American 191

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mugs

Hard to believe that it has been 25 years today. It still leaves me at a loss for words just thinking about it.

AA191

My dad was on the -10 panel at NWA back then, and the whole fleet was grounded for a while.

i was just reading about Delta 191 L1011 that landed short of 17L at DFW in a microburst and hit a water storage tank in 1985.
Flight 191 needs to be retired, anyone know if it has been?

My dad was a DC-10 F/O for AA back then. I remember that afternoon sitting around playing Monopoly (the board game) with my brother. I'll never forget the look on my dad's face when he came upstairs and told us what had just happened. As we started watching the news reports, I remember the phone started ringing off the hook as all our relatives started calling. Like eaglefly said, it is one of those events that you remember as if it happened yesterday.

I was a college kid at home for summer break........heard the news on the radio and looked out my window to the west and saw the smoke rising up......... a moment in time one never forgets.................

For anyone interested there will be a show on the History Channel tommorrow night about this ... 8 or 9 pm I think.

Fly

I was having dinner about 15 years ago at a friend's parents place. I can't remember how flight 191 came up, but here is the story that was told:

My friend's father was holding tickets for that Flight 191. He was walking through the terminal to his gate. On the way, he ran into a friend of his that he had served with in Viet Nam. Apparently, they had not seen each other since they were discharged. They went and had a couple of beers, one thing leads to another, and he missed his flight.

Crazy.

Latest resources

Back