' painted on the side took off...why can't you?")

The TSA needs to turn down those magnetometers. They're cooking peoples' brains whe they walk in the door.

l see. The airline model for improving the perception of good service is to simply point out to the customer, that he/she is wrong in expecting a flight to be properly manned for a scheduled departure?

Some states are posting better than 8 percent unemployment. Lots of businesses are not traveling as much as they did before the economy turned down. So between the loss of the vacation traveler and business traveler...the airlines have to fight for the remaining business with fare cuts, which in turn meant layoffs and wage concessions from the airline employees.

So two questions...(you guys brought up government regulation) how is government re-regulation of the airlines going to make people go back to work in the factory or the office that laid em off, so they can afford to go on vacation?

And how is the re-regulation of the airlines going to get the businessmen back to work selling things and designing things for the manufacturing sector, so there is a need for business flying again?

You guys miss the point. Airline travel ain't about YOU. It's about the CUSTOMER. Your wage negotiations, scheduling problems and all the other crap you sit up front and think about, is not on the customers minds. It never will be and never should be.

WrightAvia said:
l see. The airline model for improving the perception of good service is to simply point out to the customer, that he/she is wrong in expecting a flight to be properly manned for a scheduled departure?
No, we're already doing that.

For starters, hiring people with some sort of work ethic, and then paying them what they're worth would help. I'm not talking about pilots, either. I'm talking about flight attendants, rampers, baggage handlers, lav service troops, gate agents, etc. You can't take a kid out of the projects, pay him/her seven ninety an hour, stick them at a gate with a 60% staffing level, and expect them to delight every customer.

We don't need to improve the perception of service. We need to improve the service!

I know it ain't about me, but when a guy who belongs on Greyhound (if not for the low-fare days of deregulation) whines about paying for drinks, it doesn't impress me.

AAFlyer - chill. I thought the article was funny, and it appears to have generated a bit of discussion.

To answer your questions:

I guess the real question from the first post is does Jetblue, Aitran, SWA charge for liquor in coach? I thought they did so what is the point?

My last international flight on a domestic carrier was October 2001. Drinks used to be free on international flights, and I believe they still are on foreign carriers. I paid $450 for a flight from Orlando to Mexico City. This was a group fare by the way, so thats the rock bottom rate.

My point is the removal of free drinks on international flights is a deterioration of customer service. Four bucks for a bud light (which used to be free) after I shelled out $450 to travel 1300 miles.

Did the plane depart and arrive on time?

Yes

Was the plane clean?

Yes

Were you treated well by the FAs and gate agents?

Yes. Though I've had my incidents with snotty FAs too.

Are you accumalting miles on the AA loyalty program?

No, I didn't fly American because they were even more expensive. That caused me to take the long route to Mexico through Atlanta (Delta).

On an unrelated note: Unfortunately for the consumer, American has a death grip on the Caribbean and Mexico markets. I don't understand how I can fly to Hawaii for about the same price I can fly to the Caribbean.

Or are you pi$$ed you had to buy a beer, and you are going to let everyone know because of that AA is horrible airline.

Like I said I didn't fly American. I don't have anything in particular against them. I thought the article accurately describes the experience that all airline customers have at one time or another. I don't think any of the majors are horrible airlines. Its the whole flying experience which sux, and it starts on the expressway entrance to the airport. Hurry up and wait....

Even the pilots on this board have been ragging on the homely, surly FA.

I believe Greyhound goes down to Mexico city since JB and SWA do not. It is about a 24 hour drive, and you still have to pay for your beer.

:D

Hey, my wife and I are trying to book a flight to Italy this October and they still very expensive, and the fares are going up! Right now the cheapest from Orlando is $950. If I want free drinks, should I fly Italia?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back