• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American 191

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understood that the FO was flying at the time and as others have said the airspeed was held as appropriate flawlessly. I believe the 10 was modified with a slat pin so that loss of hydraulics will no longer cause the slats to retract.

Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.

James Taylor....

I'll drink to the crew that did everything right. Makes you think about things a bit.

Salute!!

I was a little boy living in the suburbs when this happened. I remember it well. It was so powerful watching it on the news because they actually had it on tape. It was a sad day

So the captain was flying V2 (as he should)

This was also changed after 191 - if you lose an engine between V2 and V2+10, you hold what you got, instead of pitching up to V2.

You won't find a better, more detailed, and illustrated analysis of AA 191 than in:

Air Disaster, Volume 2
by Macarthur Job
Aerospace Publications Pty Limited
North American distributor: Motorbooks Intl., Osceola, WI

All 4 volumes are available at Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1875671196/ref=pd_bxgy_text_2_cp/202-9662071-8064652

I remember AA 191... I was 7 years old, camping with my family. I was too young to understand how tragic this was.

I highly recommend the four Air Disaster books, which provide probably some of the best lessons of what to do, and what not to do when it comes to flying.

I highly recommend the four Air Disaster books, which provide probably some of the best lessons of what to do, and what not to do when it comes to flying. [/B][/QUOTE]

I second the above...............

I vaguely remember that they programmed the exact machanical scenario into a sim and had quite a few guys fly the sim. The vast majority crashed. Also IIRC there were a few who flew it away and survived, but I forgot what they did differently.

The only thing I could think of would be to maintain some airspeed at the expense of altitude. Then, as the slats bled retracted and the aircaft began its roll, get the slats up with enough airspeed to avoid the now higher stall speed.

Another problem might have been this: With full aileron, the spoilers would differentially deploy, further adding drag and losing lift in a critical scenario.

Latest resources

Back